LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Hello Everyone!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-09, 07:57 AM
Tee

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by El Toro
Yep, very small world. After moving down from Michigan in 1985 I went to Dunwoody High School. My parents still live in Dunwoody. I am about 20 minutes away in Woodstock, so I am over in "The Woody" often. My rental property is in the area of the Water's Edge community/Stephenson High School area.
World keeps shrinking, my in-laws live in Water's Edge LOL! I moved down here in 1985 too but from Brooklyn NY I went to B.E. Mays High School. The Woddy ha ha it's been a while since i heard that one.
Old 06-10-09, 08:00 AM
intermec
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I think I am getting there too.
My wife is driving a Sienna with two boys (7 months & 5 yrs old). Is about time for me to look for my ride. I am interested on the LS as well but haven't settle with years yet. I am still in the process of saving money. Of course I want a 04+ but 01-03 still work. Just wait and see how much I will have by the time I am ready.

Anyway, I know I will have car seat on the rear as well so UL is probably not necessary. How old is your daughter? With the car seat, is it easy to get in and out? I mean for her? Can you move the front seat? I am 5'9", not as tall as you guys so I think it should have enough room?
Old 06-10-09, 08:06 AM
El Toro
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tee
World keeps shrinking, my in-laws live in Water's Edge LOL! I moved down here in 1985 too but from Brooklyn NY I went to B.E. Mays High School. The Woddy ha ha it's been a while since i heard that one.
Too funny! My wife is from Brooklyn and my mother is from Jersey. When I was at DHS we used to beat up on Mays, Douglass, Harper, and Therrell. They could not figure out how this suburban school could put the hammer down like that, ha-ha! I was cool with people at all of those schools and it was fun back in the good old days! I think your go to guy at Mays was Patrick Sheppard. He was pretty good.....just not as good as me, ha-ha! The only team that really put us in our place was Washington and they had a 7-foot kid that played at both Georgia and UNLV. He also played in the NBA for several years, Elmore Spencer was his name. Small world indeed.

Last edited by El Toro; 06-11-09 at 12:35 PM.
Old 06-10-09, 08:13 AM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Tee
HA ha no disrepect on the sir, hell I will be 38 in two months so right behind ya.
I am right in between you two. Hope to see you two in person on Saturday.
Old 06-10-09, 08:19 AM
El Toro
Rookie

Originally Posted by intermec
I think I am getting there too.
My wife is driving a Sienna with two boys (7 months & 5 yrs old). Is about time for me to look for my ride. I am interested on the LS as well but haven't settle with years yet. I am still in the process of saving money. Of course I want a 04+ but 01-03 still work. Just wait and see how much I will have by the time I am ready.

Anyway, I know I will have car seat on the rear as well so UL is probably not necessary. How old is your daughter? With the car seat, is it easy to get in and out? I mean for her? Can you move the front seat? I am 5'9", not as tall as you guys so I think it should have enough room?
My daughter just turned two. As far as the back seat is concerned, you will love it! Both of the front seats in my car stay all the way back and I can fit behind them in the back seat. Not to say that I would want to be back there on a drive from Atlanta to Mexico, but I would be fine for an hour or so.

The most impressive thing is the actual length of the back seat, meaning the amount of room available on each side of the installed car seat. That was important based on the room the car seat takes up. At 5 feet 5 inches to 6 feet 2 inches, most passengers are fine back there.

As far as access for my daughter, it is easy! No need to move the front seats one bit to get her out and I do not have to bend down as far to get her. It was awful getting her in and out of my GS.

With all of that being said, at your height you will be more than fine. When I ride in the back of my mother's 06 LS 430 I feel like I am in a limo because at 5 feet 5 inches she has no need to have the seat back like I do.
Old 06-10-09, 08:24 AM
El Toro
Rookie

Originally Posted by BMW7_LS430
I am right in between you two. Hope to see you two in person on Saturday.
What am I, the old man of the group? Ha-ha, I look forward to it!
Old 06-10-09, 10:00 AM
duncan73
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Welcome

Welcome to the forum and looking forward to any future mod updates. Good Luck!
Old 06-10-09, 11:38 AM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Thanks! I just hope I did not bore anyone to death, ha-ha!
Welcome aboard Your LS looks good, nice and subtle but noticeable

NOt all. This is why I love CL for the maturity, civility, and friendly atmosphere.

We have a GATO and now a TORO

1 question and a concern: shouldn't your portable nav be higher?
Old 06-10-09, 11:52 AM
El Toro
Rookie

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Welcome aboard Your LS looks good, nice and subtle but noticeable

NOt all. This is why I love CL for the maturity, civility, and friendly atmosphere.

We have a GATO and now a TORO

1 question and a concern: shouldn't your portable nav be higher?
Thanks for the welcome! This is a great place to be for certain. As far as the portable nav, interesting (maybe) story on that. I used to keep the suction cup on the window at all times and just take the nav out, but I read an article that said people will break in the car if they see the mount or even the circular residue when you take it off. I would be angry if they broke in the car regardless of whether the nav was hidden inside somewhere or not.

At that point I decided to go with a different mount that was not as easy to recognize. Based on the mount it could only go one place and that was it. It is simply industrial strength velcro in the form of a circle mounted on that area and the back of the nav. It looks integrated and the only issue is that you can't use a couple of things in that general area when the nav is attached. Other than that I love it.

In terms of placement, I really do not look at it as much as I listen to it, but a quick glance every so often has been fine. Not much differnt from glancing left or right at it quickly if you think about it. No matter where it is, you still are looking at it and not the road. I really like how it looks and how clean it appears. When the nav is out you simply see a black circle there.

Last edited by El Toro; 06-10-09 at 01:17 PM.
Old 06-10-09, 08:23 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

What is that thing in front of the sunroof? (Center of this photograph)

Old 06-11-09, 04:25 AM
Tee

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

Sat radio antenna.
Old 06-11-09, 12:24 PM
El Toro
Rookie

Originally Posted by Tee
Sat radio antenna.
Yep, not a bad install from Best Buy. When I took the VAIS set-up to Lexus they would not install it unless I bought it from them. They also would not let me buy the kit from them without installing it there. Grand total at Lexus you ask? $800 I ordered the VAIS kit off of Ebay and then had Best Buy install it. It may have run me $300 - $400 total.
Old 04-13-11, 08:40 AM
Muti007
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Toro. can I ask what width and offset your wheels are and if you had any fitment issues with the brakes? Im considering getting your wheels based on your gorgeous car.
Old 04-13-11, 10:05 AM
El Toro
Rookie

Muti007,

Thanks for the compliment! The wheels are 20x8.5 with a +40mm offset. I had to do spacers in the front due to the huge brake calipers. I am not sure of the exact size of the spacers. Not major fit issues, but since the front wheels are spaced out just a bit, I can catch a minor rub on the tip of the fender...even after having the fenders rolled.

After spending time with the car and understanding the setup, it is very rare that it happens. If I had to do it over, I would get a wheel that clears the brakes minus the need for spacers.

I am more than impressed with the TSW wheels by the way. I have hit some serious potholes and have never had an issue...they are tough!!!
Old 04-13-11, 10:10 AM
Muti007
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Muti007,

Thanks for the compliment! The wheels are 20x8.5 with a +40mm offset. I had to do spacers in the front due to the huge brake calipers. I am not sure of the exact size of the spacers. Not major fit issues, but since the front wheels are spaced out just a bit, I can catch a minor rub on the tip of the fender...even after having the fenders rolled.

After spending time with the car and understanding the setup, it is very rare that it happens. If I had to do it over, I would get a wheel that clears the brakes minus the need for spacers.

I am more than impressed with the TSW wheels by the way. I have hit some serious potholes and have never had an issue...they are tough!!!

Thanks man. Darn, I was hoping you didnt have to use spacers. Your fenders are rolled too. Discount Tire thought theyd bolt up with no issues, but they also thought that with my last set of wheels and I had to ship them back due to the calipers. Crap, looks like I may be screwed again

Quick Reply: Hello Everyone!