LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Question about headlights

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-09, 05:54 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Guys, just as a heads up, autolevling just levels the headlights in relation to load in the car, and NOT to the changing conditions of the road. The only reasons they do swivel up and down, is because the front wheels will be higher off the ground than the rear (momentarily), or vice versa giving the impression that the load is different has changed in the car. The headlights then adjust until both sides level back (regardless if you are still going up, or down a hill).

In other words, the sole purpose of the sensors is to keep the HID's from blinding oncoming drivers when you load the rear, causing the nose to move higher up.
Old 05-08-09, 07:08 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so they do not change up or down while the car is driving?? including going up or down a hill, as in the lights remain at the same height angle the entire time??
Old 05-08-09, 08:14 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Not knowing the mechanism behind how it detects "load" and angle of pitch, but I can't imagine it being much more than say a "bubble float" of sorts. So how would the car know the car is pitching on a hill, rather than the trunk being loaded where it's facing up?

When I get the time, I'll do the wall, light, lift of rear thing to see for sure what is happening...
Old 05-08-09, 11:49 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
Not knowing the mechanism behind how it detects "load" and angle of pitch, but I can't imagine it being much more than say a "bubble float" of sorts. So how would the car know the car is pitching on a hill, rather than the trunk being loaded where it's facing up?
The car doesn't know. My whole point is that the headlights are not there to adjust for uphills or downhills, but rather load on the rear in relation to the front.

There are two sensors, one in the drivers side front, and the other in the drivers side rear that detect suspension travel and adjust accordingly.
Old 05-08-09, 10:41 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
There are two sensors, one in the drivers side front, and the other in the drivers side rear that detect suspension travel and adjust accordingly.
This is true. I had an issue a few months ago where all of a sudden my lights started bouncing up and down like crazy at night. Then the instrument panel lit a warning that flashed on and off indicating the fault. After that the lights didn't move up and down anymore when driving.

The dealer found the front sensor was defective so ordered a replacement. After that was fixed, the rear sensor immediately malfunctioned as well. The warning in the instrument panel wouldn't go away, so they had to order the rear sensor as well. I had my vehicle back after the first repair, so I know for a fact both sensors went bad. I think this was just a freak incident or something.

Repair for both was around $940+tax. Parts make up $765 of that.
Old 05-09-09, 01:24 AM
PHCMA
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am working on a circuit that when activated will point my headlights right in the eyes of the oncoming car which will help eliminate the retards that put HID's in their car that aren't made for them and of course have no skill to at least align them out of the on coming drivers. I hope for a few flaming crashes, just for entertainment.
Old 05-09-09, 03:53 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Say what?

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
The car doesn't know. My whole point is that the headlights are not there to adjust for uphills or downhills, but rather load on the rear in relation to the front.

Okay, gotcha . Makes sense what you're saying that the main purpose is to not have it aim all crazy into people's eyes.

Sort of like a baseball bat, used to hit a baseball, but if you use it to bash a person's head, the bat don't know it...
Old 05-09-09, 07:32 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

PHCMA i agree fully with pretty much most of what you said, but i realized lately that when i have my car set of a very low height setting (UL w/ controller) and since i'm only like 5'7'' that i tend to think some vehicles are aimed right at my eyes when really its just that i'm sitting like a foot or more lower than the average person in a stock LS. so i don't know if me constantly flashing my brights at these cars is exactly warranted or not. what do you think??
Old 05-09-09, 09:06 AM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by PHCMA
I am working on a circuit that when activated will point my headlights right in the eyes of the oncoming car which will help eliminate the retards that put HID's in their car that aren't made for them and of course have no skill to at least align them out of the on coming drivers. I hope for a few flaming crashes, just for entertainment.
Can I subsidize your research if my vehicle is one of the first to be installed?
Old 05-09-09, 02:42 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by PHCMA
LMAO!

Man, it is like an epicdemic here in ATL. I know every morning going to work there is a 3-Series bimmer with blinding lows & fogs (with no proper beam pattern on the road) burning my eyes out! He needs aftermarket projectors to focus the light he stole from the sun on road, and not into on-coming traffic.