LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

04 LS430 - What to look for? (buying advice)

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-09, 09:30 PM
Dave-ROR
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 LS430 - What to look for? (buying advice)

Hello, I tried to search for a buyer's guide and didn't find anything in the search (I could have chosen poor search terms, if there is a guide that includes things to look for, common issues, etc please feel free to call me an idiot for not searching properly and include the link ).

My parents are retired and on a very fixed income, and I am planning on buying them an LS so they'll have a reliable car for years to come (they currently own 2 93 Town Cars, a 97 Cadillac Catera and a 98 Cadillac DeVille). I am focusing on 04 and newer cars, but an 01-03 with low miles would be fine. I am planning on selling (or trading if I find the car through a dealer) the 2 Cadillac's in, one of the town cars I'll strip for parts to use on the other town car.

I recently found a 04 white, tan interior, looks like a CL based on pictures (headlight washers, but not a UL center console, looks to have the headlight washer switch so probably not an incorrect bumper repair from an accident), Moonlight pearl exterior, around 44,000 miles, as a repo at my credit union. I'm going to go look at the car tomorrow, but from the few pics I have of the car it looks decently clean, and was previously owned by a lexus dealership employee, so hopefully it's scheduled maintenance has been performed (but it's a repo, so you never know). They are asking $26k for it. What would be a fair price for an 04 CL with 44k?

I'm not too worried about maintenance costs, most of the normal maint. I'll handle myself, but what items (besides trans drain/fill) are Lexus dealer specific type maintenance?

I'll be checking for the normal stuff, vin tags, subframe marks from a frame machine, running a carfax report, etc. tomorrow when I go drive the car, but figured I might get some responses before lunchtime on other things to check to I wanted to post up. I'll take some pics of the car tomorrow if I remember to bring my camera.

Thanks in advance for your help.
-Dave
Old 06-04-09, 10:56 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave-ROR

What would be a fair price for an 04 CL with 44k?
I paid 20.5K for 04 CL with 47K miles to a private party. I spend another 500 to make it perfect.

20-21K would be a fair price.
Old 06-05-09, 07:25 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

They are asking $26k for it. What would be a fair price for an 04 CL with 44k?
Sounds a little high, particularly if it's not CPO, in amazingly good condition, or some mitigating circumstance. If it's as you describe/expect (that is, good condition), I'd think $22-23ish would be more fair. There will be some out there for even less than that if you want to search and perhaps travel a bit, but I'd say 22-23 would be fair.
I'm not too worried about maintenance costs, most of the normal maint. I'll handle myself, but what items (besides trans drain/fill) are Lexus dealer specific type maintenance?
Nothing, really -- no reason you can't do everything yourself if you want. BTW, Toyota doesn't even recommend fluid changes on the new A761E transmission. There's not even a drain plug on it, IIRC.
Old 06-05-09, 08:31 AM
Dave-ROR
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by I6turbo
Sounds a little high, particularly if it's not CPO, in amazingly good condition, or some mitigating circumstance. If it's as you describe/expect (that is, good condition), I'd think $22-23ish would be more fair. There will be some out there for even less than that if you want to search and perhaps travel a bit, but I'd say 22-23 would be fair.
Nothing, really -- no reason you can't do everything yourself if you want. BTW, Toyota doesn't even recommend fluid changes on the new A761E transmission. There's not even a drain plug on it, IIRC.
Thanks for the replies so far.

I was thinking it was a bit high also, I've seen local CPO cars (mostly ML cars, one UL but it was higher priced) going for 26-28k asking price.

I'll take a look at the car in a few hours and get a better idea of condition. I was originally thinking of offering 22k on it, so it sounds like I'm in the ballpark. I'll probably offer a little less now (assuming the car is as expected).

Transmissions that don't need fluid changes worry me, I've just seen so many transmissions fail without proper maintenance... in fact I need to swap one next weekend (in a Subaru), but none of them are sealed transmissions, but I find it hard to believe that the trans fluid is that good.

Looks like Helm has service manuals available (for $240, a bit more than I'm used to spending for my Honda/Acura manuals from them) so I'll be able to get the factory service manual at least.
Old 06-05-09, 09:03 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Transmissions that don't need fluid changes worry me, I've just seen so many transmissions fail without proper maintenance... in fact I need to swap one next weekend (in a Subaru), but none of them are sealed transmissions, but I find it hard to believe that the trans fluid is that good.
I agree -- sounds a bit scary. Of course there are LOTS of cars that have never had a transmission fluid change and have run 200K miles or more because most people don't actually change it. Still, it seems a bit scary.

I do know from talking with a 30-year veteran Toyota Service Manager in the Dallas area (this guy is highly regarded in the Toyota dealer community) that the "world" transmissions (that's what they call these no-mtce. ones) seem to be more likely to fail if they are opened up for a fluid change than if they're just left alone. He says that a TINY amount of water or other substance that isn't supposed to be there can cause functional problems. Even knowing that, he says that he just has a hard time with the notion of "no maintenance." LOL
Old 06-05-09, 12:58 PM
Diplocar
Rookie

I'm in the process of buying an 04 CL with 39,000 miles for 23,500 in the midwest from a private party. So I agree, the asking price is high. Sounds like BMW7 LS430 got a very good deal.
Old 06-05-09, 02:06 PM
Dave-ROR
Driver School Candidate

Didn't get a chance to drive the car (storms in the area), but looks in and around it. VIN tags are on the front fenders, hood, all 4 doors, but I couldn't find one on the trunk lid. Interior has some wear, or maybe just oil/dirt from the previous owner. Paint was pretty good, a few chips (expected of course, it is a 5 year old car), front end had some sticky dirt crap on it, not sure what it was.. I'd assume that it would clean off fine though.

Main question at this point: Is there a vin tag on the trunk? Wondering if the car was hit in the rear, although there wasn't obvious damage under the car.
Old 06-05-09, 04:22 PM
IMXCITD
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I thought every panel was suppose to have a tag on it...if not..it's been replaced?
Old 06-05-09, 08:34 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i'm sure the dealer will bring the price down to 23-24k. I really like the CL trim, good luck with that.
Old 06-06-09, 08:17 AM
duncan73
Driver

Default Car history

I'd use Auto Check rather than CarFax to obtain a more acurate reading of the car's history. CarFax has become somewhat controversial as evidenced by members of this forum. I've run both on my LS430 and Auto Check was far superior in every way.
Old 06-06-09, 09:42 AM
So Philly1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is the LS you're lookin at a UL?
Old 06-06-09, 10:59 PM
Griff48
Rookie

If you have a Lexus dealer local to you, go there and ask them for a printout of the car's history. If the car has been serviced by Lexus you can find out a lot. They likely will not tell you anything over the phone. And you'll need the VIN.
Old 06-07-09, 12:44 PM
Dave-ROR
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by IMXCITD
I thought every panel was suppose to have a tag on it...if not..it's been replaced?
That should be the case, just not sure if the trunk's is visible, or if it's behind one of the panels.. that's what I need to know (where the trunk's VIN tag is located).

Originally Posted by duncan73
I'd use Auto Check rather than CarFax to obtain a more acurate reading of the car's history. CarFax has become somewhat controversial as evidenced by members of this forum. I've run both on my LS430 and Auto Check was far superior in every way.
Yeah CarFax isn't very accurate.. according to it, my Integra has never been hit, yet it had one accident (minor) and another claim for a window (someone's ladder went through it).

Originally Posted by So Philly1
Is the LS you're lookin at a UL?
Uhh.. No.. CL as I posted..

Originally Posted by Griff48
If you have a Lexus dealer local to you, go there and ask them for a printout of the car's history. If the car has been serviced by Lexus you can find out a lot. They likely will not tell you anything over the phone. And you'll need the VIN.
Thanks, Will do.
Old 06-07-09, 04:06 PM
AggieLS
Pole Position

Dave-ROR --I sent you a PM.