Adjust rear camber after lowering

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-09, 02:39 PM
SH430
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adjust rear camber after lowering

Hi,

This is my first time posting. I recently replaced my air suspension with Tanabe NF210 springs and KYB shocks. I took the car in to get the alignment checked due to the lower ride, and I was told that the rear camber is at 2 degrees - enough to cause tire wear.

Has anyone else experienced this and how was it resolved? Is there a camber kit for an '01 LS 430?
Old 05-20-09, 02:57 PM
LEXMD
Driver School Candidate

starting in 01 lexus did away with the eccentric bolts to adjust the rear camber. in order to make changes to rear camber you have to replace lower control arm there are only three you can get fromt the dealer .25 deg .50 deg and .75 deg I dont know if there aftermarkt arms that can get you more adjustement.
Old 05-20-09, 03:01 PM
SH430
Driver School Candidate

Thanks. I'm looking for an aftermarket solution, but have not had any luck so far.

Last edited by SH430; 05-20-09 at 04:55 PM.
Old 05-20-09, 09:18 PM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

No aftermarket solution. You gotta get the shorter camber bars to decrease the negative camber. I had same problem, wore the hell out of the insides of my tires really fast. I had the bars installed and the camber is better now.
Old 05-21-09, 01:23 AM
DanozLS430
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ancdmd
No aftermarket solution. You gotta get the shorter camber bars to decrease the negative camber. I had same problem, wore the hell out of the insides of my tires really fast. I had the bars installed and the camber is better now.
I also own a 2001 LS and was wondering if I install the Tanabe NF210 (my car is the standard model and not UL) will have have negative camber also that a normal wheel alignment shop can adjust. I was thinking of getting those springs also.

DanozLS430....
Old 05-21-09, 07:17 AM
bonafyd
Lexus Test Driver

No aftermarket solution. You gotta get the shorter camber bars to decrease the negative camber.
There's an aftermarket solution but they're exspensive $1700 without shipping,on the bright side you can get as much camber you want negative or positive
Old 05-21-09, 01:03 PM
SH430
Driver School Candidate

I was hoping to get closer to -.5 camber on each side. My right side is at -2.1 now, and if simple math applies will change to -1.35 using the .75 bar. The left side will be a little better at -1.19. Still a long way from ideal!
Old 05-21-09, 04:20 PM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

wont be ideal but its definitely noticeable and worth it. (NOT those $1700 japanese things)
Old 05-21-09, 07:19 PM
bonafyd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SH430
I was hoping to get closer to -.5 camber on each side. My right side is at -2.1 now, and if simple math applies will change to -1.35 using the .75 bar. The left side will be a little better at -1.19. Still a long way from ideal!
You can get up to -15 degrees camber with those japanese things.

wont be ideal but its definitely noticeable and worth it. (NOT those $1700 japanese things)
Those japanese things are the only aftermarket solution to solving camber issues on the LS 430... so you pay $98 each on the cheap to who knows what for arms that are'nt adjustable & are'nt gaurenteed to get you where you wanna be camber wise so now you just ate $196 + tax when you can spend the money(i think is crazy but worth it) to get all the camber your ever gonna need from those japanese things that go on a japanese car
Old 05-21-09, 11:41 PM
BIGGZ
Lexus Test Driver

so is there any links to "those japanese things" camber arms.i want more camber.yup,you heared right,more camber.
Old 05-22-09, 03:12 PM
MERKEDLS
Driver

dammit.... tires or more negative camber...which one is more worth it.
Old 05-23-09, 07:41 AM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

The "cheap" ones are factory Lexus parts. The camber bar on the LS comes in three different lengths: stock, 5mm long, and 5mm short. Each 5mm is designed to reduce the camber by a degree, if I am correct. They can be ordered at any Lexus parts retailer, try Carson Toyota for a good price, I am not sure of the part numbers right now but if you do search they are on here somewhere. Sure they are not adjustable and you can't set the camber to exactly where you want it, but they will give you a very noticeable reduction in negative camber.

If you have a lot of money and can spend $1700 for the japanese aftermarket bars to get you you your exact camber, then do it. But for most of us the extra $1300-1400 is better spent elsewhere.
Old 05-23-09, 08:05 AM
bonafyd
Lexus Test Driver

The "cheap" ones are factory Lexus parts. The camber bar on the LS comes in three different lengths: stock, 5mm long, and 5mm short. Each 5mm is designed to reduce the camber by a degree, if I am correct. They can be ordered at any Lexus parts retailer, try Carson Toyota for a good price, I am not sure of the part numbers right now but if you do search they are on here somewhere. Sure they are not adjustable and you can't set the camber to exactly where you want it, but they will give you a very noticeable reduction in negative camber.

If you have a lot of money and can spend $1700 for the japanese aftermarket bars to get you you your exact camber, then do it. But for most of us the extra $1300-1400 is better spent elsewhere.
You should've said this from the start or said that you really had no idea that they're was an alternative instead of giving false information,telling the person they're was'nt any other alternative...as for factory lexus parts being cheap you said that not me,what i meant by "on the cheap" was the price meaning carson,ebay or mylexusparts all are gonna have different pricing so $98 was a discount price "on the cheap "& rising, as for money being spent better elsewhere i agree $1700 is a high price no denying that but the question was'nt about the price it was about the part.
Old 05-23-09, 04:19 PM
SH430
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DanozLS430
I also own a 2001 LS and was wondering if I install the Tanabe NF210 (my car is the standard model and not UL) will have have negative camber also that a normal wheel alignment shop can adjust. I was thinking of getting those springs also.

DanozLS430....

I think you will have the same camber issue regardless of UL or other. I will say that I am very happy with the Tanabe springs. The car handles and rides great. I ended up going to Lexus and buying the "shortest" bars they had. My understanding is this will give a .75 degree adjustment.
Old 05-23-09, 07:59 PM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Right, I should have mentioned the aftermarket solution from the start, its just that I had completely blocked it out of my mind as a "solution" because they were just waaaaay out of the question for me. Essentially for me (and I assumed 99% of others with lowered cars) there is only one "solution", that is the Lexus parts. I haven't heard of anyone on here ever buying the $1700 parts, and with such an unrealistic price point I wouldn't imagine them flying off the shelves. As Lexus owners we're used to inadequate factory parts costing a lot more than most aftermarket parts, so this situation is a little unusual.

Quick Reply: Adjust rear camber after lowering