LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Buying an 04+ vs. buying 01-03, what to do...

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-09 | 12:45 PM
JP2SEA
Lead Lap

Go with exactly what you want (colors, options). It took me over 6 months to find my UL (black on black, with Cherry wood), one owner, low mileage, local car and must be stock. I bought my '02 UL 3 years ago. If I were in a market for Lexus now, I'll buy a '06 LS430UL or '07-'08 LS460L(exec. package).

Knowing exactly what you want (or need) helps to find the right car for you...

Good luck searching for 'Your' car.

Last edited by JP2SEA; 05-11-09 at 01:14 PM.
Old 05-13-09 | 08:42 PM
UGKkllr
Intermediate

Ya I feel you on gettin exactly what I want but Im wondering if "my" car is ever gonna become available . In the meantime Im passin on great deals for 02 and 03's. The only UL I can find thats even close to what I want is a blue on tan 2004 UL with 40k miles for 23 grand. If it were black leather then Id prolly jump on it. But tan leather makes me gag. I just cannot get into it. It looks so old manish to me. Theres so many black on tan cars out there in general yet so few black on blacks, it makes no sense to me how many ppl ordered cars new with tan interior. I did find a black on black custom luxury 04 with 30k miles which has the air suspension as well as suede headliner but its 29 grand which I dont even think is reasonable. So I'll keep trolling every day and hope for some good luck to fall my way. Any other good sites besides cars.com and autotrader? I check craigslist alot but theres never anything good on there . Ebay never seems to have any UL's at all. Someone do a good deed and please find me a car
Old 05-13-09 | 09:37 PM
JP2SEA
Lead Lap

You may try auto consultant who will search nationwide and obtain cars from say, auctions for the car with your exact specifications. (ie. UL Black on black, with less than xxxxx miles.) Good luck.
Old 05-15-09 | 05:47 PM
UGKkllr
Intermediate

Ya I know of a few people that can take me to the Manheim auction in PA but when you see the list of what cars are gonna be available it doesnt specify if its ultra luxury so I could end up goin all the way up there for nothing. Plus very few black on black UL's ever make it to the auction unless they have some miles on em or are 01-03. Im gonna have to get very lucky in finding this car with under 60k miles for under mid 20k price range. I might just end up settling for an 02 or 03 at this rate. Not only am I not finding black on black 04+ , Im not really finding any UL's in any color other then white or some other old man color. No silver, no flint mica and absolutely no black on blacks. Just white on tan and blue on tan and thats all I ever see.
Old 05-15-09 | 07:32 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Originally Posted by UGKkllr
Im not really finding any UL's in any color other then white or some other old man color.
Haha. Old man color.
Old 05-15-09 | 07:39 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

.... I did find a black on black custom luxury 04 with 30k miles which has the AIR SUSPENSION as well as suede headliner but its 29 grand which I dont even think is reasonable. So I'll keep trolling every day and hope for ...
WOOOOOOO WOOOOOO HOLD ON HERE !!!! Have you found the unicorn, Nessy of the Lockness, BIG FOOT, Jason of Crystal Lake ?!?!??! I thought it was real, but so many here have said it's a myth and did not exist.

CAN YOU CONFIRM that you found a CUSTOM LUXURY with the Air Suspension????? NO REAR ENTERTAINMENT, but Custom Luxury with Air? Factory air, not aftermarket air right?

You my friend, if true, have found the missing link of the LS430. A CL trim with Air Suspension.
Old 05-17-09 | 06:28 AM
jwalker99
Driver School Candidate

Default 02, LS430 Is Great

In this depressed car mkt you should be able to buy/negotiate whatever you want. But note I am a 1 car owner of an original 2002 LS430 and its a great car! I have maintained it consistently at Lexus and I wouldnt trade it for a new LS460 (POS).

Good luck
jw
Old 05-17-09 | 07:57 AM
UGKkllr
Intermediate

I have an old man color supra turbo so Im a member of the old man club at the tender age of 33 but not for long. The supra will be gone on saturday when the buyer flys in to pay the balance and take the car, then I will be traveling to NY to look hardcore for a day or two. Gonna arrange to see some cars up there and this one is starting to look better and better to me http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/ctd/1171032820.html I wanna 04 buy if I can get this car for 17 grand and the paint is as perfect as they claim , then I dont think I can pass it up. If and when a black on black low mile 04 falls on my lap, I'll buy it too and sell the 02, no biggie. I wont hold my breath waiting for one tho, I need a car pronto. Also the 04 CL I found is now on fleabay for 26k buy it now and by the looks of it, I dont see the factory air height switch on it so I dont think it has air at all. I guess the seller didnt know wtf he was talkin bout. If it was really an 04 black on black with air for 26 grand then Id be on a plane to go buy it.
Old 05-17-09 | 11:01 AM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Ya I know of a few people that can take me to the Manheim auction in PA
That is the greatest secret in the used car market! I hope you send those "few people" Christmas presents, birthday presents, and just generally keep them close and treat them very very well! You are very fortunate to have those contacts!
Old 05-17-09 | 11:49 AM
UGKkllr
Intermediate

Ya the auction is great if you arent really picky bout color, features, etc..I'd hate to get all the way up there to PA and find out that the cars I went to see are either beat up or not UL. Plus they dont specify the interior color either on the list of cars. And most black ls430's have tan interior. So the auction isnt the way Im gonna go on this purchase. If only more people had ordered black on black UL's then Id be able to locate one no prob.
Old 05-19-09 | 10:22 AM
hrp
Rookie

What's sauce for the goose isn't necessarily sauce for the gander. When we purchased our new 2002 LS430 in 2002, we were looking for a comfortable, safe, quiet, luxury, vehicle which we planned to keep until it became unreliable. At age 62, we planned to travel and needed the luggage space and ability to comfortably carry 2 additional passengers. We hoped to avoid all the electronic gadgets that frequently cause expensive and complex replair problems. We were stuck with a rarely used sunroof; otherwise the only extras were the heated seats. We chose the silver color since it doesn't who dirt as badly as the darker ones and is fairly invisible to the highway patrol. Since I'm an Obscessive Compulsive Detailer, so the car has been well maintained, looks like a new one, is still quiet, solid, runs well, and smoothly. We get 25 - 26 mpg on the highway and it will still scat like a scalded dog when necessary. We plan to drive it indefinitely unless it gets crunched in an accident or becomes unreliable. Right now our 2002 LS430 is just fine, and we hope it stays that way.
Old 05-20-09 | 06:09 AM
BlackUltra
Pole Position

Originally Posted by hrp
What's sauce for the goose isn't necessarily sauce for the gander. When we purchased our new 2002 LS430 in 2002, we were looking for a comfortable, safe, quiet, luxury, vehicle which we planned to keep until it became unreliable. At age 62, we planned to travel and needed the luggage space and ability to comfortably carry 2 additional passengers. We hoped to avoid all the electronic gadgets that frequently cause expensive and complex replair problems. We were stuck with a rarely used sunroof; otherwise the only extras were the heated seats. We chose the silver color since it doesn't who dirt as badly as the darker ones and is fairly invisible to the highway patrol. Since I'm an Obscessive Compulsive Detailer, so the car has been well maintained, looks like a new one, is still quiet, solid, runs well, and smoothly. We get 25 - 26 mpg on the highway and it will still scat like a scalded dog when necessary. We plan to drive it indefinitely unless it gets crunched in an accident or becomes unreliable. Right now our 2002 LS430 is just fine, and we hope it stays that way.
I'm 61, wifes 60 and we bought our 2006 LS430UL for all of the same reasons. Got an additional warranty as added protection in case any of the "goodies" fail. Love the ride and actually enjoy long trips by car now because the wife actually likes to drive the LS. Looking forward to many more enjoyable "car trips". Yesterday just drove (700 miles) ATL to Destin, FL. to pick up some famous Royal Red shrimp that just came into season.
The ride was so smooth, quiet and comfortable it felt like flying.
Old 05-20-09 | 07:50 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Default 700 Miles???

Originally Posted by BlackUltra
I'm 61, wifes 60 and we bought our 2006 LS430UL for all of the same reasons. Got an additional warranty as added protection in case any of the "goodies" fail. Love the ride and actually enjoy long trips by car now because the wife actually likes to drive the LS. Looking forward to many more enjoyable "car trips". Yesterday just drove (700 miles) ATL to Destin, FL. to pick up some famous Royal Red shrimp that just came into season.
The ride was so smooth, quiet and comfortable it felt like flying.
700 miles for shrimp???? That's crazier than us going 400 miles for Linguine with red clam sauce... ha ha.

If I lived in ATL, we'd be going to Disney probably twice a year.
Old 05-23-09 | 09:57 PM
UGKkllr
Intermediate

Ok so I found this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lexus...1%7C240%3A1318

I keep gettin outbid and Im at 27400. So Im gonna call them tommorow and hope they are open so I can try and make a deal. Hopin I could get it for 29 grand shipped. You guys think its over priced ? Seems about what a lexus dealership would charge for a CPO but the flip side is that its an 05 with 36k miles, black on black and of course its Ultra Luxury package equipped. Should I just BIN to secure it and how do I know Im bidding against someone whos for real. Says the high bidder has an (11) feedback which isnt squat. Enclosed shipping quote from Fed Ex is $1485 which isnt bad for a 1200 mile delivery. Should I even consider open shipping for 650 bux ?
Old 05-24-09 | 11:26 AM
Diplocar
Rookie

Ironically, UGKkllr has a hard time finding black on black cars, and I, who would like to avoid black (no offense, I find it is a losing battle in a hot climate) find black on black everywhere I look.

1997 ES300 sold :-(
2005 CL: Still looking

Quick Reply: Buying an 04+ vs. buying 01-03, what to do...