LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Used Prices LS430 down LS460 up?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-09, 05:17 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so mikem. what vehicles do you currently own, for how long, and how much did you acquire them for. your comments may be all relative, but for me i would need this info before making that assumption??

BTW: i was not aware that you had to get eh 4 seater option in order to just get the rear sunshades..? wow. the 460L doesn't have any sort of rear sunshade??
Old 05-27-09, 05:32 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Just the doors...

Originally Posted by sojah
BTW: i was not aware that you had to get eh 4 seater option in order to just get the rear sunshades..? wow. the 460L doesn't have any sort of rear sunshade??
That's just the door sunshade I was talking about, not the rear window sunshade. The rear window comes with almost every trim.

The 460 just has the typical Toyota "too many options" packages available.
Old 05-27-09, 08:07 AM
BlackUltra
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just checked the inventory of the site where I bought my LS430 and it appears that they had a bunch of LS430's marked as sold. Their prices were higher than when I bought in November and they are still moving them. So appears that the Lexus Sales Manager was just talking like BNR34 said. By the way the site is

http://www.malonesauto.com/invlist.php

if anyone is interested. I can vouch for them as very clean cars and reputable.

Also since the first 07 LS430 didn't sell until Oct 06 what are all of the used ones doing on the market now? Are ther that many 2 year leases or have people become frustrated with the problems i.e. wind noise, etc. and are trading them in or just selling them?

And if LS460 prices are going up what is the deal with a 2007 LS460 Exec Pkg (new $94K) going for $57.9K?

http://www.hennessyjaguaratlanta.com/MainPage.aspx
Old 05-27-09, 08:16 AM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ls460's (2007) are creeping down below 50K with around 30K miles.

definitely a buyers market now if u have the cash. Dealers are getting twitchy to unload their inventory even at break even point.

Originally Posted by BlackUltra
Just checked the inventory of the site where I bought my LS430 and it appears that they had a bunch of LS430's marked as sold. Their prices were higher than when I bought in November and they are still moving them. So appears that the Lexus Sales Manager was just talking like BNR34 said. By the way the site is

http://www.malonesauto.com/invlist.php

if anyone is interested. I can vouch for them as very clean cars and reputable.

Also since the first 07 LS430 didn't sell until Oct 06 what are all of the used ones doing on the market now? Are ther that many 2 year leases or have people become frustrated with the problems i.e. wind noise, etc. and are trading them in or just selling them?

And if LS460 prices are going up what is the deal with a 2007 LS460 Exec Pkg (new $94K) going for $57.9K?

http://www.hennessyjaguaratlanta.com/MainPage.aspx
Old 05-27-09, 09:59 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Typical lease terms

... Also since the first 07 LS430 didn't sell until Oct 06 what are all of the used ones doing on the market now? Are ther that many 2 year leases or have people become frustrated with the problems i.e. wind noise, etc. and are trading them in or just selling them?
36 mo. leases are typical, but there are lease terms for any months you want. I've seen 12 month leases, 40 month leases and more. It all depends on what you feel you need the vehicle for and how long you want to hold onto it. You're paying for the amount you "use" anyway, so the longer you hold a car, the more you pay because past 40 months and say 36K is when the major items like tires, brake pads, etc. start going and you're responsible for those.

Also, with new cars, some times if you're close to end of lease, the dealer will take over the lease for you, to get you into a newer lease.
Old 05-27-09, 10:19 AM
BlackUltra
Pole Position

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
36 mo. leases are typical, but there are lease terms for any months you want. I've seen 12 month leases, 40 month leases and more. It all depends on what you feel you need the vehicle for and how long you want to hold onto it. You're paying for the amount you "use" anyway, so the longer you hold a car, the more you pay because past 40 months and say 36K is when the major items like tires, brake pads, etc. start going and you're responsible for those.

Also, with new cars, some times if you're close to end of lease, the dealer will take over the lease for you, to get you into a newer lease.
I think your point about dealers taking over the lease to get you into a newer lease is what is happening. The dealer I talked with wanted to get me into an 09 rather than an 07 because the wind noise was supposedly not an issue with the 09 anymore.

Also because the 07 LS460L was getting the fuel rail recall I was not able to drive it. But did get to see what it entailed and it requires taking the engine apart so that you can see the piston cylinders. Major work there. The sales guy just advised he sold it for $56k plus tag tax and title.
Old 05-27-09, 11:24 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Just checked the inventory of the site where I bought my LS430 and it appears that they had a bunch of LS430's marked as sold. Their prices were higher than when I bought in November and they are still moving them. So appears that the Lexus Sales Manager was just talking like BNR34 said.

The Lexus Sales Manager just being the typical lying salesman, I don't blame him though, they won't sell anything if they don't lie, it is part of their job.

In general, the rate of depreciation is highest in the first 3 years of a luxury car's life, so actually if you are just looking at the percentage, LS460/LS600 are depreciating faster then the older LS430s. When a used car's hit 5-7 years old, the rate of depreciation level out, clean low mileage LS430s are settling around $20k~$30k right now. While prices of LS460 and LS600 are coming down fast. And with today's economy, more expensive items are depreciating faster, look at all the 08' LS600, they are hitting the high $60k now, almost half of their MSRP in less then 2 years!

Reasons why so many used LS460 on the market? I am sure the bad economy making people dump their luxury toys is a big reason.
Old 05-27-09, 11:54 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Yep, I'm fixin to retire and will be doing some serious driving. Just testing the waters and found out that it is dang near impossible to duplicate the total LS430 Ultra Package in the LS460. So I will be holding on to my LS for awhile.
Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
Exactly. Take for example the rear door sunshades. To get that option, you have to get the upgrade rear seat 'executive' package, which takes away the center seat, so you end up only having a four seat car. What if I want that center seat? The LS430 UL trim gives you the goodies, but folds away when not needed.
Before I say the following, let me make it clear that the LS430 UL is still my favorite LS so far, I don't like the layout and styling of the new generation LS. And I am not here to talk BlackUltra and AlexusAnja into trading in his 430 for a 460L. I am just here to get the facts straight.

You can spec out a LS460L to be identical to a LS430 UL without having the executive seating package with the fixed center console. The Luxury Package with Rear-Seat Upgrade Package give the LS460L everything the LS430 UL has, power-heat/cool rear seats, cool box, extra AC unit in the rear with air purifier, power side window shade and rear sunshade, air suspension. Audio and AC control in the rear arm rest, massage rear seats, Alcantara headliner, radar cruise control with PCS......etc. It is identical to a UL, actually it offer more since the side shades are power. And that is not a fixed center console, all the controls is in the fold up center arm rest just like the 430 UL.

The executive seating package offer the lazy boy with the ottoman, and the fixed center console with the table, and the LCD screen on the roof with the DVD player.

I really looked into this before, while the LS460L offer everything the LS430 UL has, but it doesn't offer much more, the only thing I wish my LS430 UL has from the LS460L is the power side shades and the 8 speeds tranny. The new engine got 100 more hp, but the car is also 400~500 lbs heavier, so it is really not that much quicker. Hopefully my LS430 UL will last 10+ years so I can skip this 4th generation LS460 and go straight to the 5th generation LS500L that offer more.

Here is the rear arm rest from the Rear-Seat Upgrade Package, it is just like the UL, the massage seat buttons are under the arm rest cover, so you don't see it here:

Last edited by BNR34; 05-27-09 at 12:10 PM.
Old 05-28-09, 01:07 PM
UGKkllr
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mikemareen
I take what I said back, I wouldn't pay more than 20k for any 04 to 06 ucf3x.

there are a whole bunch of them on cars.com in the 20k to 25k range.
Ya and not a single one of them is Ultra luxury with low miles in a good color combo, that I can garuntee you. You cant compare an Ultra luxury to one without the UL package, thats a 13k dollar option. I been looking for one and its like finding a needle in a haystack. All the clean ones that arent from some shadey "wholesale dealership" are 27-33 grand and people gladly pay it. The only 04+ you can get for 20 grand is an absolute piece of crap in some ugly color combo with 80k miles from some shadey dealership.
Old 05-28-09, 01:21 PM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your money, do as u please.

Originally Posted by UGKkllr
Ya and not a single one of them is Ultra luxury with low miles in a good color combo, that I can garuntee you. You cant compare an Ultra luxury to one without the UL package, thats a 13k dollar option. I been looking for one and its like finding a needle in a haystack. All the clean ones that arent from some shadey "wholesale dealership" are 27-33 grand and people gladly pay it. The only 04+ you can get for 20 grand is an absolute piece of crap in some ugly color combo with 80k miles from some shadey dealership.
Old 05-28-09, 01:56 PM
Salil022
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

i agree with ugk...20k for an 04 UL would be impossible to find unless mileage is above 70k and car is in average condition...Dealer gave me 23.5k for my 03 LS UL few months ago cuz it was in excellent shape with less than 50k miles
Old 05-28-09, 01:57 PM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm sure there's always that needle in the haystack out there somewhere, but about 99% of the time the cars that are priced well below the rest of the market are priced that way for a reason. I recently spent about 4 months or so looking at LS430's, ready to buy when I found the right car but in no hurry because I already had 4 vehicles with only 2 licensed drivers in the household. Part of the "right car" for me included being in immaculate condition, no damage history, and at a decent/at-least-semi-bargain price. SEVERAL times I found a car that appeared to be that super bargin I was hoping for, and every time when I either went to see the car in person or pinned the seller down to send high-resolution photos or do a live-on-the-phone walk-around describing everything he saw that was less than perfect, it turned out that the car was priced either too high for what it actually was, or at best, at about what it might be worth (IMO) in that less-than-desired condition. And I was willing to travel at least 1000 miles for the right car, so I checked on a bunch of 'em.
Old 05-28-09, 02:04 PM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Salil022
...Dealer gave me 23.5k for my 03 LS UL few months ago cuz it was in excellent shape with less than 50k miles
Was that an allowance on trade for the IS-F, or outright purchase of your LS by the dealer?
Old 05-28-09, 02:08 PM
Salil022
Instructor

it was a trade in for IS-F but i did not pay full sticker for IS-F...I paid 53k for IS-F which was stickered at 62xxx and that was back in August 08 so i know i did not get raped on the IS-F...got an excellent deal on the APR as well since i financed.
Old 05-28-09, 02:10 PM
Salil022
Instructor

Plus got the rarest combo IS-F can come in....Ultrasonic blue with alpine interior

Quick Reply: Used Prices LS430 down LS460 up?