LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Fix For Sunvisor Squeek

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-23, 10:36 AM
Bon
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

The thread that won't die! I fixed my squeaking sun visor today. Like many, I've tried a lot of methods but nothing worked. That said, I tried something new today and it worked:

Carefully pry the plastic cover off of the sun visor swivel mount on the roof. It just pops off by prying straight down.
Remove the two screws holding the visor to the roof. It helps to have a proper Japanese JIS (like a Philips - but not) screwdriver.to avoid stripping the screw head.
Lower the visor down and disconnect the electrical wire to free the visor completely.
Extend the rod from the visor to its limit.
Using a straight pick push it along side the rod as it enters the visor fabric. Push it in for 1/8-1/4 inch. Just enough to get past the fabric covering.
I used a spray can of Tri-Flow, with its straw, because it's clear, water thin, and has PTFE (Teflon) in it. WHILE HOLDING THE VISOR VERTICALLY, and the pick in place, push the lubricant straw alongside the pick for 1/8-1/4 inch and spray a few very short bursts, I sprayed four short sprays while letting the foam from the spray to run into and down the shaft.
I moved the visor shaft in an out a few times to distribute the lubricant. (No joke)
Reverse the visor removal process to reassemble.
And, yes, the visor is still firm and doesn't fall down on its own. It feels, and sounds, just like new.
I did this on my LX470 but the procedure should be identical or nearly identical.

Last edited by Bon; 07-26-23 at 11:07 AM.
Old 07-26-23, 09:12 PM
funcrusher
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

I’m pretty ocd and notice the squeaking but it doesn’t really bother me…..at least not enough to bother with making it quiet. My squeaky steering wheel when I’m slowly turning in a parking lot though…that’s annoying me!
Old 07-27-23, 06:30 AM
Bon
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by funcrusher
I’m pretty ocd and notice the squeaking but it doesn’t really bother me…..at least not enough to bother with making it quiet. My squeaky steering wheel when I’m slowly turning in a parking lot though…that’s annoying me!
Some of us take "The Relentless Pursuit of Perfection" to heart and others as a marketing slogan. Eventually that squeak turns into a LOUD creak that taunts you as the most annoying aspect of an otherwise beautifully quiet and serene automobile..
Old 06-01-24, 06:23 AM
ESLSRXGX
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Baby Oil to the Rescue

[I thought I would give baby oil a try. I slid the drivers side visor to the right exposing the shaft. I put baby oil on qtips and rubbed it along the shaft. I slid the visor back into place. It took a while of flipping the visor up and down but eventually that horrible noise was gone. How long will it last? Who knows....i juat did this yesterday.

QUOTE=hrp;4550701]Both front sunvisors on our 2002 LS430 have recently developed a horrible "squeek" which sounds more like an angry crow. The noise occurs with the rotation of the sunvisor on the plastic tube when the visor is rotated up and down either in or out of the clip above the inside rearview miror. I've used a silicon lubricant as far down the tube as the visor will extend without significant improvement. The noise does not occur with rotation of the visor to cover the side window. Only when the visor is rotated up and down (in any position, extended or not).

Suggestions???

Thanks,
HRP[/QUOTE]
Old 06-01-24, 07:36 AM
jjskywlker
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3-in-1 Garage Door lubricant. Spray on a cloth or paper towel and wipe it on the track while extended, repeat until squeak stops.

Amazon Amazon