ML Amp Repair

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-09, 06:28 AM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default ML Amp Repair

All:

My ML Amp just bit the dust. Popping sounds and no FM audio. AM used to not work, now does. CD works as does Navi Audio. The fact that not all audio is gone makes me suspicious that it may not be the Amp, but there is overwhelming evidence that these Amps fail and fail often. I did not lose the ASL or Midrange adjustments many have lost.

Question: Has anyone gotten their Amp repaired? If so, do you know what component(s) was/were the culprit(s)? Also, any names and locations of shops that repair these Amps is appreciated. (very few if any used Amps seem to be on the market-plus, who knows how long a junkyard amp will last since they fail to often)

Finally, anyone torn one of these amps down to diagnose it? Given the intermittent nature of the failure, a techno buddy and I highly suspect an easy fix such as a capacitor. Electrolytes are known to fail early in high heat situations.
Old 06-18-09, 07:17 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what about just buying an aftermarket 5 channel amp??
Old 06-18-09, 07:25 AM
Nauticalx
Instructor

I looked into that briefly and seem to recall that it isn't possible since the system has a communications bus between all the components; or at least, that's what one thread mentioned. Is this not the case? I would completely be interested in putting in an aftermarket amp if I can and still maintain all navi functionality.
Old 06-18-09, 01:46 PM
Nauticalx
Instructor

$350? In that case I better make darn sure it's the amp. Can anyone verify that the amp can still cause some audio (AM, and CD) to work while making FM not work?
Old 06-18-09, 03:17 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

call a competent car audio shop and ask them about the possibility of switching out the stock ml amp for an aftermarket. if needed i'm sure there is some sort of signal processor piece that would allow an aftermarket amp to work just fine.
Old 06-18-09, 03:26 PM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Yeah, I played around with the ASL and all. There's definitely something wrong since there are popping noises. It is an 02 UL. Mind you, the AM used to not work and the popping can be heard during CD play as well.

Currently, AM works as does CD which never stopped working. I just pulled up my repair manual and there appear to be three major components:

CD and Player
Stereo Component Tuner
Stereo Component Amplifier

The FM problem and AM going out and now working points to the tuner. But the popping noises, heard during CD play as well, indicates otherwise.
Old 06-18-09, 04:48 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

maybe... i'd still check with a high end stereo shop though myself. cuz on a slightly non related tip i had an old co-worker who had an 06 bmw with the fancy idrive thing and they told him the same thing about nothing working properly, well he was finally able to find a high end shop to replace the amp + all the speakers (he wanted the speakers replaced as well) and still allowing the whole nav + ac controls + all the other car controls to continue to work. maybe its not possible in our cars but i would still check around if i was going through your situation.
Old 06-21-09, 09:07 AM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Well guys...looks like its the tuner! My mom spilled pine sol (almost the whole bottle) in the trunk when she failed to make sure the top was on correctly. It leaked into that little compartment housing components on the right side of the trunk and got into the tuner assembly. I took it out and cleaned it and it still doesnt work. Looks like a new tuner is in order!

Lesson to others-be careful with liquids in the trunk! Those components are literally right below items placed in there.