LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Lexus probably knows that they have a problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-09 | 04:14 PM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Unhappy Lexus probably knows that they have a problem

If not they should. I complained numerous times about my air suspension. Car went to the dealership six times before a Lexus tech rep came in to look at it (at my request).

He spent a half a day with it. When I met with him, he said that the car is fine, and he tested everything - computer, sensors, compressor, lines, air shocks, etc.

He told me that the car leans when I get home, because the way my driveway comes down & curves - Lexus designed the system to not straighten the car too quickly, so that the system works less in order to have better longevity.

Since then, my car has gotten worse - now it leans in flat parking lots, there is less room between the wheel well and tire when parked in garage. Also, he told me that when I get home, if I want the car to sit square all I have to do is crank the car up from the outside (lean through open driver's window and turn key) and crank it. After a couple of minutes it would straighten itself up. You guessed it - no work.

With all the threads I have read here about the right rear air shock failing, and the right rear sitting lower than the rest of the car (I had another 2002 UL that didn't; my dad had a 2005 UL that didn't), there must be a problem - design flaw, system problem, etc.

Why isn't Lexus attending to this? Do they not know about it? I may be wrong, but I perceive this as the most common problem written about LS430's on this forum.

May not make any sense, but perhaps all of us that are experiencing problems, or have experienced problems should write Lexus a letter - either individually, or a group letter signed by all.

Any suggestions welcomed.
Old 05-10-09 | 04:56 PM
BlackUltra
Pole Position

Sorry, feel very bad that you obviously feel you have a problem with your air suspension but I for one do not have any of the symptoms that you appear to have. My 2006 UL sits just fine. Furthermore, as a new member I have not seen this as the most common problem in this forum. Therefore, grateful if any and all Members who share this problem kindly please identify yourselves so that we can identify it as such. Seriously I do not have the "lean" that has been suggested by one other Member. As far as I can tell the problem appears to be with only two Members. Please correct me if I am wrong by identifying yourselves if you have a problem. Otherwise, we are doing a grave disservice to non-UL Members who may be thinking of purchasing a UL based on these assertions.
Old 05-10-09 | 06:41 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

mafpolo - this only happens when your car is not running, correct? When it's started and running all is OK?
Old 05-10-09 | 07:14 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

SCORE for CL trim !!! I don't think the air suspension is a "flaw" by any means or else I think the number of people complaining would be even greater. Through the years, Toyota has been very upright with correcting the errors in their vehicle's lineup. If there is something this great, as in the suspension being defective, which could lead to accidents and deaths, I think Toyota would surely correct it, if not by a recall, then atleast by good faith.
Old 05-11-09 | 05:44 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

yeah i hope what you said it true Alexus, but reading all this negative UL stuff is starting to make me nervous about my own UL.

mafpolo, you don't have a controller or big rims or anything do you? just a stock UL right??
Old 05-11-09 | 07:38 AM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Default While running

Nope, while running as well. Also, I do have stock rims. Also, I believe that more than two people are having this problem.

Mark
Old 05-11-09 | 07:49 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Are you the second owner? What year & how many miles (currently) cuz i know you have mentioned this info before already.?.
Old 05-11-09 | 01:04 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
I don't think the air suspension is a "flaw" by any means or else I think the number of people complaining would be even greater. Through the years, Toyota has been very upright with correcting the errors in their vehicle's lineup. If there is something this great, as in the suspension being defective, which could lead to accidents and deaths, I think Toyota would surely correct it, if not by a recall, then atleast by good faith.
It is a design flaw, not a defect, that is 2 different things.

It doesn't lead to accidents or deaths, the car drive perfectly normal, the only thing is, it sit crooked. Toyota don't think is an issue because the car drive perfectly normal, that is within spec because that is how they designed the car. I think most normal UL owners don't even notice that it sit crooked, only people who notice small details like that notice it, and it drive them crazy. It drove me crazy.

That is why I started this thread, all these cars I posted are perfect mint condition UL listed for sale on the autotrader, nothing wrong with them. That is how they sit from the factory:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...cs-thread.html
Old 05-11-09 | 01:12 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sojah
yeah i hope what you said it true Alexus, but reading all this negative UL stuff is starting to make me nervous about my own UL.
Nothing to nervous about. You fixed your uneven stance issue already by having a controller. The only concern you have is when the air strut fail, is going to be $1000 each. The air strut can fail at anytime, some as early as 35k miles, but some people air strut last as long as 160k miles, one guy even said his strut is still good at 240k miles, hard to believe, but he said is true. So I guess it has a lot to do with luck.

Originally Posted by sojah
mafpolo, you don't have a controller or big rims or anything do you? just a stock UL right??
His car is 100% stock, it just suffer the classic gangstar lean syndrome. I couldn't figure out why Lexus set up the car that way, but they did.

The fix is very simple, is just a matter of adjusting the height sensor to even out the height of the 4 corners. The dealer won't do that for you because again, that is within factory spec, that's how the car was sold brand new. I told mafpolo that many times, he doesn't want to believe me, so he is still suffering.

Last edited by BNR34; 05-11-09 at 01:17 PM.
Old 05-11-09 | 02:49 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Lean or not, it's up to the UL owners on this forum to all take a ruler and measure the darn thing. That will tell us if there truly is a lean or not. From pictures I've seen thus far, there definitely looks to be a lean for those that have it. For those that claim their vehicles do not lean, and they don't have controllers, then can they measure it to see that it isn't leaning?

I would say park on level ground, and measure from ground to wheel well lip on both rear wheels. Anything within 1/2" or less I think is not a lean. How about it you UL owners?
Old 05-11-09 | 02:53 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

You don't need to use a ruler to measure it, the gap is huge, just use your fingers.

The gap between the top of the tire to the fender lip, the driver side front is like 4 fingers width, the passenger rear is either 1 finger or no gap at all.
Old 05-11-09 | 03:39 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

yeah mine was pretty clearly visible before i fixed it, yeah fixed it, thats a positive way to look at it...
Old 05-11-09 | 05:13 PM
jman-LS430
Pole Position

I had the "gangsta lean" when I bought my car. Even at 35K when the right rear air shock went bad, the Lexus dealer installed the new one, set things up to spec, and guess what, still had that slight lean. I later installed the controller and naturally still had the lean. I adjusted my sensors myself to level it out.