jeffreyma
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank you alll~~~
Old 06-08-09, 02:37 PM
hoonunya
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks great. I hope mine looks that good with almost 70k on it.
My CL has saddle interior. Black interior looks great, but is a killer in South Carolina. When I got in the car after work today the temp display said 102 and was still 91 after I drove a while.
Old 06-08-09, 03:25 PM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by hoonunya
Looks great. Black interior looks great, but is a killer in South Carolina. When I got in the car after work today the temp display said 102 and was still 91 after I drove a while.
Are your windows tinted? Tint helps very noticeably, IME -- and you don't have to go dark to get most of the heat-rejection benefit.
Old 06-08-09, 04:34 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Tint?

Originally Posted by I6turbo
Are your windows tinted? Tint helps very noticeably, IME -- and you don't have to go dark to get most of the heat-rejection benefit.
A1 to that. I did 20 back and 50 front and although still warm on really sunny days, it's nowhere even close to how hot it would be. My RX with no additional tint and beige interior is SUPER hot on sunny days.
Old 06-08-09, 06:24 PM
hoonunya
Pit Crew

It's not tinted. I'm not that crazy about tint. What is the lightest that I could do that would still have some effect.
It isn't bad with the saddle interior and I always use a reflective windshield screen or whatever it is called when I park outside for any amount of time.
The cooled seats do work a little also.
Old 06-08-09, 07:21 PM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

It's not tinted. I'm not that crazy about tint. What is the lightest that I could do that would still have some effect.
It isn't bad with the saddle interior and I always use a reflective windshield screen or whatever it is called when I park outside for any amount of time.
The cooled seats do work a little also.
I'm not a fan of dark tint -- I like the 30-35% transmission, which IMO just looks nice without looking "blacked out." Tint has the added benefits of helping to protect the interior (and you) from UV. dramatically reducing glare, and the lighter shades IMO don't cut down on nighttime vision. IIRC, even something in the 50% range will give you a lot of the heat rejection (can't recall how much, but seems it was about 70% or so as much as the dark tint), and most people wouldn't even suspect it wasn't factory in terms of how dark it looks.

Last edited by I6turbo; 06-08-09 at 07:30 PM.
Old 06-09-09, 01:01 PM
jeffreyma
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah i don't think its hot enough here in cali for me to get tint, plus i like the look without the tint. the saddle interior is very cool, especially with the black carpet.
Old 06-09-09, 01:56 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 105 Likes on 85 Posts
Default Black interior temp

Looks great. I hope mine looks that good with almost 70k on it.
My CL has saddle interior. Black interior looks great, but is a killer in South Carolina. When I got in the car after work today the temp display said 102 and was still 91 after I drove a while.
I didn't know that LS430 displayed the actual interior temps. The display show exterior temp.

Regarding interior temps. Years ago I conducted a test at work with various friends cars. Measured interior temp in the drivers seat at 2 pm after heatsoaking since 8 a.m in the Phoenix sun. After correcting for a 110F day, the interior reached 150F. This was regardless of car color. Seems they all heat up to the same temp. Also didn't matter what direction the car was parked. The big thing about dark colors is that they heat up faster than the lighter cars. So if you are doing a lot of short, frequent trips the color makes a lot of difference. Otherwise, color makes little difference. Same thing with window tint.

Here's the big thing. If you put a car cover on the car, it will drop the interior temp by 20F for the situation described above. That's a huge difference when crawling into the car at the end of a work day. That 20F difference allows the A/C to cool the car much quicker.

The other thing is that it completely blocks the UV rays to the interior. The interior will look like new years later. I could almost sell car covers. Of course it's much easier to use one in Phoenix where we have very little wind and rain.

I'm retired now and don't use a car cover as my trips are short and frequent. I spite of that, my LS43 is silver and the A/C does a super job in keeping me cool and quickly.

Have you had your A/C system checked out lately?

Last edited by jayclapp; 06-09-09 at 01:58 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-09-09, 02:46 PM
El Toro
Rookie

Looks good! I like the black on black.

El Toro
Old 06-09-09, 03:32 PM
hoonunya
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by jayclapp
I didn't know that LS430 displayed the actual interior temps. The display show exterior temp.

... After correcting for a 110F day, the interior reached 150F. This was regardless of car color. Seems they all heat up to the same temp. Also didn't matter what direction the car was parked. The big thing about dark colors is that they heat up faster than the lighter cars. So if you are doing a lot of short, frequent trips the color makes a lot of difference. Otherwise, color makes little difference. Same thing with window tint.

...If you put a car cover on the car, it will drop the interior temp by 20F for the situation described above. That's a huge difference when crawling into the car at the end of a work day. That 20F difference allows the A/C to cool the car much quicker.

...Have you had your A/C system checked out lately?
I appreciate everyone's feedback.
Yes, it is exterior but it often shows 10 degrees hotter than outside when you turn the car on.
I'm thinking about tint although this black lexus recovers from the heat much better than my 96. I think the perforated seats help a lot. The car really does heat up fast when I go in a store or such.
Tints are much better than they used to be at heat rejection.
3m Crystalline has the following specs on their 70% film which is almost clear, letting 70% of light through:

68% Visible Light Transmitted
50% Total Solar Energy Rejected
59% On Angle†
97% Infrared Rejected††
38% Solar Heat Reduction
9% Visible Light Reflection Int.
9% Visible Light Reflection Ext.
99.9% UV Rejected
23% Glare Reduction

A cover isn't an option. I work at a power plant that has more than 500 vehicles and I'd guess 90% are pickups. I'm already driving the best car there and I'd be ridiculed off site if I had a cover.

My car only has 13,500 miles (5,000 miles since I got it in March) and the AC is like new. Quite a few sites say that tint also reduces the AC load significantly.

I'm going to price some tints.
Now to figure out what's best and how dark.

Last edited by hoonunya; 06-09-09 at 03:36 PM.
Old 06-09-09, 04:57 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Default rim swap?

Originally Posted by jeffreyma
thanks for all the love everyone, yeah but i liek the factory 18's also but it's all good, time to save up some money for new shoes.
I've heard about that Wife Swap show on TV----maybe you and DNC should do a RIM SWAP?? See post #4.
Old 06-09-09, 06:47 PM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

I appreciate everyone's feedback.
Yes, it is exterior but it often shows 10 degrees hotter than outside when you turn the car on.
I'm thinking about tint although this black lexus recovers from the heat much better than my 96. I think the perforated seats help a lot. The car really does heat up fast when I go in a store or such.
Tints are much better than they used to be at heat rejection.
3m Crystalline has the following specs on their 70% film which is almost clear, letting 70% of light through:

68% Visible Light Transmitted
50% Total Solar Energy Rejected
59% On Angle†
97% Infrared Rejected††
38% Solar Heat Reduction
9% Visible Light Reflection Int.
9% Visible Light Reflection Ext.
99.9% UV Rejected
23% Glare Reduction

A cover isn't an option. I work at a power plant that has more than 500 vehicles and I'd guess 90% are pickups. I'm already driving the best car there and I'd be ridiculed off site if I had a cover.

My car only has 13,500 miles (5,000 miles since I got it in March) and the AC is like new. Quite a few sites say that tint also reduces the AC load significantly.

I'm going to price some tints.
Now to figure out what's best and how dark.
I drove my Flint Mica for about 3 weeks before I had a chance to tint it. In the sun with the AC on low you could faintly feel the heat around your head -- wasn't even thinking about it, but after having been in the Parchment with tan interior for 3 years, I just noticed it. My wife noticed it too without me saying anything. I assume this was a combination of the lack of tint and because the Flint Mica roof got hotter than the Parchment, but I never really investigated it or anything -- just noticed it and also noticed that I had to run the AC harder to keep the interior temp the same as on the Parchment.

I added 35% Llumar tint to the Flint Mica windows (not on the windshield) and it is noticeably easier and quicker for the AC to cool it down, and you don't feel the upper cabin heat around your head even with the AC on low. I used to never tint windows, but after the first one I always do it now. This is about the 10th car I've had tinted, and I am a very firm believer in the heat rejection as it's been very noticeable here in FL on each and every car.

Be sure to report back if you get the tint. I am confident that you'll like it.
Old 06-10-09, 04:29 AM
hoonunya
Pit Crew

...I added 35% Llumar tint to the Flint Mica windows...
Which model of Llumar did you get? Is that the traditional non-metal? I read some good stuff on Llumar Axcess.
http://www.llumar.com/pdf/en/LLumarAutoSpecsUS.pdf
I'm thinking at this point that I don't want to go darker than 50%.
I haven't called anyone yet but I have a feeling that 3m Crystalline pricing will be out the roof since there are limited local sources and it's fairly new.
Old 06-10-09, 11:09 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

It's just the traditional-looking one -- I didn't want it to draw attention to the fact that it's tinted by using a metal film or mirror or anything. My tinter is a long-time friend and has been in the business for about 20 years, so I just told him what I wanted (% and overall look) and trusted him with what brand to use. I'm not sure which model Llumar it is. I have 3M traditional tint on my Supra and I like it fine as well. I think one of the most important parts is to get a great installer.
Old 06-10-09, 01:04 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

jeffreyma,

The car looks flawless, and most importantly, it sit level!

Congradulations!!

Where in CA are you?

Quick Reply: new owner ls430 ul black/black