LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Advice on 2003 Lexus LS 430

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-09, 05:46 PM
thechoson
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on 2003 Lexus LS 430

A friend of a friend is selling her 2003 Lexus LS 430 with 65k miles for $17k.

The info I have so far says it's basically the "base" LS 430, no Navi or additional packages.

Was wondering if this is a good deal?

Also, I was wondering about maintenance on an LS 430 of that age. Anything to be aware of? Are even generic oil changes extremely expensive?

Also, should I be looking at getting some kind of 3rd party warranty? I'd imagine if the engine or transmission fails I am looking at a HUGE bill.

Any advice and comments would be appreciated!
Old 06-02-09, 05:56 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Overpriced if base...

Originally Posted by thechoson
A friend of a friend is selling her 2003 Lexus LS 430 with 65k miles for $17k.

The info I have so far says it's basically the "base" LS 430, no Navi or additional packages.

Was wondering if this is a good deal?

Also, I was wondering about maintenance on an LS 430 of that age. Anything to be aware of? Are even generic oil changes extremely expensive?

Also, should I be looking at getting some kind of 3rd party warranty? I'd imagine if the engine or transmission fails I am looking at a HUGE bill.

Any advice and comments would be appreciated!
Given that you can get a fully loaded Ultra Luxury of the same year and mileage for about $22K or less, then getting a base for $5K less is I think too expensive. The car would have to be in top prime condition, in and out, for it to be something I would even consider getting.

As for "generic" oil changes, do you mean conventional as in non-synthetic, or you actually mean "generic" as in not from a Lexus dealership? The LS takes 5.5 quarts of motor oil and a regular filter, so if you bring to say a "Jiffy Lube" (which I would NEVER recommend) then it won't cost any more than any other car.

As for extended warranty through an underwriter, I don't think that it would be worth if for a base model. The price would be comparable between base and loaded, so with the base LS having not much goodies that are outrageous in price to fix, you won't make or break even. Also, not to say it can NEVER happen, but I have never heard of an LS of any generation having transmission or engine issues before even 200K+ so you're many miles/years from any issues and you'll be way beyond any "extended" warranty.

Last edited by AlexusAnja; 06-03-09 at 05:14 AM. Reason: Did the correct math and put $5K, not $7K difference
Old 06-02-09, 06:11 PM
thechoson
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the response, so what would you say is a fair price for that vehicle?
Old 06-02-09, 06:43 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
Given that you can get a fully loaded Ultra Luxury of the same year and mileage for about $22K or less, then getting a base for $5K less is I think too expensive.
Fixed

I would personally get at least ML and wait if 20K+ is too much!
For me, if I still buy it, it is worth 14.5K-15K
Old 06-02-09, 06:55 PM
JP2SEA
Lead Lap

Given the California market (or westcoast in general), the used car tends to hold higher resale than the east coast cars. I would say the base for $17K is a bit high side but if you can pick this up for $15K-$15.5K, knowing your friend own it (know the history of the car), I'd say go for it.

For me, I would make sure the car I buy has all the options I want. Does it even have a sun roof?
Old 06-02-09, 07:13 PM
thechoson
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the responses.

As for the car, I haven't looked at it yet or anything (it's in another city). But the info I've gotten says that it's a "base" model. It doesn't have Navi, so I figure it doesn't have many if any options.

Could some of you LS owners kindly give me some info on how much you generally pay for regular maintenance like oil changes?

Does the 2003 model have any known problems I should be aware of? I was thinking of having an independent mechanic check out the car before I buy
Old 06-02-09, 07:32 PM
JP2SEA
Lead Lap

Here in WA, oil/filter change plus a car wash and a vacuum inside is about $85~$90 at the Lexus dealership.
60K mile service was about $800~, I know people mentioned the major 90K service is about $1200~$1600 depends on the states. All filters (oil, air, a/c etc..) and oils are easy to change. I opt to use dealer since this particular dealer let me use their loaner car while I'm getting my oil changed (or I use their business center for internet while having a coffee and some snack).

Last edited by JP2SEA; 06-02-09 at 09:55 PM.
Old 06-02-09, 08:04 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

getting a base model of a flagship car makes no sense to me... but that's just me... as for oil change, the above statements seems accurate... but you can also take the car to any regular shop for much less, like 20-30 bucks for simple oil change. If the previous owner use syn oil, I would recommend continuing to do so, but I doubt they did if previous owner was a woman. Syn Oil Change at dealership is bout $200 I think?

Last edited by KILLERGS4; 06-02-09 at 08:09 PM.
Old 06-03-09, 05:18 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Women and synthetic...

Originally Posted by KILLERGS4
... If the previous owner use syn oil, I would recommend continuing to do so, but I doubt they did if previous owner was a woman...
You're lucky most forum members are men, or you'd be getting bashed and your mailbox bombed by now. ha ha.

But, it is true, women concentrate more on synthetic body parts than oil...
Old 06-03-09, 06:28 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

My thoughts are:
- Sounds a little high as others have stated.
- The non-Nav cars had the non-Mark Levinson sound system which in my side-by-side comparison clearly does not sound as good (only significant if sound is important to you).
- Obviously you can make your own decision whether or not Nav is important to you. I'm sure I'm in the minority, but frankly, it's a necessary annoyance for me in order to get the ML sound system -- otherwise I'd prefer the direct control of the HVAC and sound system that the non-Nav setup provides. I don't like having to punch around on the screen to access the feature that I want to control.
- I think the '03 truly base models still had the non-perforated, non-cooled front seats (I might be wrong and they might have changed it in '03) -- I like the feel and also the cooling feature of the perforated seats, but you'd have to drive one (in the heat) to make that decision for yourself.
- IMO the longer term maintenance and upkeep costs for an LS430 are nothing to be concerned about as compared to other cars unless you are on an extremely tight car budget.

Last edited by I6turbo; 06-03-09 at 06:32 AM.
Old 06-03-09, 09:24 PM
AznRacer
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

honestly IMO the price is kinda high for being just a base model. I myself just picked up a 03 with 75k CL packet including NAV/ML for $15k and the car is in top condition for being an 03
Old 06-04-09, 02:28 PM
Budhah
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AznRacer
honestly IMO the price is kinda high for being just a base model. I myself just picked up a 03 with 75k CL packet including NAV/ML for $15k and the car is in top condition for being an 03
I know there are lots of post here bashing the NAV system, but when it comes to selling the car, it will pay off. I don't use mine all the time, but love it when kids ask when we will be home, and I can look over and tell them 13 min. Even on short 20 mile trips, we like knowing where and WHEN we are. Going on 100 miles trips, I know how far from town to town we are, and know to watch for speed traps just past the city limits.

Buying a great car with only part of the extras or none makes no sense. There are many better deals out there than the one you presented... But if you have already bought the "ride". Enjoy, and as my neighbor said "Congratulation" Other wise keep looking...
Old 06-04-09, 07:43 PM
AggieLS
Pole Position

I have to agree with Budhah that while you may feel you don't want/need extra's today, they certainly add to the luxury of the LS.
Old 06-05-09, 08:43 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by KILLERGS4
getting a base model of a flagship car makes no sense to me... but that's just me... as for oil change, the above statements seems accurate... but you can also take the car to any regular shop for much less, like 20-30 bucks for simple oil change. If the previous owner use syn oil, I would recommend continuing to do so, but I doubt they did if previous owner was a woman. Syn Oil Change at dealership is bout $200 I think?
I use Mobil 1 in my UL. Not all dealers are a rip off in oil changes. I took a carton of 6 qts to my local Lexus and they charged me $28 for changing including new filter. Found taking my own Mobil 1 is not necessary as they sell Mobil 1 as an option at around $6-$7 per quart, making an oil change cost around $70 including their oil. Inquire at your dealer before you decide to have it done elsewhere. I'm very happy with my dealer and won't let anyone else touch the car.