LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Test drove my first ultra luxury ls430 today

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-09, 11:57 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 254 Likes on 201 Posts

I would expect real world accelleration to be substantially slower than manufacturers' figures. It almost always is and sometimes by as much as a second or two. My guess is that the LS430 0-60 mph times supplied by Lexus were obtained in bare bones stock LS430s and not in UL's with their substantially higher weight. I also suspect that those "prototypes" used by Lexus were just about empty of fuel, were tested in optimal weather conditions, on a pavement type that would allow for maximum accelleration and driven by fairly light weight drivers -- certainly not by anyone in the "Sumo class" -- and with no passengers. And it is also likely that the Lexus test drivers used techniques that almost no one would use in the real world -- unless there are real world LS drivers who like to run through transmissions on a frequent basis.

Heck, my 2000 LS400 got a noticeable boost in performance on Tuesday when we dropped off my visiting 6'5", 300 pound, brother-in-law "FrankenDoug" and his luggage at the airport. Power-to-weight ratio is the biggest factor when it comes to accelleration.
Old 06-25-09, 01:21 PM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When I bought my UL I was also looking at the V12 7 Series. I decided I wanted a less complicated life and went with the UL. Living in a country without an Audubon I figure I will spend little time driving over 80 mph so I had to ask myself why did I need a V12? I am buying a new car for my family now and have put more effort into looking at safety rather than performance since there are more opportunities for accidents than opportunities for safely cruising at high speeds due to our inferior roads here in the US.
Old 06-25-09, 03:35 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Lexus more conservative

Originally Posted by Kansas
I would expect real world accelleration to be substantially slower than manufacturers' figures. It almost always is and sometimes by as much as a second or two. My guess is that the LS430 0-60 mph times supplied by Lexus were obtained in bare bones stock LS430s and not in UL's with their substantially higher weight. I also suspect that those "prototypes" used by Lexus were just about empty of fuel, were tested in optimal weather conditions, on a pavement type that would allow for maximum accelleration and driven by fairly light weight drivers -- certainly not by anyone in the "Sumo class" -- and with no passengers. And it is also likely that the Lexus test drivers used techniques that almost no one would use in the real world -- unless there are real world LS drivers who like to run through transmissions on a frequent basis.

Heck, my 2000 LS400 got a noticeable boost in performance on Tuesday when we dropped off my visiting 6'5", 300 pound, brother-in-law "FrankenDoug" and his luggage at the airport. Power-to-weight ratio is the biggest factor when it comes to accelleration.
I would think that Lexus is actually more conservative when it comes to advertised numbers. Take the ISF for example, it was just advertised leading up the reveal that it was under 5 seconds... when it came out, it was listed as 4.9s and most magazines got it to do 4.6s or so. I find Lexus not to be the over estimater and quote numbers too low and then end up getting bashed by magazines.

As for Luca in the back, yes, fully loaded any car is going to drive significantly different than an empty are with only driver.
Old 06-25-09, 03:38 PM
UGKkllr
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If anyone around the nova/dc area wants to lemme test drive their 04+ that would be great. That way when I do find one I like , I can at least have something to compare it to. And like I mentioned already, I dont expect a rocketship like my supra was, I just want throttle response which the 2001 UL had none of whatsoever. When I even touch the gas pedal on my gs400 it jumps. The ls on the other hand required me stomping on it hard to get the same result. And once it did respond even still it was slow. I wonder how much slower it would have been with a set of 20 inch wheels and a few passengers.
Old 06-25-09, 04:00 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you come out to the annapolis mini meet for the all you can eat crabs on july 11th (sat) i will let you drive mines.
Old 06-25-09, 05:57 PM
Budhah
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by UGKkllr
If anyone around the nova/dc area wants to lemme test drive their 04+ that would be great. That way when I do find one I like , I can at least have something to compare it to. And like I mentioned already, I dont expect a rocketship like my supra was, I just want throttle response which the 2001 UL had none of whatsoever. When I even touch the gas pedal on my gs400 it jumps. The ls on the other hand required me stomping on it hard to get the same result. And once it did respond even still it was slow. I wonder how much slower it would have been with a set of 20 inch wheels and a few passengers.
My 06 is not the fastest thing around. That being said, It is also the smoothest I have driven in years. It is doing an injustice to mention the Supra and LS in the same comparison, for speed. One is almost 3/5 the weight of the other. Now do the same comparison on the ride, room and comfort, and the Supra is really lacking, esp for a tall guy. The Supra is like comparison of a Tank to a Humvee..

I understand that The LS is electronic driven instead of accelerator cable. The Computer chip learn how the driver likes to drive and aids in that duty. I had a 08 Tundra that you could not start off easy until the computer was reset.

What always, and I mean always.. surprises me, is that even if others run from me at the stop light, I am always right with them at the next light LOL On the highway, I can run fast and smooth, If I want to floor it to pass someone, I will gain 30 MPH by the time I get around the other car..
Old 06-25-09, 07:41 PM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Actually the Supra Turbo is about 7/8ths the weight of an LS. The LS is a very light car for what it is. Not that it's supposed to be fast, but it's probably faster than a non-turbo Supra...
Old 06-25-09, 10:33 PM
JP2SEA
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DNC
When I bought my UL I was also looking at the V12 7 Series. I decided I wanted a less complicated life and went with the UL. Living in a country without an Audubon I figure I will spend little time driving over 80 mph so I had to ask myself why did I need a V12? I am buying a new car for my family now and have put more effort into looking at safety rather than performance since there are more opportunities for accidents than opportunities for safely cruising at high speeds due to our inferior roads here in the US.
Yep. I'm with you, too. I look for comfort and safety since my kids sit in the back occasionally. I can't speed with 4 watchful eyes constantly reminding me NOT TO SPEED

LS is definitely slower than other cars I've owned in the past but not the slowest either.
Old 06-26-09, 11:31 AM
UGKkllr
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sojah
if you come out to the annapolis mini meet for the all you can eat crabs on july 11th (sat) i will let you drive mines.
Ok I just might have to do that. How much does it cost and is this a NELOC function ?

Originally Posted by Budhah
It is doing an injustice to mention the Supra and LS in the same comparison, for speed. One is almost 3/5 the weight of the other. Now do the same comparison on the ride, room and comfort, and the Supra is really lacking, esp for a tall guy. The Supra is like comparison of a Tank to a Humvee..

I wasnt comparing the two, I wouldnt even think of it. Just sayin that I dont expect it to be anywhere close to the supra, I just expect throttle response better then what I experienced.

Originally Posted by I6turbo
Actually the Supra Turbo is about 7/8ths the weight of an LS. The LS is a very light car for what it is. Not that it's supposed to be fast, but it's probably faster than a non-turbo Supra...
No doubt any LS would smoke a non turbo supra. Driving one of those feels like driving a 98-05 gs300 in terms of acceleration.
Old 06-26-09, 01:53 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

the crab rest is sorta famous and its 26 all u can eat fresh steamed crabs, please stop by and check it out in the neloc section, id post up a link but im sitting on a hospitol bed using my phone. even if ur not a crab eater like my wife just stop by to meet and great. it is neloc folks but prolly not an official function on account of the small size meet n all.
Old 06-26-09, 04:41 PM
UGKkllr
Intermediate

alright sounds good, I'll check out the neloc forum for sure and get the details. Might be at the beach that week tho , still not sure. Hope ya feel better sojah. The hospital is my least favorite place to be anywhere around.
Old 06-26-09, 10:55 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by UGKkllr
Ya well if I could even find an 04+ UL to test drive anywhere within 100 miles of me which I cant . Im right by washington DC and they never ever become available around here . They are always in texas, cali, NY, florida, Georgia, Michigan, etc...And the DC metropolitan area is one of the wealthiest in the country, you would think I would see more for sale locally. Im gonna go and drive a non UL 04 either today or tommorow just for comparison sake. If I dont find one by the end of july then Im gonna end up buying an e55 or something along those lines instead. Im sharing a gs400 right now with my live-in female friend and I need my own car, this is gettin old fast. Im sittin on 27k cash set aside for a car yet have no car to call all my own.
you're right, i've check the local dealership websites, and it seems like most dealerships has 1 or 2 LS430's in stock. It must be the weak economy... BTW, my LS430 feels comparable to my old GS400...
Old 06-27-09, 06:24 PM
BIGGZ
Lexus Test Driver

to me the LS is pretty fast.well,i came from driving a 83.8HP ae86 so anything so compared to that it seems pretty quick.=)
Old 06-27-09, 06:26 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

so it wasn't a turboed out panda print drift machine then??? ^ ^ ^
Old 06-27-09, 11:18 PM
BIGGZ
Lexus Test Driver

haha nope!just a normal oil leaking,valve tapping 4age!
heres my dyno sheet!

Quick Reply: Test drove my first ultra luxury ls430 today