Hello Everyone!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-09, 11:12 AM
El Toro
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hello Everyone!

Hello everyone!

I am new to the board, but have lurked for years on end around here. It has been on this very forum that I have found some of the greatest ideas to use on my own cars. After completing the work on my most recent Lexus, I have decided to join the club!

As a new member, I will share some of my automotive history with you. My first car was a used 1985 Toyota Corolla, which I received in the 12th grade as a reward for receiving a college basketball scholarship. That car was fantastic and surprisingly roomy for someone my height (6 feet 6 inches). When I finally landed my first “real” job, I decided to purchase a new 1995 Toyota Camry. I still remember it to this day! It was black with tan cloth interior. How I dreamed of owning that car for years and it was finally mine! Not long after that purchase I tried my hand at my first ever mods, if that is what they could be called. I remember tinting the windows and adding 16-inch (yes, you read that correctly) chrome wheels and tires. Looking at that car is like looking at some of the clothes I wore during those days….quite funny.

I eventually took a job in North Carolina to gain some interesting experience in my profession, but the salary was so low that I could not continue paying for the car. Lucky for me, my father was looking for a new car and wanted to get rid of his 1990 Camry. He gave me his car and took mine. I remember that the first thing he did was get rid of those wheels, ha-ha! That car was kept stock until I traded it in. After years of working and dreaming of owning a luxury car, I began doing my research ….. much of it on this site. I had always dreamed of owning a Lexus, especially after my awesome Toyota experiences. I remember like it was yesterday seeing cars like the GS 300, SC 300/400, and even the LS 400 cruising down the street and wishing they were mine.

When the time came to make a move, I purchased a used 2000 GS 300 in 2003. I kept the car until this year. This was when I dreamed of getting at least a fraction more serious with my mods. My brother was always big on cars and at the time owned a Subaru WRX STI that was modded and raced at the track periodically. He got me started with my new car. Looking back, it was an improvement over the mods I had on my Camry (not very hard, ha-ha), but not perfect. It was Cinnabar Pearl and the mods were as follows: tinted windows, custom install XM radio, K&N filter, Borla exhaust, Tein lowering springs, 18 – inch wheels and tires.

As we all know, life catches up to you eventually. As I have aged and matured (I am 40 years old), I have taken on new responsibilities. The most important responsibility was the birth of my daughter. While my wife drives a RX 330 that works great as a family vehicle, the GS 300 was too small in the back seat. With that in mind it was time for something with much more room. I looked at the new Infiniti M45, a 2005 BMW 530, and the ES 350. My mother drives an LS 430 and my father drives an ES 350, and it was great to use their cars as a starting point. The M 45 was great, but I hated the exhaust options (I know, picky me!). The BMW was great, but I was worried about buying it used and I was not a fan of i-Drive. The ES was also fantastic, but for less I could own…… a 2005 Lexus LS 430!!!!!

The car had to grow on me, and it did. My wife is 6 feet 1 inch and we like our room/comfort, so this car ended up being a great choice. With that out of the way, I was faced with the next dilemma. Based on my age and profession, how do I mod this thing without looking silly? I wanted a factory look for sure, but I wanted it to be nice! I wanted to learn from my past mistakes and create something I am proud of. I also had been a wimp when it came to wheel size in the past, so I wanted to go big this time around. My goal was based on cars such as the S430, A8, and BMW 745 in terms of a clean look that can be spiced up with factory options. Well, the mods are done now and I think that I did quite well for myself. Here is the list: Aftermarket floor mats, integrated VAIS XM install, baby seat (ha-ha!), Garmin navigation, tinted windows, Tanabe NF 210 springs, 20-inch TSW Vortex wheels, Toyo tires, and Flowmaster exhaust tips ( thanks for the idea Tee, I have seen you out and about at least twice now and your car is nice!). I hope that you all like the work that I have done with regards to the look I was hoping to accomplish. This has been a great forum and I am glad I finally joined. While I may not ever be the guy with the most posts around here, I will jump in as I can when I get up to speed. Thanks for having me around!

El Toro
Attached Thumbnails Hello Everyone!-1.jpg   Hello Everyone!-2.jpg   Hello Everyone!-3.jpg   Hello Everyone!-4.jpg   Hello Everyone!-5.jpg  

Old 06-09-09, 12:01 PM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Nice! And Welcome.
Old 06-09-09, 12:28 PM
junjdm
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the LS forum.....
Old 06-09-09, 12:33 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Congratulations! Hope to see you and your car sometime in a Lexus meet.
Old 06-09-09, 01:42 PM
So Philly1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome.....Nice rims....watch out for the modding bug.
Old 06-09-09, 02:06 PM
El Toro
Rookie

Default Thanks!

Thanks for the warm welcome! Here are a few more pics.

El Toro
Attached Thumbnails Hello Everyone!-img01141.jpg   Hello Everyone!-img01142.jpg   Hello Everyone!-img01143.jpg   Hello Everyone!-img01144.jpg  
Old 06-09-09, 04:19 PM
jeffreyma
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice looking ls430! welcome!
Old 06-09-09, 05:43 PM
Tee

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

Congrats on a sweet lookin LS and welcome to the forum!

Okay you have seen me twice?! Next time you see me blow the horn or something if you can. BTW thx for the kind words sir.

Finally we can get some more LS owners representing in Atlanta's SELOC, right now i'm the only LS430.
Old 06-09-09, 05:54 PM
El Toro
Rookie

Originally Posted by Tee
Congrats on a sweet lookin LS and welcome to the forum!

Okay you have seen me twice?! Next time you see me blow the horn or something if you can. BTW thx for the kind words sir.

Finally we can get some more LS owners representing in Atlanta's SELOC, right now i'm the only LS430.
Thanks Tee! I actually saw you once over in Dunwoody when I was still in my GS. You went by and I was shocked to see an LS in person done up so well all the way down to the exhaust. It made me think hmmmm, it CAN be done!

The second time I saw you was maybe two Sundays ago in the St. Mtn. / Lithonia area. I own a rental property out there and I saw you coming lights first. I would have flashed you, but I was in a loaner GS 350 and would not had much to talk about without my actual car.

By the way, no need to call me sir! Even though I will turn 40 in a few weeks (at this point I just say that I am 40), I am still feeling pretty young..ha-ha!
Old 06-09-09, 06:52 PM
Tee

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

HA ha no disrepect on the sir, hell I will be 38 in two months so right behind ya.

I work in the Dunwoody area and live in Lithonia near Stonecreast Mall, so yeah that was me man small world. Now I will be on the look out for your ride, which won't be hard b/c I have not seen any modded LS430's.
Old 06-09-09, 09:19 PM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very nice introduction and very nice LS! I wish all intros could be as articulate and interesting to read, but everyone has their own style of presenting themselves, I'm sure.
Old 06-09-09, 09:39 PM
AznRacer
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

welcome aboard and nice car
Old 06-10-09, 05:48 AM
TNGUYEN571
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice looking ls430!
Old 06-10-09, 07:14 AM
El Toro
Rookie

Originally Posted by Tee
HA ha no disrepect on the sir, hell I will be 38 in two months so right behind ya.

I work in the Dunwoody area and live in Lithonia near Stonecreast Mall, so yeah that was me man small world. Now I will be on the look out for your ride, which won't be hard b/c I have not seen any modded LS430's.
Yep, very small world. After moving down from Michigan in 1985 I went to Dunwoody High School. My parents still live in Dunwoody. I am about 20 minutes away in Woodstock, so I am over in "The Woody" often. My rental property is in the area of the Water's Edge community/Stephenson High School area.
Old 06-10-09, 07:16 AM
El Toro
Rookie

Originally Posted by Lexucan
Very nice introduction and very nice LS! I wish all intros could be as articulate and interesting to read, but everyone has their own style of presenting themselves, I'm sure.
Thanks! I just hope I did not bore anyone to death, ha-ha!

Quick Reply: Hello Everyone!