LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430
View Poll Results: how dark? (lower number is darker)
70%
6.67%
60%
3.33%
50%
6.67%
40%
3.33%
35%
40.00%
30%
40.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Help me pick the tint for my black 05

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-09, 01:18 AM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

washington metro area 35% legal, but I have 20% all around. Cops never gave me trouble except (with speeding)...
Old 06-26-09, 09:09 AM
hoonunya
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got my tint on Tuesday and I love it.
I think even a 35% tint changes the appearance of the car for the better.
I went with Formula One Pinnacle 35 which is a ceramic tint and has 50% heat rejection. Being a ceramic, it was expensive ($401 including tax) but I liked the specs for that film and the installer. The installer did a perfect job as far as I can tell.
The tint is legal and dark enough for me. Night visibilty is great.
We like it so much that I'm going to get Formula One Comfort 30 (non ceramic) for my wife's LS400. I should have done that a long time ago on that car.
My before pic is back on the first page of the thread.
Pics are from my cellpone but you'll get the idea.
Attached Thumbnails Poll: Help me pick the tint for my black 05-f1pinnacle35_1.jpg   Poll: Help me pick the tint for my black 05-f1pinnacle35_2.jpg  
Old 06-26-09, 09:25 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by hoonunya
I got my tint on Tuesday and I love it.
I think even a 35% tint changes the appearance of the car for the better.
I went with Formula One Pinnacle 35 which is a ceramic tint and has 50% heat rejection. Being a ceramic, it was expensive ($401 including tax) but I liked the specs for that film and the installer. The installer did a perfect job as far as I can tell.
The tint is legal and dark enough for me. Night visibilty is great.
We like it so much that I'm going to get Formula One Comfort 30 (non ceramic) for my wife's LS400. I should have done that a long time ago on that car.
My before pic is back on the first page of the thread.
Pics are from my cellpone but you'll get the idea.
Hmmmm... I seem to remember some genius writing something a few days ago when you were questioning whether or not tint was for you..... what did that smart guy say?....
Get something in the 35-40% and I'm betting you'll like both the look and the way it's so much more pleasant on your eyes when driving in the sunlight.
LOL J/K

Congratulations! Looks great!

Now you'll probably join the ranks of those of us who head straight to the tinter with every vehicle we purchase.
Old 06-26-09, 09:31 AM
hoonunya
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by I6turbo
Hmmmm... I seem to remember some genius writing something a few days ago when you were questioning whether or not tint was for you..... what did that smart guy say?....

LOL J/K

Congratulations! Looks great!

Now you'll probably join the ranks of those of us who head straight to the tinter with every vehicle we purchase.
Yep, your post with pics and Tee's made a lot of impact on my decision.
thanks
Old 06-27-09, 10:53 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Angry Angry as hell today!!!

Originally Posted by KILLERGS4
washington metro area 35% legal, but I have 20% all around. Cops never gave me trouble except (with speeding)...
let me take that back!

just got back from the beach w/ the family the other day driving on HOV during rush hour. everybody is driving slow. cop pulls me over, I opened my window and told the officer I have passengers in the back seat, so it's not HOV violation. I was very confident because NO WAY I was speeding. He looks in the back seat (little surprised) and then says I pulled you over for TINT. What BS! Cop never want to admit he was wrong, NEVER! Cop was parked in the shoulder looking for HOV violators and instead, he says he pulled me over for tint. I complained to him hard, but he had no response. He had not thing to say. Punk 20 yr old kid!!! Now I have to remove my tint and have them put back on again after inspection I don't want to HATE cops, but when I run into cops like him, I have no choice! I was only 3 miles from my home b-4 I got pulled over (after driving over 3 hours from the beach)...
Old 06-28-09, 05:11 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Month end...

let me take that back!

just got back from the beach w/ the family the other day driving on HOV during rush hour. everybody is driving slow. cop pulls me over, I opened my window and told the officer I have passengers in the back seat, so it's not HOV violation. I was very confident because NO WAY I was speeding. He looks in the back seat (little surprised) and then says I pulled you over for TINT. What BS! Cop never want to admit he was wrong, NEVER! Cop was parked in the shoulder looking for HOV violators and instead, he says he pulled me over for tint. I complained to him hard, but he had no response. He had not thing to say. Punk 20 yr old kid!!! Now I have to remove my tint and have them put back on again after inspection I don't want to HATE cops, but when I run into cops like him, I have no choice! I was only 3 miles from my home b-4 I got pulled over (after driving over 3 hours from the beach)...
That really stinks. I guess it was month-end quota time. Gotta make those funds to keep their salary running.
Old 06-28-09, 05:53 AM
Tee

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

hoonunya,

Tint looks real good!

KILLERGS4,

Hate that happen to you, and that is how the cops are in the ATL.
Old 06-28-09, 10:55 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. In a pefect world, common sense would prevail in our laws, but we are far from perfect. The law is also far from perfect and so each has to be careful. When it's quota time, you can be pulled over or written up for any obscure law that happens to be out there. I've been written for obstruction of plates, even when the covers I had were clear transparent and not hazzy whatsoever, but then I've seen plenty of people with plate covers tinted and all hazed over.

Oh well... it's all luck of the day.
Old 06-28-09, 04:44 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Default get a medical waiver!

I pulled you over for TINT. What BS! Now I have to remove my tint and have them put back on again after inspection

Why can't you get a doctor's note or note from an optomotrist or opthomologist???

I know different states have different regulations, but EVERYONE in Delaware that has tint passes inspection by getting a medical note stating they need tint because they have sun-sensitive eyes! Can you do that in MD?
Old 06-28-09, 08:09 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LS430inDE.

Why can't you get a doctor's note or note from an optomotrist or opthomologist???

I know different states have different regulations, but EVERYONE in Delaware that has tint passes inspection by getting a medical note stating they need tint because they have sun-sensitive eyes! Can you do that in MD?
dr. note means I need to know a doctor who will make this false note. I don't know any doctors of the sort. was hoping to find a shady state inspector who would just sign off on the ticket. I can get sign for state inspector or any MD police officer I think, and then mail the violation. Man I had 20% tint on every single one of my cars since I was 16... almost 20 yrs without getting pulled over for ONLY tint. this cop is a ***...
Old 06-30-09, 04:24 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

dr. note means I need to know a doctor who will make this false note. I don't know any doctors of the sort.
C'mon now---you really must want to peel that stuff off!?

You start by describing the ticket situation to your doctor, and before you get to the end the story, he'll give you the wink n nod...and you'll merely pay your $20 copay..lol. I mean, come on. It's not like you're asking for injections of Demerol!? It's a note suggesting your eyes are sensitive to the sun. Do you own sunglasses?---why? Did you get tint?---why?

If the doc doesn't catch on, you TELL the doctor to write you a note.

Is it only in Delaware that people do this??? (i don't have tint, so don't ask me..lol)

Last edited by LS430inDE.; 06-30-09 at 04:28 PM.
Old 06-30-09, 08:22 PM
debian
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ls430inde, your post made me laugh out loud...classic!

killergs, my fellow marylander, i feel only a little bit of sympathy for you. You did the crime and don't want to do the time. Don't hate on the policeman.

back to the subject at hand ...the tint you picked looks great...in the poll I am one of the two that thought 50% would be good.
I am thinking about getting a 50% tint but my car is silver with ecru interior and I sorta think the mirror may look better. So I look very closely at every lexus I see for ideas.
cheers,
ian
Old 06-30-09, 08:50 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by debian
You did the crime and don't want to do the time. Don't hate on the policeman.
n
what r u 5-0???
Old 06-30-09, 08:55 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

I must say this, as much as I dislike what happen to me recently, I found a cop car toilet papered in my neighborhood made me feel bad for the cop. This cop was home, and car was park out front. What if his kids came out and saw this. Cop has to explain to kids what happened, or not explain what really happen. Don't like to see these kind of stupid acts in my neighborhood. Sorry to get off topic, but tint looks nice, as do all black tints