LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Fix For Sunvisor Squeek

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-09, 02:05 PM
hrp
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fix For Sunvisor Squeek

Both front sunvisors on our 2002 LS430 have recently developed a horrible "squeek" which sounds more like an angry crow. The noise occurs with the rotation of the sunvisor on the plastic tube when the visor is rotated up and down either in or out of the clip above the inside rearview miror. I've used a silicon lubricant as far down the tube as the visor will extend without significant improvement. The noise does not occur with rotation of the visor to cover the side window. Only when the visor is rotated up and down (in any position, extended or not).

Suggestions???

Thanks,
HRP
The following users liked this post:
Wacogal20 (08-20-24)
Old 05-26-09, 12:59 PM
ayonnebay
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the same problem on my '04 Ls430. It's worse in hot weather. I've also tried lithium spray, silicone,etc. on the shaft, but it doesn't slide out far enough to do the whole thing. Can't get anyone to explain how to get the visor off the shaft - which seems to be required to fix it. There's got to be a way to get it apart to get at the whole thing. I won't spend the $ to replace the visors (both squeak), so I guess I''try harder to figure out how to get it apart ..

Walt
Wacogal20 (08-20-24)
Old 05-26-09, 06:14 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Warm weather

Originally Posted by ayonnebay
I have the same problem on my '04 Ls430. It's worse in hot weather. I've also tried lithium spray, silicone,etc. on the shaft, but it doesn't slide out far enough to do the whole thing. Can't get anyone to explain how to get the visor off the shaft - which seems to be required to fix it. There's got to be a way to get it apart to get at the whole thing. I won't spend the $ to replace the visors (both squeak), so I guess I''try harder to figure out how to get it apart ..

Walt
Yes, mine is worse as the weather is warmer. Easy fix is vasoline, but you'll need to get a "needle" first and not the doctors needle. Go to Target (or any pharmacist, but I use Target) and ask the pharmacist for the children's liquid medicine "needle". It looks just like a doctors needle, but no needle, just the plunger and the casing.

Put some vasoline in the needle, and then use the tip to insert into the little opening on the visor roller. Squeeze out a good amount, not over oozing, and then roll the piece around and around to get it lubricated. Solves the problem instantly.

What I don't know if how long it will last and will the heat end up melting the jelly and will it then ooze (leak) out? Thus far, not bad. And mine was baby sent, so I have a little baby sent in car now...

Maybe someone can recommend something better than vasoline, but you can use the same needle to do the filling.
Old 08-29-11, 12:51 PM
atmijlin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I have the same problem in this Texas weather. When you said the little opening on the visor roller, do you mean the space between the plastic stem and the cloth?
Old 10-07-11, 05:43 PM
skassamali
Driver

Can anyone post pics of where exactly the vaseline needs to be squeezed in?
Old 10-08-11, 01:07 AM
Twix
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought that only I had that stupid problem
If anyone has any DIY, please post
Old 10-14-11, 04:09 PM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I've got that problem too, but it doesn't bother me too muchYou guy are probably better off using something like the Shin etsu grease. (Seems to be all the rage) The vaseline will probably thin out when it gets hot.
Old 10-17-11, 03:32 AM
atmijlin
Driver School Candidate

Talking

Your are right about the grease, but I am still looking for how to inject the grease to the visor. Headache for me now!
Old 10-17-11, 06:50 AM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by atmijlin
Your are right about the grease, but I am still looking for how to inject the grease to the visor. Headache for me now!
Does it make noise when you drive? If not, maybe leave it alone? The noise only lasts a quick second, but who am I kidding. It would probably bother me too.
Old 10-17-11, 07:00 AM
thinkin
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
And mine was baby sent, so I have a little baby sent in car now...
It smells like babies?
Old 10-17-11, 08:04 AM
smm3
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I didn't think putting vasoline would be a good idea. Will it not harm the plastic since its a petroleum product?? Mine creaks too and was looking for a solution....
Old 10-17-11, 07:38 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't even notice this til you guys mentioned it. Certainly doesn't bother me enough to bother with it, and it doesn't make noise once it is in position. Not only that, the increased resistance means I can leave it in more positions without it vibrating loose.
Old 10-19-21, 08:03 PM
430Dreamer
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Sun Visor Squeak

Sorry for resurrecting this old thread, but I wondered if anyone had a solution for squeaking sun visors. Every time I rotate the panels to place the sunshade across the dash, both are creaking loudly on this otherwise silent vehicle. (Mind you, there's no noise while driving. Only when the visors are being positioned). Many thanks!

Originally Posted by hrp
Both front sunvisors on our 2002 LS430 have recently developed a horrible "squeek" which sounds more like an angry crow. The noise occurs with the rotation of the sunvisor on the plastic tube when the visor is rotated up and down either in or out of the clip above the inside rearview miror. I've used a silicon lubricant as far down the tube as the visor will extend without significant improvement. The noise does not occur with rotation of the visor to cover the side window. Only when the visor is rotated up and down (in any position, extended or not).

Suggestions???

Thanks,
HRP
Wacogal20 (08-20-24)
Old 10-20-21, 12:10 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 411 Likes on 348 Posts
Default Toyota Body Grease

Petroleum based products are not compatible with plastics.

Had same visor squeak with 1999 LS400.

Applied Toyota Body Grease and problem solved.

Durable lubricant and compatible with plastics.

Excellent for use in steering wheel tilt and telescopic mechanisms.

Not inexpensive, but the good stuff that is compatible with plastic
The following 2 users liked this post by YODAONE:
CSA (10-20-21), Wacogal20 (08-20-24)
Old 07-18-22, 03:01 PM
TSFARRIS
1st Gear

Originally Posted by YODAONE
Petroleum based products are not compatible with plastics.

Had same visor squeak with 1999 LS400.

Applied Toyota Body Grease and problem solved.

Durable lubricant and compatible with plastics.

Excellent for use in steering wheel tilt and telescopic mechanisms.

Not inexpensive, but the good stuff that is compatible with plastic
What did you use to inject the body grease into the length of the visor rod?

Quick Reply: Fix For Sunvisor Squeek