LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Cheating and Remorse

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-09, 02:33 AM
BLACKASH
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheating and Remorse

Most of us know the extreme driving pleasure we get from these cars but occassionaly there might be a tendency to stray. Kinda like being married and going into a strip club...sounds like a good idea at first but then when you get a good close look at that pole dancer, you realize you're in some low rent territory. Anyway, here's my story.
I was looking through the autotrader ads to see what the market is for LS
430's when I decided to compare prices with BMW's. I happened on an ad from a dealer who claimed he had a loaded five series that was the last 09 on his lot and he was entertaining any and all offers to get it gone. It was black (My favorite color) and was a manual 6spd. Interior was cream...not tan...cream. Pictures looked great and the dealer was about 100 miles away.
Called the dealer and talked to a salesman who said, yes you'll be surprised to hear what we'll take for this loaded car. Jumped in my 430 and away I went. On the drive, my anticipation was high. Hmmm, Black with cream...Navi, heated steering wheel etc...and 6spd manual Could I actually enjoy a stick again? Recapture my youth when I would bang through the gears like a bat out of hell?
Not so fast my eager friend.
I pulled up to the BMW store and the car was nowhere in sight. I went in and asked for the salesman who informed me the car was "In the back."
Followed him to the car which to my chagrin was not the glorious deep black of my 430 but a metallic almost grayish color that frankly was not that impressive. Add to that the fact it looked like it hadn't been washed since it left Germany and my excitement waned further. Jumped in and fired it up and quickly noticed that the clutch pedal engaged really high...kind of like driving a truck.
Put my foot into it and realized that the little 528 powerplant had nowhere near the kick in the *** my 430 provides. The seats were hard and nowhere near as comfortable. The stereo was so-so. I headed back to the store and pulled it in beside my glistening 430 and went inside to the salesman's cubicle.
He went to the managers office to get me a price and I sat there looking through the window at the grilles of the two cars side by side. The BMW had a kind of weasly looking face while my 430 had a big bright shining smile of a grille that seemed to be looking at me and saying..."You really think this piece of **** next to me will make you happier than I can?" It was true, the BMW looked like something my 430 might have blown out of its nose. As the guilt and discomfort of what I was doing washed over me, the salesman came back with an offer of $10,000 back of sticker. Whoa! But I looked at him and at my car and said..."You know, that's a great price and I appreciate your time, but I just don't think that car is for me."
He looked a bit astonished as I walked out the door. But as I settled into my
quiet, ridiculously comfortable interior and eased my baby back onto the highway I realized how close I had come to making a very foolish mistake. Turned up the stereo, relaxed and headed for home. I may have cheated...but I pulled back from the brink just in time. A lesson learned.

Last edited by BLACKASH; 06-08-09 at 02:36 AM.
Old 06-08-09, 04:02 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Good story. However, once you start looking, it won't stop...be careful....
Old 06-08-09, 06:01 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Infidel. Your LS should have made you walk home.

For me, after having driven the flagship cars from Auid, BMW, MB, of course Lexus, there is only one car that is a threat to the LS -- '07+ S550 with the sport package (must have the sport package or else it feels like granny's 98 Oldsmobile on the road and is not a desirable car, IMO). I test drove several and almost bought one but in the end decided that they're simply not worth the extra $ vs. the LS430, but if it were priced a lot closer, I'd be very tempted. My wife also loves them, which provides some motivation too, but in many ways they are the most impressive luxury car I've driven and I admire them a lot. The reliability question is certainly never far from one's mind with MB, but I might be willing to take my chances with the new S (so long as it has a warranty LOL ).
Old 06-08-09, 07:26 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Nice read but sounds like you may have the bug.
Old 06-08-09, 08:01 AM
BLACKASH
Driver School Candidate

Default Avatar

Originally Posted by I6turbo

For me, after having driven the flagship cars from Auid, BMW, MB, of course Lexus, there is only one car that is a threat to the LS -- '07+ S550 with the sport package (must have the sport package or else it feels like granny's 98 Oldsmobile on the road and is not a desirable car, IMO). I test drove several and almost bought one but in the end decided that they're simply not worth the extra $ vs. the LS430, but if it were priced a lot closer, I'd be very tempted. My wife also loves them, which provides some motivation too, but in many ways they are the most impressive luxury car I've driven and I admire them a lot. The reliability question is certainly never far from one's mind with MB, but I might be willing to take my chances with the new S (so long as it has a warranty LOL ).
Love the avatar
Old 06-08-09, 12:35 PM
DanozLS430
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice story. My car has always been nice to me. I don't feel like looking at other cars.

DanozLS430...
Old 06-08-09, 12:53 PM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

I probably go test-drive 10 or 15 vehicles per year, and rent another 20 or so while traveling. I like to know what other cars are actually like (magazine reviews nowadays aren't reliable at all, IME), plus when you keep up with what's out you are more likely to get the best car for you when you do decide to get something else.
Old 06-08-09, 01:18 PM
So Philly1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hilarious.....almost blew snot out my nose!!!

But that was a great story tho.
Old 06-08-09, 02:01 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

For some reason, the new bmw's besides the 335 coupe, don't really get to me like the old ones do, but that deal they were offering you sounded sick. Another thing, off topic but how come the 40k 2009 bmw 325 doesn't have speakers in the doors and somewhat lousy build quality when an economy car does and doesn't?
Old 06-08-09, 02:51 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 528 to a 430?

Originally Posted by BLACKASH
... Put my foot into it and realized that the little 528 powerplant had nowhere near the kick in the *** my 430 provides. The seats were hard and nowhere near as comfortable. The stereo was so-so. I headed back to the store and pulled it in beside my glistening 430 and went inside to the salesman's cubicle...
Wait a second, isn't the 528 a 6-cylinder? I don't care how good a 6 is, even for BMW, it ain't beating an 8. If you test drove a 550i instead witht he stick, then I'm sure you would have kicked the LS430 aside POSSIBLY... only because you were looking during your moment of temptation.

For me.. I'm loyal to my LS430 until the day it dies... which hopefully is not for a good 15 more years.
Old 06-08-09, 03:30 PM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
Wait a second, isn't the 528 a 6-cylinder? I don't care how good a 6 is, even for BMW, it ain't beating an 8.
Unless the 6 is turbocharged.
Old 06-08-09, 03:44 PM
Budhah
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Unless the 6 is turbocharged.
or the 8 is in reverse
Old 06-08-09, 04:23 PM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Or the 6 is just lighter, more powerful, and faster, as in the case of IS350 or GS350 or 535is vs. the LS430.
Old 06-08-09, 04:30 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Beat...

Or the 6 is just lighter, more powerful, and faster, as in the case of IS350 or GS350 or 535is vs. the LS430.
Beat in this scenario is relative term... I don't think the IS350 is faster than an '04-'06 LS. Also, the GS350 is maybe .5s faster. As for turbo'ing a 6, still ain't an 8. JMHO.
Old 06-08-09, 05:34 PM
bigcory
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BLACKASH
the BMW looked like something my 430 might have blown out of its nose
pretty funny! I like the 5's. I think they look nice. More on the sporty side than the previous body. I like the more refined look of the older body and the LS. Just like i'm not a big fan of the new LS. I think it looks less classy. I think BMW/LEX/MERC's are all trying a bit to hard to reach a younger audience. Good business, bad looking cars.

Quick Reply: Cheating and Remorse