LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

custom vs ultra

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-09, 10:05 AM
gs4bkny
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default custom vs ultra

strongly considering bying a Ls430 04+. I haven't decided weather i should by a ultra or custom luxury vehicle. What are the differences between the two and which one would be the better by with all things considered? ( i.e. maintanence cost etc.)

thank you in advance
Old 05-04-09, 11:39 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i bought a UL so i could slap a datasystems controller on it and drop it like its luke warm,, on account of the factory air suspension on it and all. i also like having a spot to keep a couple water bottles incase i gets thirsty
Old 05-04-09, 01:00 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Default popular question

Originally Posted by gs4bkny
strongly considering bying a Ls430 04+. I haven't decided weather i should by a ultra or custom luxury vehicle. What are the differences between the two and which one would be the better by with all things considered? ( i.e. maintanence cost etc.)
That is one of the most commonly asked questions on this board. Here are several links to help you out....https://www.clublexus.com/forums/3610666-post26.html and https://www.clublexus.com/forums/3249171-post15.html

I am a fairly new member here, with my purchase of my 2005 LS430 about 6 weeks ago. I got the Modern Luxury package..but now, if I had to do it all over again, I think I would have opted for the next step up, which is the Custom Luxury. I would have loved the "smart" cruise control, and the power door closers (both are added features of the custom AND ultra lux). The doors in the LS are kind of heavy, and I think it would make it ALL worth while if my date (female) didn't close her door all the way, and the car then automatically sucked it closed..like an F-15 canopy..lol. I know, I know...SAD HUH---utilizing my car to get "some"..lol. Hey..I need all the help I can get! lol. Juuuust kidding!

PS...I THOUGHT I wanted the Ultra Lux when I first started looking at the LS's, but now realize, for me, paying the extra expense (and potential extra maintenance/service) for the UL would not have been worth it. Most of the UL's extra goodies are in/for the back seat occupants! Also, I don't like the crooked look of a lot of the UL's (because of the air suspension!) You can read/see what we mean with this link...https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...cs-thread.html

Let us know how you make out..good luck! (and we love pics..lol)

Ara

Last edited by LS430inDE.; 05-04-09 at 01:33 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 05-04-09, 02:47 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Man... all these repetitive questions can only mean one thing... MORE MEMBERS !!!! I guess the economy is bad for some, but the LS CPO market is good for others.

Like many have said before, let "SEARCH" be your best friend when you're on the forum. This question has been asked may times before, and even are on two recently active threads.

Rule of thumb with CL or UL in my opinion... do you have kids (two or more) and will you EVER sit in the back to enjoy being a passenger?

All of the UL options (and currently LS460's rear packages) are all rear passenger (I'm a chaeuffeur for my office workers) driven and for them. There is nothing extra on the UL that you don't get on the CL trim, except for the air suspension. If you are the driver 90% of the time, and then front passenger 9% of the time, and maybe in back the 1% of the time that you're drunk? Then you won't enjoy the rear entertainment, AC, massage, etc. anyway.

I have three kids (yeah, I'm crazy) and so the back is taken by them and no one is using the center console anyway. So, it was CL as the perfect step for me.

Welcome and hope you can join us soon as an LS owner.
Old 05-04-09, 02:55 PM
BlackUltra
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got a 2006 Ultra because I liked the ride of the air suspension. But I'm 61 years old and comfort is everything. Had it since last November and haven't experienced any problems but only have 40k on her. Just love all the extras and even have my wife drive on long trips just so I can sit in the back and enjoy all those goodies.
Old 05-04-09, 03:29 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BlackUltra
Got a 2006 Ultra because I liked the ride of the air suspension. Just love all the extras and even have my wife drive on long trips just so I can sit in the back and enjoy all those goodies.
thats what i'm talking about ^ ^ ^. i enjoy being driven around too, to bad it only happens ever so often...
Old 05-04-09, 09:47 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

when you're buying used, get UL, almost same price as CL anyways...
Old 05-04-09, 10:50 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

You will get many mixed reviews about UL due to the air suspension. Some have taken second day jobs to warn others about the troubles associated with the UL's air suspension they experienced, while others have been living just fine with it.

Its really up to you. If your the type that must have all the gadgets, then the UL will be the best choice. Otherwise the CL will do just fine. Read the offerings of both packages, and see what works best for you. Good luck.
Old 05-05-09, 05:40 AM
hoonunya
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Many of the posts on the board have talked about the differences between the UL and the CL. The UL had air suspension, rear seat goodies, and smart access that were not standard on the CL. I think many CL's had smart access but it was added as an option.
Air suspension is a mixed bag. It gives you the choice of a softer ride and the option to not sit so high as the CL. (The CL is almost 2 inches taller than the LS400.)
The air suspension is a potential costly maintenance item at over $1000 (some have said up to $1600) per wheel. Several people on the board have removed the air suspension. Others are unhappy with the right rear low lean of the air suspension.
The UL is better if nothing fails, but you have to decide how much risk you want to take and how much you will use the rear seat goodies.
Old 05-05-09, 07:31 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

the datasystems controller is the deciding factor for a few people on here and i know i am one of them... i am guessing that you ^ ^ are not into lowering the car, or you would have mentioned this as a reason to get the UL as well. fully adjustable ride height with the UL and the addition of a controller.
Old 05-05-09, 09:30 AM
hoonunya
Pit Crew

Isn't there an age limit for ownership of a data system controller? (maximum age)
I didn't notice the age of the original poster. At age 58, I think I would be laughed off the planet if I had a data system controller and slammed my car. I didn't even know what slammed was until I joined this site.
I do, however, think that the 430 looks a lot better lowered somewhat. The non air models look very tall to me.

Since the original poster is slightly younger than my youngest child, they would probably have more fun in a UL, but a UL will probably cost more now, be harder to find, and more at risk of problems.
Signed,
Dad

Last edited by hoonunya; 05-05-09 at 09:36 AM.
Old 05-05-09, 09:34 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by hoonunya
Isn't there an age limit for ownership of a data system controller?
Watch it there gramps!
There's no age limit on ownership of the controller, but just a limit on how much you can drop it. You can drop it 1.5" until you're 60, thereafter you're limited to 1".
Old 05-05-09, 09:44 AM
hoonunya
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by I6turbo
Watch it there gramps!
That's me! 1 granddaughter, 17 months old.

I enjoy the various age groups on here and the different perspectives as to what they want in a car.
Old 05-05-09, 10:11 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey, we'll all, with a little luck, be gramps (and grandmas) one day, so hold off on the old folks jokes... ha ha. Although, I think gramps bones might not be able to take a 2" slam and have it bottom out on the way to bingo... :0 j/k... LOVE TO EVERYONE !!!
Old 05-05-09, 10:57 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

who is 58? i don't remember reading that the original poster of the question put his/ her age down, i guess i was just assuming they were younger than 40 but i could be wrong. if you are the one that is 58 then that explains to me about the whole datasystems controller thing, because most of my neighbors well almost all of them are in their 60's + on up to late 70's, and they always walk by and scratch their heads at my car when i am lowering it or raising it up. no age limit but i would venture to guess that anyone over 40 would probably not be interested in this option...

when i lived in japan there were a few old heads that were still into the car scene and in fact i recall this one dude who had just about the coolest/ classiest vip toyota crown's i had ever seen, with a ton of cash in it mostly in exterior/ audio and this guy had to be in his late 50's. he said he always enjoyed the vip car scene and just recently started to have the money to do half the stuff he had wanted to do for along time... i think he was recently divorced and scoping out the younger girls myself but hey you gotta give him credit on having such a nicely done car.

Last edited by sojah; 05-05-09 at 11:08 AM.

Quick Reply: custom vs ultra