LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430
View Poll Results: how dark? (lower number is darker)
70%
6.67%
60%
3.33%
50%
6.67%
40%
3.33%
35%
40.00%
30%
40.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Help me pick the tint for my black 05

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-09, 05:09 PM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by hoonunya
I like the wheels.
Thanks! They don't suit most people for a car like the LS but I'm rebelling against the VIP look. Actually I've always liked the Volk TE37 wheel family and wanted something as light as possible to minimize the deterioriation in on-the-road comfort, quet, ride, and performance resulting from larger wheels. After looking around a lot I decided to go with these (LE37T's, which are really just TE37's with a machine finish lip). They're 19's but the wheel/tire combo weighs about 4 pounds each less than the stock 17's.
Old 06-11-09, 05:13 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

My tint is 35% all the way around, I wanted to go darker (20%) but GA past a new tint law and i did not want to deal with cops messing with me. Certain counties here are really **** when it comes to illegal tint

Sun out 2 weeks geting my LS after it was tinted

Dusk

Overcast day
Old 06-11-09, 05:27 PM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Tee, what film do you have?
Old 06-11-09, 06:31 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

I believe tint guy said it is Advantage window film also I forgot to add the 5% strip on the windshield.
Old 06-12-09, 06:47 AM
danxp
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
It's a "money money money" proposition when having tints all around on a car in NJ. Like you said, not legal on windshield or front sides, but on the rear sides and back glass, there is no limit as to how dark you want to go. The money part is, don't get pulled over, or if the cop wants to be a PITA, he can ticket you for the tint in front also. If you only have back, that is fine, it's legal.

The only way around to pass inspection is hope for a lenient inspector, which I have not found yet, at the NJ inspection station who will pass you, or go to a private inspector who would pass a donkey with one leg and dragging a wheel barrel as a "passed automobile." Or, for the NJ inspection, remove your front tint before inspection, then get it retinted after passing. Either way, it's running about $50/2 years out of pocket to have a nice tint look.
in your experience how often do you get pulled over for having tint? i'm in the bergen county area and i look around and see very very few cars with any tint at all, so i'd be sticking out like a sore thumb... i don't wanna give them a reason to pull me over, but i just love the look of the tint...
Old 06-16-09, 03:41 PM
hoonunya
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

35% is way out in front. I've been looking at pictures and the leader now is Formula One Pinnacle with 35% VLT, 50% heat rejection.
Old 06-16-09, 05:45 PM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Be sure you find a very good tinter to apply it. It'd be a shame to have any air bubbles in the tint on a car like yours. Also, Lexus uses very thick rear window defoggers, so the right film and a good tinter is critical to making the film follow the contour as well as possible without having overly large air gaps around the defogger.
Old 06-16-09, 06:21 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default I tint.. I flint...

Originally Posted by danxp
in your experience how often do you get pulled over for having tint? i'm in the bergen county area and i look around and see very very few cars with any tint at all, so i'd be sticking out like a sore thumb... i don't wanna give them a reason to pull me over, but i just love the look of the tint...
In my experience, which is about six months now with 20%R/50%F, I have not been pulled over yet for tint (knock on wood)... but then again, I don't run up to Bergen much.

I'm not sure, but I don't believe tint is a primary offense, it's a secondary offense in NJ. Meaning, you can't drive properly and everything, but just get pulled for tint. You can get pulled for speeding, then get a ticket for tint on top of that. Therefore, don't speed with illegal tint.

You can tint the back (including side) to solid black if you want and it's all fine, no tickets for that. It's when you tint the windshield and front sides, that's where trouble begins. That's why I only went with 50% on front, but with black interior, it makes the tint look much darker than it is.
Old 06-16-09, 07:14 PM
hoonunya
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by I6turbo
Be sure you find a very good tinter to apply it. It'd be a shame to have any air bubbles in the tint on a car like yours. Also, Lexus uses very thick rear window defoggers, so the right film and a good tinter is critical to making the film follow the contour as well as possible without having overly large air gaps around the defogger.
I've been following a website www.tintdude.com on different films and problems with installs. It has tons of info. The installer is a big part of the equation. The shop that I'm probably going to go with has been around for over 30 years.
Formula One is supposed to have about the best installers and satisfaction in the business. The Pinnacle film is almost 50% more than regular good films but has very high heat rejection and is non-conductive ceramic so it won't have problems with the gadgets.
Huper Optic ceramic has even better heat rejection but other people have had installation issues. When I called their shop I didn't get a good feeling with their doing the job to my satisfaction.
I've gotten into this so much that I'm thinking about doing both of my LS's, doing the LS400 first with the regular price film but same shop. About 35% on each.
Maybe next week.....
Old 06-17-09, 04:24 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i say something between 10-20% but obviously your choices didn't go that low.
Old 06-17-09, 06:37 AM
hoonunya
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by sojah
i say something between 10-20% but obviously your choices didn't go that low.
My night vision isn't that great and I wanted to keep it legal. I haven't had tint for probably 15 years so 35% is pretty radical for me.
Old 06-17-09, 08:55 AM
Boomer01
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I say the 30%. It is the darkest you can go without being illegal. I have 20% all around and 35% on the windshield and have no problems day or night, so you should be okay with 30 or 35%.

Also, any reputable tint shop will warranty their tint in case of bubbling or tearing.
Old 06-17-09, 11:36 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Boomer01
Also, any reputable tint shop will warranty their tint in case of bubbling or tearing.
True, but IME the difference between a good tinter and a great one is that the great one can make it look almost perfect, even to the very picky eye. I've seen a number of tints that didn't turn out badly enough to really justify *re-doing*, but when you look closely you see the *tiny* air pockets or other evidence of an install that's less than perfect. IMO, that's what separates the very best installers from the rest. And the **** owners from the more sane, less **** ones.
Old 06-17-09, 12:15 PM
Ay-nako
Stop the Copy!

Received 112 Likes on 52 Posts

i say 20% as well, thats what I have and its perfect!
Old 06-19-09, 07:36 PM
bigrobg757
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

35% on the doors and 20% on the back

Quick Reply: Poll: Help me pick the tint for my black 05