LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Differences between the LS430 grades (base,ML,CL,etc)

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-10, 05:21 PM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
It's pretty useless. I've had it over a year now, used it two or three times and each time, didn't really notice any difference. Sort of used it only because did not press the button in a while.

I mean really, what on the LS is really a MUST HAVE?

1. Power seats - you can do the same manually.
2. Heated seats - wear thicker pants
3. Cooled seats - wear shorts
4. AC - open the window
5. Cruise - control your feet young Daniel-san...
6. Door closers - oh my goodness, you're that weak?
7. Rear sunshade - turn the mirror down

ha ha... they're all lazy "men's" toys. That's all...
ok, so then standard is fine, else ML is really all one needs... esp considering $
Old 02-01-10, 05:25 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 105 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by airahcaz
ok, so then standard is fine, else ML is really all one needs... esp considering $
"Need" really has nothing to do with consideration of a Lexus. And that's just fine.
Old 02-01-10, 08:02 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

After driving my sports car recently, I find the self-dimming mirrors are pretty essential, or I get blinded by some pickup truck's headlights (and there are lots around here). Also, if you have a dog/cat, pet hair doesn't stick to real leather (but will stick like a magnet to fake leather). So that makes two "luxury items" essential.

Power headrests are also really nice if you share cars w/ someone...beats craning your arms backwards trying to locate the little spring loaded button at the traffic light.
Old 02-02-10, 08:52 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Everything is nice to have, nothing is essential.

With the logic some people have in this thread, they don't even need a car, they can just walk, they don't even need shoes.

I enjoy every single features on my UL, do I "need" them....no, do I love them....oh god YES.

That is the point of a luxury car, is to be pamper. For anyone who just want to get from point A to B, a 10 years old Yaris is all they need. Why are they even looking at Lexus?
Old 02-02-10, 10:02 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Need...

Originally Posted by BNR34
Everything is nice to have, nothing is essential.

With the logic some people have in this thread, they don't even need a car, they can just walk, they don't even need shoes.

I enjoy every single features on my UL, do I "need" them....no, do I love them....oh god YES.

That is the point of a luxury car, is to be pamper. For anyone who just want to get from point A to B, a 10 years old Yaris is all they need. Why are they even looking at Lexus?
I just said they're not essential... didn't say I didn't "need" them... ha ha.

Like you said, buying a luxo car is about pampering and induldging... not bare necessity.

All the things I listed as having options for doing it, I wouldn't do any of it at this point... ha ha.
Old 07-17-10, 08:23 PM
rizo1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all, I have a quick question. I am trying to purchase an 02/03 ls430 CL. Are the headlamp washers still the most obvious way to tell if the 01-03 models are a CL like they are on the 04-06 models? Thanks!
Old 07-18-10, 06:18 AM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Ha - I detect a subtle theme in this thread. I think you UL guys are deeply ashamed of your girlie man auto door closers.. So it was like "O ya, Vee had to get ze UL , zha only udda choice was a 10 year old Yugo vit no doors or steering veel!"

(please read the above using your best Arnold Schwarzenegger voice : )

Last edited by Jabberwock; 07-18-10 at 06:28 AM.
Old 07-18-10, 07:06 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Remember zat ze CL (at least later ones) alzo have ze girlie man door closers. I have come to appreciate them.
Old 07-18-10, 08:47 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
Ha - I detect a subtle theme in this thread. I think you UL guys are deeply ashamed of your girlie man auto door closers.. So it was like "O ya, Vee had to get ze UL , zha only udda choice was a 10 year old Yugo vit no doors or steering veel!"

(please read the above using your best Arnold Schwarzenegger voice : )
Ashamed? The soft door closers is my favorite feature on the car! That really differentiate it from lesser luxury cars, as you can only get that feature from ultra high level luxury cars........Bentleys, Rolls Royces, fully loaded S-class, fully loaded 7-series......etc. It is the only Lexus that have that feature.
Old 07-18-10, 12:58 PM
BlackUltra
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
Ashamed? The soft door closers is my favorite feature on the car! That really differentiate it from lesser luxury cars, as you can only get that feature from ultra high level luxury cars........Bentleys, Rolls Royces, fully loaded S-class, fully loaded 7-series......etc. It is the only Lexus that have that feature.
I wholeheartily Agree.

Furthermore, as a LS430UL owner who is seriously looking at buying a 2007 MB SL550, all those Ultra Luxury options that I am going to give up are making me rethink my decision. Just may stay in my UL Baby and keep enjoying the most comfortable seats I have ever experienced in an automobile along with the other UL "goodies".
Old 07-18-10, 02:22 PM
chris81964
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I enjoy everything the Ultra has. Where I come from it is called oppressing your acquaintances. He who has the most toys or features rules.
I love my cooled seats on days I wear a suit (6 days a week). I like the dimming mirrors when I go to pick my sons up from college. (usually at night after work). I like the door closers for when I close the doors in the rain and if I don't push it hard enough. Same goes for the trunk. I don't get as wet.
Old 07-18-10, 03:33 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

The girlie man doors post was a joke...yikes...too bad the UL option list doesn't include a sense of humor : )

Last edited by Jabberwock; 07-18-10 at 05:33 PM.
Old 07-18-10, 05:43 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BlackUltra
I wholeheartily Agree.

Furthermore, as a LS430UL owner who is seriously looking at buying a 2007 MB SL550, all those Ultra Luxury options that I am going to give up are making me rethink my decision. Just may stay in my UL Baby and keep enjoying the most comfortable seats I have ever experienced in an automobile along with the other UL "goodies".
Yeah the SL550 is a very fun weekend cruiser, but you are giving up a lot of luxury amenities. Only a fully loaded S550 offer the same level of amenities as the 430 UL.

This is why I only drive my SC430 on the weekend, in my daily commute daily grind, I have to have my UL, after a long hard day at work, all those amenities are so nice to have!!
Old 07-18-10, 05:45 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
The girlie man doors post was a joke...yikes...too bad the UL option list doesn't include a sense of humor : )
I knew it was a joke, I was just expressing my opinion on my beloved soft door closer

That was one of the disappointment I had with the 2002 Bentley Arnage, because it was an older model, it doesn't have soft door closer, what a let down on a $300k car!
Old 07-18-10, 05:52 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by chris81964
I like the door closers for when I close the doors in the rain and if I don't push it hard enough. Same goes for the trunk. I don't get as wet.
Same feeling here for the door closers, I always close my door with the required force to try to not use the door closer as much as I can to save the motor, that motor module is $600! But on the occasion that I don't close the door hard enough, it is so nice to not have to open the door again! It sounds stupid for people that don't have door closer, they are like you never need that! They don't get it until they have it, everything adds up to life better

Quick Reply: Differences between the LS430 grades (base,ML,CL,etc)