LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

90k service

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-10, 08:30 AM
RUSSOM
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jayclapp
Log on to the Lexus site, register your car and you can then access the service record and print a copy. You can even add your additional service that is not done by Lexus.
I'm interested in doing this, but I do not see it on the site.

I'm looking here:
http://www.lexus.com/

Is there an alternate site, or did they change something?

Thanks
Old 09-10-10, 08:37 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by RUSSOM
I'm interested in doing this, but I do not see it on the site.

I'm looking here:
http://www.lexus.com/

Is there an alternate site, or did they change something?

Thanks
You're on the right page. Down in the lower left you will see "owners". Click that and select "my lexus". They register and obtain the info from my lexus.
Old 09-10-10, 01:04 PM
kg19989
Lead Lap

For the record, the 2004-06 models the first timing belt change is at the 90K service.
Old 09-10-10, 09:31 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

FYI...

Timing belt service is critical, if you purchased this vehicle it is one of the things you should have budgeted for if anywhere near the 90k mile mark. Mine was done at 92k just before I bought it, and in fact was a major reason I did not buy a car with slightly under 90k that would be needing it within a few thousand miles. If you are looking at used LS' and are looking at any at or near 90k, the easiest way to know if the service was performed by an official Lexus dealer is to look for a silver sticker on the engine cover that says "Timing belt replacement maintenance service" along with the date and mileage at which it was performed. Remember that if you don't drive your car often you must stick to Toyota's recommendation of 9 years in LIEU of the 90k mile recommendation... this is a part that can and will deteriorate over time even if not used.

Second, transmission service since mid 2004 is no longer a 60k mile requirement. Toyota switched to a 100k mile interval in 2004 and I believe even then, they are required to only inspect the transmission at 100k and only change the fluid if they deem necessary... Homie don't play that... My 2004 was built in January of 2004 and still had the old manual with the 60k requirement and to my knowledge, since the manual was stamped for that service I thought it had been done. Nope. Transmission service is among the most important regular services to do to ANY car and anything past 60k mile intervals is a serious gamble to me. As a result, I will be having my tranny flushed here in the next few days, whether they insist it needs it or not.
Old 09-11-10, 10:56 AM
RUSSOM
Driver

Thanks Jay.

I see varying schedules out there and varying replacement and inspection items too.

Based on the owner's manual and what I've found with some searches, here's the list I've come up with, although I do have some questions about add'l items I haven't found an answer to. I normally replace or perform the services with a "?" in front of them at this interval on other cars, but I can't find any info. on them for this car (2004 LS430, 6spd auto). Any suggestions?

WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE
T-belt
Wtr. Pmp.
Air Filter
Trans Fluid @ 60k
Diff Fluid
Replace Coolant with Toyota Super Long Life @ 100k
Replace with Motul @ 30k
Spark Plugs @ 120k
Valve Clearance @ 60k
?PWS FLUID
?FUEL FILTER
?IDLER
?TENSIONER
?CAM SEALS
?CRANK SEALS
?VLV CVR GSKTS

LOOK OVER
BJs & Dust Covers
Full Nut & Bolt
Steering linkage & Boots
Brake Lines
CV Boots
Exh. Leaks
Re-Tq D/S flange bolts
Old 09-11-10, 05:31 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Jay.

I see varying schedules out there and varying replacement and inspection items too.

Based on the owner's manual and what I've found with some searches, here's the list I've come up with, although I do have some questions about add'l items I haven't found an answer to. I normally replace or perform the services with a "?" in front of them at this interval on other cars, but I can't find any info. on them for this car (2004 LS430, 6spd auto). Any suggestions?

WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE
T-belt
Wtr. Pmp.
Air Filter
Trans Fluid @ 60k
Diff Fluid
Replace with Motul @ 30k
Spark Plugs @ 120k
Valve Clearance @ 60k
?PWS FLUID
?FUEL FILTER
?IDLER
?TENSIONER
?CAM SEALS
?CRANK SEALS
?VLV CVR GSKTS

LOOK OVER
BJs & Dust Covers
Full Nut & Bolt
Steering linkage & Boots
Brake Lines
CV Boots
Exh. Leaks
Re-Tq D/S flange bolts
Again, transmission fluid will NOT be changed at the 60k service unless you specifically direct them to do so. I recommend that you have this done regardless of whether they tell you it is necessary or not. Your manual is out of date like mine was.
Old 09-12-10, 10:51 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Thanks Jay.

WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE
T-belt
Wtr. Pmp.
Air Filter
Trans Fluid @ 60k
Diff Fluid
Replace with Motul @ 30k
Spark Plugs @ 120k
Valve Clearance @ 60k
?PWS FLUID
?FUEL FILTER
?IDLER
?TENSIONER
?CAM SEALS
?CRANK SEALS
?VLV CVR GSKTS

LOOK OVER
BJs & Dust Covers
Full Nut & Bolt
Steering linkage & Boots
Brake Lines
CV Boots
Exh. Leaks
Re-Tq D/S flange bolts
Ignore various other maintenance schedules. Use the Lexus schedule for your car.

You can get a copy on the Lexus web site as follows:

1. Go to Lexus.com
2. Search for your dealer
3. In lower left corner select "owner"
4. Create an account and log in
5. In left-hand column select "service"
6. In drop down select "maintenance schedule"

While on the serice page, you can also choose "view and manage your service history" for all service done by Lexus or service that you have manually added.

If you select "vehicle resources" in the left hand column, you can then select "order owner's manual" and/or "online owner's manual".

Hope this helps, as it is somewhat difficult to find how to register and log-in.
Old 09-13-10, 08:30 AM
jmscott
Driver School Candidate

Did my wifes LX timing belt & water pump @ 145K. It looked brand new. The problem is you just never know what COULD happen. I wouldn't be concerened about replacing it well after the 90K intervall.
Old 09-13-10, 11:12 AM
RUSSOM
Driver

Outstanding!

Thank you Jay. That is a very nice way to organize the vehicle history and even better that I can list previous services with independent shops to compliment my dealer maint/repair history.

This ownership feature can literally add value to the car with correct reporting and will lessen the chances that an unnec. service is performed after a used car purchase.

Thanks again
Old 09-13-10, 11:46 AM
kg19989
Lead Lap

Outstanding!

Thank you Jay. That is a very nice way to organize the vehicle history and even better that I can list previous services with independent shops to compliment my dealer maint/repair history.

This ownership feature can literally add value to the car with correct reporting and will lessen the chances that an unnec. service is performed after a used car purchase.

Thanks again
Just another reason we drive Lexus!
Old 09-13-10, 08:02 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 283 Likes on 238 Posts

A number of owners who changed their timing belts around the 90K mark have mentioned that the original belt showed very little if any wear. The OEM belts are made to last!
Old 09-13-10, 11:16 PM
vollandt
Driver

Originally Posted by jsphbowles
Yes, your engine will be torn up if the timing belt breaks!
taken from this thread https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ming-belt.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls430/442972-when-do-you-replace-timing-belt.html
Originally Posted by I6turbo
\ I've seen on Toyota V-engine timing belts, I just don't think it's that big of a gamble in most driving circumstances, certainly not at 120K. I haven't actually seen any high-mileage Toyota V8's torn down, but I've seen V-6 4-runners and the like with 200K+ on the original timing belt and they still look fine. If I wanted to run it that long, I'd just take a look at it periodically -- every 10-15K miles after the first 100 or so -- and wouldn't go that long if it started looking bad, but I really doubt it'd start looking bad. I've never seen a factory belt break unless it was showing fatigue symptoms such as cracked teeth and back-side, missing teeth, etc. (not that I've inspected belts before they broke, but these are things you can see after the fact). The way they're built they just don't suddenly fail without any aging/fatigue/damage signs before hand, IME.
:
Has anyone actually heard of ("first hand, second hand, etc) anyone having a TB breaking on a toyota V8? I have not. All the stories I've heard refer the the belt looking like new no matter how many miles are on the car.

Assuming it's not that difficult to get to and inspect, I like the idea of inspecting the TB after 100k per above. Does anyone know how easy it is to get to the TB to do an inspection?

As for changing the WP at the same time, the mechanic I go to thinks the the TB is more likely to fail because of a pulley or wp seizure than from natural causes. If has any merrit at all, it seems silly not to change the WP/pulleys while doing the TB.