LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Installing a Sub with ML sterio

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-09, 01:48 PM
bigcory
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing a Sub with ML sterio

So what is the best way to add a single 12" sub to the exisiting ML stereo, with out affecting the rest of the system or navigation.
Old 06-24-09, 04:47 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

remove the factory sub, get a signal splitter called something like a rf or something but a stereo shop will know what it is, they are like 20 bucks and hook up to the ml amp and it is just a wire on one end to rca plugs on the other which an aftermarket amp would plug into and then just pretty much install like normal. you need 1 sub, 1 box, 1 aftermarket sub amp, amp wiring kit, and the rf splitter thing, oh yeah plus remove stock sub, and install new shiz like normal.

i have 1 jl12w6 plus box plus 500.1 jl amp and although it is a very clean install i am not as nearly as pleased with sound quality in my ls430 as i was when it was in my gs400, i would go with a different brand next time for sure.
Old 06-24-09, 06:13 AM
Boomer01
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did pretty much the same as sojah. The audio shop used a line-out converter to tie the aftermarket amp into the factory one and put the sub/box/amp in the trunk. They removed the factory sub to act as a port to the inside of the car. I was worried about the amount of sound that would travel through to the inside because the cabs are so tightly sealed, but it sounds really good.
Old 06-24-09, 08:01 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

mine sounds like ***, especially in the back seat cuz of the tightly sealed trunk plus UL doesn't have a trunk to cabin pass through, even with the removal of the stock sub. as a previous audio freak i have had to definitely lower my expectations for this budget bass build that used to sound good in my previous gs400.. grrrr....
Old 06-24-09, 07:35 PM
Swagga82
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Boomer01
I did pretty much the same as sojah. The audio shop used a line-out converter to tie the aftermarket amp into the factory one and put the sub/box/amp in the trunk. They removed the factory sub to act as a port to the inside of the car. I was worried about the amount of sound that would travel through to the inside because the cabs are so tightly sealed, but it sounds really good.
What's up just wondering after removing the stock subwoofer did u hear a big difference in bass and what is the best way to move the stock subwoofer.....also trunk rattles liike crazy!
Old 06-25-09, 05:08 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

dynamat the trunk (trunk lid underneath the carpet, and sides of trunk underneath the carpet) if you want to solve the rattle issue, and as long as you don't have a UL you will get some air movement from the trunk to the cabin after removing the sub.
Old 06-25-09, 06:01 AM
Boomer01
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Swagga82
What's up just wondering after removing the stock subwoofer did u hear a big difference in bass and what is the best way to move the stock subwoofer.....also trunk rattles liike crazy!
I didn't hear it with the ML sub still in because they removed it when they installed the new sub. They tinkered around with placement of the sub and found that it against the back of the trunk facing the back of the car sounded best. I really don't have much rattles but if you do, you should dynamat it.
Old 06-25-09, 09:46 AM
LSDoc
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Blown door speaker?

I believe that I have a door speaker blown in my 2001 LS. Anybody have any idea what it takes ($$$, procedure, etc.) to get that fixed? Has anyone tried the DIY route or gone to an audio shop vs. Dealer?
Old 06-25-09, 09:56 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

audio shop would be the quickest and easiest way. i can't see it costing more than $100 total parts and labor, should be a little less maybe.

call the dealership and ask them how much they would charge, i bet its more than $100.
Old 06-25-09, 10:18 AM
bigcory
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LSDoc
I believe that I have a door speaker blown in my 2001 LS. Anybody have any idea what it takes ($$$, procedure, etc.) to get that fixed? Has anyone tried the DIY route or gone to an audio shop vs. Dealer?
Check to see if it's the wood trim piece that surrounds the windows switches. My passenger door sounded like it had a blown speaker but it turned out to be that. I havn't addressed it yet, but might take a look today actually.
Old 06-25-09, 08:03 PM
LSDoc
Pit Crew

I checked the trim-it seemed OK. Called a local audio shop and they said they would have to replace more than just the one speaker (all four doors), because of the way the stereo amp, etc. is programmed to the speakers. They said it would be around $200. That sounds OK if the sound is just as good. I have a Levenson system; I don't want to compromise the quality, but I don't want to pay dealer charges, either.
Old 06-26-09, 05:36 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

if you replace all 4 of ur stock ml ones make sure you get something that will actually sound decent when and if you replace them. not a big power draining speaker (so it won't drain to much from the stock ml amp) but something that will sound crisp and clear and be somewhat comparable. a knowledgeable stereo shop should be able to guide you in the right direction, but ask at least 2 different shops so you can see if they are saying basically the same thing and not just trying to sell you 4 of their house brand overstocked speakers...
Old 06-27-09, 05:52 AM
LEX012006
Driver

LSDoc, I had blown the left front door speaker and inquired the cost to replace (its a ML) my guy at the dealer told me to try another speaker (purely for cost reasons). I install 2 infinity kappa's on just the front doors and the sound is incredible. Going to pick up 2 more for the rear doors. Have not changed the factory sub, but since the kappa's compliment the factory sub so well, I might just leave it alone. Stereo shop just looking to get "more" of your money. The installation took about an hour for each door ( I decided to solder the speaker wire connection instead of twisting & tape). The door panels come off in about 5 minutes. Real easy to replace.
Old 06-27-09, 06:55 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

thanks for the tip i will remember this if i ever have to replace any.
Old 06-29-09, 03:34 AM
LSDoc
Pit Crew

Thumbs up Blown door speaker?

Thanks, LEX012006!! Very encouraging info! Did you do that on your 01 LS? If so, could you point me in the direction to understand how a guy like me that is reluctant to mess with coach/interior issues could even think about DIY? It sounds like a snap...

Quick Reply: Installing a Sub with ML sterio