LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Question about headlights

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-09, 10:00 AM
LS430_Mike
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about headlights

Do they automaticly adjust for turns? Do they adjust when going up and down hills? When I first turn mine on, they move up. I'm just curious about this feature.
Old 05-05-09, 10:06 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 2004 ls cl

Originally Posted by LS430_Mike
Do they automaticly adjust for turns? Do they adjust when going up and down hills? When I first turn mine on, they move up. I'm just curious about this feature.
Just for my 2004 LS CL I can speak for, I have the HID headlights and they adjust up and down when you first start engine and have the lights one. Then when you turn left and right above 17 mph, they turn with the steering wheel. They also auto adjust (thus the up and down when you first turn on car) up and down when doing up and down hills... but only by a few degrees and so it it's a super steep hill, then you might not see much anyway.
Old 05-05-09, 11:14 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by LS430_Mike
In addition to the autolevel for up/down, the 04+ have the AFS for turns.

You can check/tell by turning your steering wheel to the left and then to the right-DO IT SAFELY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You can see the beam swivel
Old 05-05-09, 11:50 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i wasn't aware that our lights went up and down as well. i know they turn side to side when turning and i know the auto level when you turn them on, but i don't recall hearing anything about up or down, can anyone quote a source for this??
Old 05-05-09, 12:35 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Default a witness

Originally Posted by sojah
i wasn't aware that our lights went up and down as well. i know they turn side to side when turning and i know the auto level when you turn them on, but i don't recall hearing anything about up or down, can anyone quote a source for this??
I have noticed when coming to a stop sign/traffic light at the TOP of a hill, and there is a car ahead of you, you can see the level of the headlights slowly increment DOWNWARDS. (you can see the LINE of light slowly tick down several inches at a time..especially if you stop well short of the vehicle ahead of you, then slowly roll forward towards the traffic signal/car ahead of you.

It's not a whole heck of a lot though, maybe the line moves downwards several inches, but as we all know from geometry 101 about angles, several inches at 15' will turn into a much greater adjustment the further away you go from the headlights. Is that pythagoreans theory or something? Where's our nuclear engineers-MIKE (AlexusAnja)-when we need them!? lol!

I've never been at the bottom of a hill and noticed the lights adjust upwards. Not saying it doesn't/can happen, but I've just never had the opportunity to observe it...

Last edited by LS430inDE.; 05-05-09 at 01:40 PM.
Old 05-05-09, 04:39 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

auto level is up and down, it works all the time when the lights are on. So if your car is angle up like going up a hill, the lights aim down automatically. Going down a hill, it aim up.

It is very responsive too, if you floor the car hard and make it squat down, the lights aim down, and if you brake really hard to make the car dive down, the lights aims up.
Old 05-05-09, 05:00 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

well the only reason that i questioned this so much (alexus) is cuz a couple weeks ago i took it upon myself to mess with my front height sensors (UL of course) to lower it manually even lower, even though i do have the controller... so i got the front about 1.5-2 inches even lower than the lowest drivable setting on the controller (the lowest setting on the controller is not drivable and will raise up apparently if you try to drive on it, even though i think i successfully drove on it a hundred yards to see if it would raise up and i didn't notice it raising up or any warning lights at all), and when i was driving my head lights were pointed at such a sharp angle down since i had lowered the front an additional 1.5 - 2 inches than the back i couldn't see anything more than like 60 ft. in front of my car (no street lights on this one road either). after driving to dinner and back i immediately raised it back up and vowed never to do that again. going up and down hills when it was that low was just awful and was the worst driving experience i have had in this ls so far. the lights did not adjust for me at that time, i really wish they had, but then maybe i wouldn't have put the height back up if they had....hmmm???
Old 05-05-09, 06:10 PM
bigcory
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

on 2001 and up, the head lights have auto level and will adjust up/down when the angle of the car changes up or down. They are pretty sensitive. If you park you car on a level surface with something parked in front of it, then press down on the rear trunk (right or left side) you can see the beam adjusting. Careful not to dent your trunk lid pushing down to hard on it.

On 04-06, the head lights also swivel left and right. Only one light turns at a time. So if you are heading into left curve, your left light will turn but the right will stay pointed directly ahead. Reverse that for a right hand turn. The right hand head light has less travel then the left light. Noticably less.
Old 05-06-09, 10:40 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

I can't quote a source to say that "it adjusts up and down as you drive" specifically from an owner's manual or online, but "auto leveling" for manufacturing means that the lights will adjust up and down (which is why it levels upon first start up) based on a floating adjuster (i.e. bubble level). Also, as someone has already noted, if you drive up or down a steep enough hill during a dark night, you will see the up and down adjustments also. You just have to observe carefully.

Hey, or you can do this, park about 30' from a wall, put the lights on and then jack up the your end and watch the light level slowly move up.
Old 05-06-09, 11:16 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

yeah i will have to try this raising of the car method when i remember and its dark and i find a good wall... i just don't recall mine doing this when i needed it most that one night i described earlier in this thread.
Old 05-06-09, 12:17 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

well the only reason that i questioned this so much (alexus) is cuz a couple weeks ago i took it upon myself to mess with my front height sensors (UL of course) to lower it manually even lower, even though i do have the controller... so i got the front about 1.5-2 inches even lower than the lowest drivable setting on the controller (the lowest setting on the controller is not drivable and will raise up apparently if you try to drive on it, even though i think i successfully drove on it a hundred yards to see if it would raise up and i didn't notice it raising up or any warning lights at all), and when i was driving my head lights were pointed at such a sharp angle down since i had lowered the front an additional 1.5 - 2 inches than the back i couldn't see anything more than like 60 ft. in front of my car (no street lights on this one road either). after driving to dinner and back i immediately raised it back up and vowed never to do that again. going up and down hills when it was that low was just awful and was the worst driving experience i have had in this ls so far. the lights did not adjust for me at that time, i really wish they had, but then maybe i wouldn't have put the height back up if they had....hmmm???
Your lights didn't aim up because it is maxed out in the highest position, there is a limited range the lights can move up and down, if your car is angle down a lot, the lights can only go to the highest position and stay there

Last edited by BNR34; 05-06-09 at 01:43 PM.
Old 05-06-09, 01:35 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BNR34
Your lights didn't aim up because it is maxed out in the highest position, there is a limited range the lights can move up and down, if your car is angle down a lot, the lights don't have the range to keep moving up
that makes sense, thanks.
Old 05-06-09, 02:11 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

that makes sense, thanks.
No problem
Old 05-06-09, 08:17 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Default Eyeball power

Originally Posted by BNR34
Your lights didn't aim up because it is maxed out in the highest position, there is a limited range the lights can move up and down, if your car is angle down a lot, the lights can only go to the highest position and stay there
good catch. Like our eyes, you can only look up as far as you can and you can tilt all you want, but you can't up any more beyond your eyelids... unless you can roll your eyes all the way back.
Old 05-07-09, 08:23 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
good catch. Like our eyes, you can only look up as far as you can and you can tilt all you want, but you can't up any more beyond your eyelids... unless you can roll your eyes all the way back.
Good example

Quick Reply: Question about headlights