LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Differences between the LS430 grades (base,ML,CL,etc)

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-10, 01:30 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Options and stuff...

Originally Posted by Ay-nako
My boss at work and a blk/blk 05' ls430 it was a ML with headlight washers... and belive me it was NOT a CL
Shirley you must be kidding...

Your boss has the buttons for the headlamp washers on his dash, or perhaps he got into an accident and only has the bumper of a CL/UL with the headlamp washer cover?

According to Lexus specs for the model run, the headlamp washers were not offered on anything except CL and UL. Not even as a standalone option. One of the items that made me get a CL over a ML.

Then again... maybe the non-CL with headlamp washers is another anomaly like the air-suspension CL that someone online here has. Hasn't posted photos of that yet though...
Old 01-30-10, 01:33 PM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My LS430 has wings and flies, it is the Sky Package.

Actually, I'm dreaming, I have a GS.
Old 01-30-10, 01:42 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Default Rb

Originally Posted by airahcaz
My LS430 has wings and flies, it is the Sky Package.

Actually, I'm dreaming, I have a GS.
I thought you were going to say it was the "Red Bull" package.

Anyway, I don't think there was a non CL or UL with headlamp washers.
Old 01-30-10, 02:01 PM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

Um, are headlamp washers even necessary? Only for long drives and when you haven't had a car wash?
Old 01-31-10, 01:00 AM
wildace
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Um, are headlamp washers even necessary? Only for long drives and when you haven't had a car wash?
not for most city slickers but neither is the power seatbelt adjuster but sure is a nice thing to have
Old 01-31-10, 04:47 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Are most all of the features on the LS necessary? Stop by and I'll let you borrow my chore truck for a day - uncomfortable & non-adjustable cloth seats, vinyl armrests, crank windows, manual door locks, manual HVAC, underpowered engine, and washboard ride. Every luxo feature in the LS (or most any other car) is something to crave after a day in the Dakota. However, my truck was cheap to buy and own, doesn't drain the battery when sitting for a month, carries dirty stuff I'd never want in my daily driver, and the dog loves riding in the back seat.
Old 01-31-10, 05:54 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

LOL I can't think of a more useless item for a car. What the heck kind of cleaner would you put in there (aggressive stuff, that you wouldn't want on the paint?) that would remove soils without scrubbing? I've had the old MB's that also had wiper arms/blades along with the washers, and even with those I've never seen a real world instance where I could make use of them. I suppose if one drove on dirt roads in the rain behind other vehicles those little washers might be able to spray something off, or perhaps some other situation that I can't think of... But if it's raining, the rain will provide a lot more cleaning than the washers because the rain will hit with more force when the vehicle is traveling at speed.
Old 01-31-10, 07:31 AM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by KILLERGS4
Custom Luxury Selection

- Dynamic Radar Cruise Control [15]
- Laminated side glass
- Headlamp washers
- Power door closers
- Perforated leather seating surfaces
So these seem the be the only differences in CL.

I suppose if one finds a good deal on either, go for it - don't need to seek out a CL specifically, and purposely overlook an ML...
Old 01-31-10, 07:51 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

The CL (and UL) had adaptive cruise control. Laser based was standard. Radar based with pre-collision system was an (expensive) option. All cars (premium, ML, CL, and UL) with cooled front seats had perforated leather seating surfaces. The other CL differences:

- Suede headliner
- Semi-aniline leather (black) or comfort leather (saddle or ecru) were required extra cost options
- Ash and cashmere interiors were not available
- Additional leather covering on the lower dash, doors, and center console.
Old 01-31-10, 07:59 AM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by caddyowner
The CL (and UL) had adaptive cruise control. Laser based was standard. Radar based with pre-collision system was an (expensive) option. All cars (premium, ML, CL, and UL) with cooled front seats had perforated leather seating surfaces. The other CL differences:

- Suede headliner
- Semi-aniline leather (black) or comfort leather (saddle or ecru) were required extra cost options
- Ash and cashmere interiors were not available
- Additional leather covering on the lower dash, doors, and center console.
sorry, what's the difference between adaptive versus laser?
Old 01-31-10, 08:07 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

If the laser-based PCS system detects an unavoidable collision, it tightens the seatbelt and pre-charges the brakes for maximum braking as soon as you hit the brakes. You can identify these cars by the square shield around the front "L" grille emblem. Dynamic cruise control (laser or radar) adjusts your speed so you don't run into the car in front of you when the cruise is set.
Old 01-31-10, 11:21 AM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by caddyowner
Are most all of the features on the LS necessary? Stop by and I'll let you borrow my chore truck for a day - uncomfortable & non-adjustable cloth seats, vinyl armrests, crank windows, manual door locks, manual HVAC, underpowered engine, and washboard ride. Every luxo feature in the LS (or most any other car) is something to crave after a day in the Dakota. However, my truck was cheap to buy and own, doesn't drain the battery when sitting for a month, carries dirty stuff I'd never want in my daily driver, and the dog loves riding in the back seat.
Hey caddy, let the dog take a ride in the back of the LS and see which one he'll prefer in the future.
Old 01-31-10, 02:37 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Slvr surfr
Hey caddy, let the dog take a ride in the back of the LS and see which one he'll prefer in the future.
That's one of the reasons I didn't want to get a UL. If she ever got a chance to experience those heated, reclining, massaging seats I would never get her out of there. She'd also probably mess around with my radio stations.
Old 01-31-10, 03:32 PM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

^^ LOL Most of the dogs I've had would rather be in the back of the Dakota than the LS.
Old 01-31-10, 04:01 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Default Damn good...

It's pretty useless. I've had it over a year now, used it two or three times and each time, didn't really notice any difference. Sort of used it only because did not press the button in a while.

I mean really, what on the LS is really a MUST HAVE?

1. Power seats - you can do the same manually.
2. Heated seats - wear thicker pants
3. Cooled seats - wear shorts
4. AC - open the window
5. Cruise - control your feet young Daniel-san...
6. Door closers - oh my goodness, you're that weak?
7. Rear sunshade - turn the mirror down

ha ha... they're all lazy "men's" toys. That's all...

Quick Reply: Differences between the LS430 grades (base,ML,CL,etc)