LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Another expensive UL feature to watch out for

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-09, 06:48 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gato just sold his here for 120 shipped.
Old 05-11-09, 07:30 PM
stackwell
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When my car got vandalized insurance covered that piece because it was scratched and yes all 1200 of it. Thing is, the mechanic said it's the sensor behind it that really costs that much to replace and he has no reasoning on why that plastic piece was covered. No complaints here, just a new chrome billet grille
Old 05-11-09, 09:58 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Headlights cost more and are just as easy to break.

Its only a plastic piece, and most plexiglass will do. The radar cannot detect plastic, hence why its there to protect the radar from any debree while driving.
Old 05-12-09, 04:24 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

i saw an ls with side curtains on saturday but i don't think it was a UL, were the side curtains an add on as well on other than UL trims??

so you can't just order the little plexi L window separately anywhere?
Old 05-12-09, 05:07 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Side curtains

Originally Posted by sojah
i saw an ls with side curtains on saturday but i don't think it was a UL, were the side curtains an add on as well on other than UL trims??

The rear side window manual sunshades were an UL exclusive...which I really liked. You can get all the parts online from Carsons for around $250/side, so about $500 before installation. Not really cost effective as I got my whole car tinted for only $200.

Seems the little Plexi is not a standalone piece and must be ordered with the whole unit, as originally posted by the OP. That really stinks the big one. I guess be very careful not to break anything on the front.
Old 05-12-09, 08:39 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Side curtains is UL only.

You can from the junk yard. If you can find one.

Last edited by BNR34; 05-12-09 at 08:44 AM.
Old 05-12-09, 08:43 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
You can get all the parts online from Carsons for around $250/side, so about $500 before installation. Not really cost effective as I got my whole car tinted for only $200.
$250 per side is for the main shade only, the main killer part is the door panel is completely different, it got a huge slot for the shade to sit in, each door panel is $1700. Then you need the top trim piece because you need the hooks for the curtain to hook onto, that is $60. Lastly, that little shade for the quarter window is $130.

So to do a complete proper retrofit on a car without the certain, it is about $2400 per side before labor

Last edited by BNR34; 05-12-09 at 08:57 AM.
Old 05-12-09, 08:46 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jman-LS430
Yeah, and I was told that in the process of "bracing itself" the front end drops a little. Not sure if that is true or not, and hope I never find out.
Yeah hope none of us ever find out
Old 05-12-09, 09:05 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BNR34
So to do a complete proper retrofit on a car without the certain, it is about $2400 per side before labor
so i guess it pretty safe to say that if you see an 04-06 ls 430 w/ sunshade that its a UL. well this dude at least wasn't returning of my fellow UL love. i pulled up next to him and saw the curtain, gave him the nod and was not even given the courtesy of the return nod. didn't see the pcs or the crooked stance so i thought the dude was either a douche or didn't actually have a UL so therefore no UL love
Old 05-12-09, 09:18 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

so i guess it pretty safe to say that if you see an 04-06 ls 430 w/ sunshade that its a UL.
Yes, the side sunshade is the only sure sign of the car being an UL, because all UL has it and only UL has it. Not all UL has PCS and CL has the headlight washers. Don't forget all 01-03 UL has the side sunshade too.

well this dude at least wasn't returning of my fellow UL love. i pulled up next to him and saw the curtain, gave him the nod and was not even given the courtesy of the return nod. didn't see the pcs or the crooked stance so i thought the dude was either a douche or didn't actually have a UL so therefore no UL love
Not everyone is an enthusiast
Old 05-12-09, 03:28 PM
GATO
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

wow, didnt know they were that expensive

might stop the sell....noone has paid....yet...
Old 05-12-09, 03:50 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default MB Driver with Hate

so i guess it pretty safe to say that if you see an 04-06 ls 430 w/ sunshade that its a UL. well this dude at least wasn't returning of my fellow UL love. i pulled up next to him and saw the curtain, gave him the nod and was not even given the courtesy of the return nod. didn't see the pcs or the crooked stance so i thought the dude was either a douche or didn't actually have a UL so therefore no UL love
Maybe his MB or BMW was in the shop and they only had UL's for loaner and he's hating himself for not having bought a LS.

Or, maybe he couldn't see through his sunshades...
Old 05-13-09, 12:43 AM
REV-01
Lexus Champion

i knew, i spent that much for a toyota emblem

by the way the pcs feature is awesome. one time someone just out of no where came out from a small street. i slam on the brakes and it pull my seat belt really tight. lucky stop in time after i release the brakes it release the seat belt.

those of you make sure fasten your seat belt at all times. other wise this feature won't work.

Last edited by REV-01; 05-13-09 at 01:02 AM.
Old 05-13-09, 02:47 AM
CG lover
Pole Position

material is made from lexan which is one of the most durable and should really take a beating before it ever cracks,, of course years of sun exposure does not help it as it will discolor,,

have had people ask me why Lexus would place a piece of plastic in the center of their grill,, of course after they hear my story about why and what it is made of their answer is WOW,, now I can add the $$$$ factor,, also interesting at times when anther 430 passes I have seen the driver look over at the front of the car,, figured they were looking for the glass badge in the grill to help determine the extras,, wish Lexus would have just placed a UL after the 430 on the trunk,,

Derry
Old 05-13-09, 12:34 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by REV-01
i knew, i spent that much for a toyota emblem
$1200 for a Toyota emblem!

You really love to roll all JDM huh!

Quick Reply: Another expensive UL feature to watch out for