LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Am I Getting a Good Deal?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-09, 10:06 AM
jbookie
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Am I Getting a Good Deal?

Hey guys. I'm looking for a little advice on a prospective buy. I found a meticulously maintained 2003 LS430 with black on black (the combo I want) and the CL package (super nice perf leather). It has 50,000 miles and practically lived in a garage. Apparently the first owner was so **** he would park the car in the garage and not roll the windows up all the way so as not to wear out the window's seals. A little nutty, I know. I am buying from the second owner who also maintained it very well- it was his wife's grocery getter. They only put on 11,000 mi per year. One little scratch on the right rear bumper- otherwise: pristine.

He was asking $21.900 (which is above private party blue book) and we settled at a tentative price of $20,500. I know that sounds a little high but I'm out in CA so the LS's out here fetch a higher price and go quickly. What do you guys think? Go for it or wait for a better priced black/black 2004 or newer? I am just antsy cuz I haven't seen a CL black/black with low miles for a better price. I have 60 days to spend my car loan money!
Old 05-25-09, 10:20 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Sounds like it is exactly what you want, then you should get it. It is worth paying a little more for it.

A 6 years old used car that is pristine is getting harder and harder to come by, if you keeping waiting for a perfect car with a screaming low price, you might never find it.

When I bought my UL, the mileage on the car is higher then usual, and the price is a bit high too, but the car is pristine and the exact color combo that I want. So I bought it. I kept looking around on the market after I bought the car, it took an entire year before another pristine UL with the same color combo to come on the market, and it was sold quickly.
Old 05-25-09, 11:37 AM
jbookie
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks!

That echoes my line of thinking as of late: if you want it, it's worth paying a little premium to get. Of course, I'm probably just looking for a little validation here, too. Thanks for the input. I'm still open to hearing from the other side of this argument. I know I can probably (eventually) find one for less $$ but it may be a while... Of course, if anyone here is wanting to sell their pristine 2003 black on black CL with less than 60K Mi for a steal let me know!

I'll post pics as soon as I get this baby- that is, unless someone talks me out of it.
Old 05-25-09, 05:04 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by jbookie
That echoes my line of thinking as of late: if you want it, it's worth paying a little premium to get. Of course, I'm probably just looking for a little validation here, too. Thanks for the input. I'm still open to hearing from the other side of this argument. I know I can probably (eventually) find one for less $$ but it may be a while... Of course, if anyone here is wanting to sell their pristine 2003 black on black CL with less than 60K Mi for a steal let me know!

I'll post pics as soon as I get this baby- that is, unless someone talks me out of it.
There are many factors when it comes to buying a used car: Price, mileage, condition, years, color combo, option package.......etc. The chance of finding a car that exactly meet all of your requirement is very slim.

There are 2 types of used car's buyer:

Find exactly the car you want, and don't mind paying a little more for it.

Find the best screaming price, but don't care what the car is, worse condition then you want, higher mileage, wrong color, wrong option package.......etc.

So decide which way you prefer.

Finding a car exactly the way you wanted and with a screaming low price is like winning the lotto, it does happen, but not to many people.

Last edited by BNR34; 05-26-09 at 08:10 AM.
Old 05-25-09, 06:42 PM
BlackUltra
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jbookie
Hey guys. I'm looking for a little advice on a prospective buy. I found a meticulously maintained 2003 LS430 with black on black (the combo I want) and the CL package (super nice perf leather). It has 50,000 miles and practically lived in a garage. Apparently the first owner was so **** he would park the car in the garage and not roll the windows up all the way so as not to wear out the window's seals. A little nutty, I know. I am buying from the second owner who also maintained it very well- it was his wife's grocery getter. They only put on 11,000 mi per year. One little scratch on the right rear bumper- otherwise: pristine.

He was asking $21.900 (which is above private party blue book) and we settled at a tentative price of $20,500. I know that sounds a little high but I'm out in CA so the LS's out here fetch a higher price and go quickly. What do you guys think? Go for it or wait for a better priced black/black 2004 or newer? I am just antsy cuz I haven't seen a CL black/black with low miles for a better price. I have 60 days to spend my car loan money!
Just suppose you buy this car and shortly afterwards you want do some LED lights just to make it look like an 04 and then before you know it you have invested so much trying to make it look like an 04 you could have had this

http://www.autotrader.com/dealers/in...8&cardist=5902

Something to think about. Buyers remorse is a terrible thing to have. Just my 2 cents.
Old 05-25-09, 08:09 PM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackUltra
Just suppose you buy this car and shortly afterwards you want do some LED lights just to make it look like an 04 and then before you know it you have invested so much trying to make it look like an 04 you could have had this

http://www.autotrader.com/dealers/in...8&cardist=5902

Something to think about. Buyers remorse is a terrible thing to have. Just my 2 cents.
Would be even better without the pen stripe.

Re: '01-'03 vs. '04+, I can't decide how much I'd be willing to pay for the '04+. I do like the way the 6 speed tranny works better than the 5-speed (feels more sporting and responsive, IMO), but I really think people here on CL obsess waay too much over the difference in looks. 95% of people who aren't LS430 fanatics probably don't even realize that they made two different versions. There just isn't THAT much difference IMO, and now that I have an 04+ the earlier models look a lot less different. LOL There are a lot of worthwhile things that could be done with the ~$8K difference in the price of the cars....
Old 05-25-09, 08:59 PM
jbookie
Driver School Candidate

BNR32, BlackUltra, I6Turbo - thanks. Your comments balance out this thread pretty well. I was over at my brother's friends house today so he could show me his friends' dad's hotrod. When they opened the garage a Silver 2006 UL was staring at me. I looked at the UL more than at the hotrod. lol. Different strokes, eh? I did notice right away that the headlights looked a lot more aggressive. I liked it a lot. But, I am pretty much at the top end of my budget with the $20,500 for the 03. I'm thinking that while it might be nice to have some nicer lookin' headlights, 6-speed tranny, and LED tail lights; I think I like holding onto an extra $6K better. If I love the 03 as much as I think I will, I may upgrade to the 04 and above when I have a few extra grand to throw around. I have a couple days to sleep on it (or agonize over it- depends on which way you look at it). I'll post any updates. Any other input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-25-09, 09:28 PM
Diplocar
Rookie

I am also agonizing over how much to spend, and whether to wait for the CL, go for a UL, or just enjoy a ML. Compared to prices in the east, it sounds like you are getting a very good deal. CarMax in NJ has an '03 UL for $24,900: http://www.carmax.com/enUS/view-car/...0-9a4a2e5fa9bf

I am limiting myself to 04+ cars with nav for the rear camera feature. We have a child and a small dog, and I like this as a safety feature.

Sounds like you found a good one.

'97 ES300 Sold :-(
04-06 CL: Where are you?
Old 05-25-09, 09:56 PM
G_ride
Rookie

sounds like you found the car you want, but if I'm spending over 20K for a LS430 I would get a 04 or 01-03 UL.
Old 05-26-09, 08:42 AM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by G_ride
sounds like you found the car you want, but if I'm spending over 20K for a LS430 I would get a 04 or 01-03 UL.
+1

I got my 04 silver/black CL with 47K for $20.5K so there is a hope.

I got mine locally but be open to travel and pick up your car if they are expensive in CA. If you are traveling then look for FL cars. You might find a nice low mileage "vacation" car.
Old 05-26-09, 09:43 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I feel that if it meets 90% of your needs and expectations, then go for it, even if it's a little more. A 90% excellent condition car is better than a 75% poor condition super loaded car. You seem like a person that's looking for something they'll really enjoy and that won't bother them (maintenance, appearance, reliability etc.).

Take my previous vehicle. '99 Accord, fully loaded EX with V6 and all. Got it at a very good price (from a "friend") but it came with minor body issues. As time went by, those little dings, dents, scratches just bothered me more and more. I would fixate on the dings all the time. I park 30 spots away in an empty parking lot, just so no one comes parking next to me, so it just bugged the heck out of me.

If you need your car to be near perfect, then don't settle for anything less than the best maintained vehicles.

My '04LS, spotless and I'm keeping it that way.

As for which to get, although you will be "saving" about $6 by not going to an '04, you're getting much more than $6K worth of additions I feel. From the 6-speed transmission (which is smoother), rear view camera, bluetooth, Gen 4 instead of Gen 3 NAV (although it's still not that good), and much more "aggressive" exterior redesign. I struggled many a nights when I was shopping on whether or not to save a load of money on an '02UL or my '04CL, and in the end, I paid more for the CL, but it was well worth it.

Good luck deciding, whatever it is... you'll love it the moment you own it... if you haven't loved it already.
Old 05-26-09, 01:47 PM
BlackUltra
Pole Position

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
I feel that if it meets 90% of your needs and expectations, then go for it, even if it's a little more. A 90% excellent condition car is better than a 75% poor condition super loaded car. You seem like a person that's looking for something they'll really enjoy and that won't bother them (maintenance, appearance, reliability etc.).

If you need your car to be near perfect, then don't settle for anything less than the best maintained vehicles.

My '04LS, spotless and I'm keeping it that way.

As for which to get, although you will be "saving" about $6 by not going to an '04, you're getting much more than $6K worth of additions I feel. From the 6-speed transmission (which is smoother), rear view camera, bluetooth, Gen 4 instead of Gen 3 NAV (although it's still not that good), and much more "aggressive" exterior redesign. I struggled many a nights when I was shopping on whether or not to save a load of money on an '02UL or my '04CL, and in the end, I paid more for the CL, but it was well worth it.

Good luck deciding, whatever it is... you'll love it the moment you own it... if you haven't loved it already.
Could not have said it better myself. My M35 did not get a ding in 3 years of ownership and I got a lot more exercise parking away from everyone. Hopefully the LS will be the same. Good luck.
Old 05-26-09, 02:00 PM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

thats insane, I wouldn't pay no more than 15K for a 2001 to 2003 no matter what condition and mileage.
Old 05-26-09, 02:30 PM
Salil022
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I have seen plenty of 01-03 LS430 for $15k but $15k will not buy you a clean...well maintained one....Well kept clean car means alot to some people
Old 05-26-09, 04:38 PM
rcpeters
Driver

Smile

When I was investigating LS430's, I focused on the color and ignored every LS430 that was not light metallic green. Not many available in So. California at the time. A Lexus dealer had one, but it was a 2005 model and they would not accept 10K more than what 2001 models were going for. It was nice, with the back up warning and video, but did not drive any better than a 2001 model. I think it had 6 speed transmission, maybe not. I believe it had improvements in the sound system, like Ipod connection.

The only other light green I could find was the 2001 model than I bought from a used car dealer. The mileage was 52k, a little more than the 2005 model and the price at the time was about wholesale book. He would not come down on the price at all. I has ML sound system and a jammed CD, need to get that fixed someday. Mileage is now approaching 90K.

We are very happy with the car and really don't have any interest in a newer model. Nice to have a car that looks new and is paid for. The money saved is nice too.

Quick Reply: Am I Getting a Good Deal?