LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

I am so pissed

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-09, 03:40 PM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Angry I am so pissed

Went to the mall to buy my daughter a birthday present. I park away from everyone. I come out - and one SOB has parked right up close...

I looked for a door ding...none. Later today I come out of my office...he didn't ding me, but he (or she) scraped up my rear bumper nicely. So, now on the right rear bumper I have a nice scrape, spider cracks, and I am so damn pissed.

Lesson learned - go over the car extremely well before getting in. Why the f&%k would a dumbass do that & not even leave a note.

My buddy that owns a body shop says....no fix - must replace.

Was a really nice 02 Ultra - Millennium Silver with black leather & rosewood. Only has 54,000 miles (60% highway). I have pampered teh crap out of it - Zymol waxed every month, etc.

Repeating - I am pissed
Old 05-21-09, 05:58 PM
JP2SEA
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear....I feel your anger.

I had my 4 dings pulled, and spent $$$ to get the car detailed perfectly clean and shiny. Then the very next day, I got a door ding....

I had parked my car away from everyone always but there is always an a hole who park right next to me while there are so many spots avaialble...jeez.
Old 05-21-09, 07:02 PM
duncan73
Driver

Default Just thinking out loud

Any chance they captured the asshat on tape? Wonder if Mall Security would accomodate an inquiry, seeing that a replacement is going to cost big$$$. Worth a try!
Old 05-21-09, 07:22 PM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It seems that nice cars immediately attract crappy drivers! And the nicer the car, the crappier the driver it is who'll decide he's gotta park right next to you! But I find it hard to imagine that some scrapes and spider web cracks in the bumper are going to require a complete replacement. Maybe your body shop buddy was pulling your leg? I'd take it to a few different shops and see what they say.

Last edited by Lexucan; 05-21-09 at 07:29 PM.
Old 05-21-09, 07:24 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Same here, I'll be at Target and park far away from everyone, corner spot no less and hugging the curb. I'll come out and some idiot will be right up next to me all close. I hate those people, what is in their brain that they need to park next to me? I know I have a fresh car, but oh please....
Old 05-21-09, 08:36 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so a few years back in okinawa i spent about 4k to have my car custom painted and the day after i got it back from the shop i parked in front of a convenience store and as i was walking out (back to my car) i saw this little girl getting into the back seat of her parents car and i said to myself that she will prolly hit my car with her door, well she did, her dad saw it and even rubbed it with his finger and said ouch that is bad, i walked up and he said oh man i'm so sorry did you just have it painted, i said yes, he offered to try and fix it, i said don't worry about it... most of it buffed out anyways but that was the first official scrape/scratch/gash/bump or what have you and i thought that there would be many more to come. can't protect it all the time. morale of this story is that you really can't have anything nice, ever!!!

sorry man, i feel your pain, good luck with it.
Old 05-21-09, 09:07 PM
jman-LS430
Pole Position

It is good to know that I am not the only one who this appears to happen to. I thought that maybe I was just imagining folks parking close to me when there is no reason to.
Old 05-21-09, 09:21 PM
junjdm
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

dang that sucks....sorry to hear...and i feel ya on that....
Old 05-22-09, 05:38 AM
So Philly1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man i feel your pain. Just cringing on the thought!
Old 05-22-09, 06:57 AM
Boomer01
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That sucks! I found two long scratches on my passenger door the other day. The car was dirty for a while because it had been raining so I didn't realize they were there until I washed it.
Old 05-22-09, 08:40 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

mafpolo,

I 100% feel your pain and anger

I think that most dumbass don't even know that they scraped other people's car

That might cover under hit and run, check with your insurance company.
Old 05-22-09, 08:47 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexucan
But I find it hard to imagine that some scrapes and spider web cracks in the bumper are going to require a complete replacement. Maybe your body shop buddy was pulling your leg? I'd take it to a few different shops and see what they say.
Plastic bumper cover is hard to repair to perfection, I think since mafpolo's buddy knows he wants it perfect, it would require a new piece.

Sure you can repair it, but it will not come out perfect.

The bumper cover is only $300, so if you gonna spend the $1000+ to repair it, might as well throw it in to make it perfect.
Old 05-22-09, 03:37 PM
xuserx04
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sojah
... morale of this story is that you really can't have anything nice, ever!!!
So true. We, who care about our cars will never have them in perfect shape with all these brainless people in this world.
Old 05-22-09, 05:08 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34

The bumper cover is only $300, so if you gonna spend the $1000+ to repair it, might as well throw it in to make it perfect.
Good info!

Does it come painted or do you need to get it painted?

If it doesn't need to be painted then is it a DIY to replace it?
Old 05-22-09, 07:19 PM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Bumper Cover

He looked at it today. He said a new oem bumper cover runs somewhere between 300 and 400 bucks. The remaining cost is matching the paint. These guys are really good. They match color and texture - hard to tell a car has been painted if it comes from them.

He also said that he knows how **** I am about the car, but he suggests waiting to see if I can live with it as is for now. He suggests waiting until it gets more "bumper rash" or damage.

He told me that the majority of LS repair work that they do is rear bumper covers.

If just sanding and painting the current cover was fairly inexpensive, I would do that, but apparently that doesn't work.

Quick Reply: I am so pissed