LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

location of coolant expansion tank

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-09, 05:46 PM
jay33
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default location of coolant expansion tank

Hi- where is coolant expansion tank located on 2002 ls430? is it covered by something? never had a car where it wasn't readily visible and accessible. thanks. Jay
Old 07-07-09, 08:15 AM
BrianJ
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jay33
Hi- where is coolant expansion tank located on 2002 ls430? is it covered by something? never had a car where it wasn't readily visible and accessible. thanks. Jay
It's under the air intake. You'll need to unfasten the 2 screw/push pins and remove the intake.

Brian
Old 07-07-09, 12:41 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BrianJ
It's under the air intake. You'll need to unfasten the 2 screw/push pins and remove the intake.

Brian
Where is the air intake? It's not in an obvious place, if you don't know where it is. Here is a picture, unfasten the two screws (circled in red).
Attached Thumbnails location of coolant expansion tank-t519-0031-1-.jpg  
Old 07-07-09, 12:44 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Default Cover off..

Once the screws are off, it pulls straight up, off the air filter housing, and you'll see the expansion reservoir, and the radiator along with the cap opening.

Have fun re-filling...
Attached Thumbnails location of coolant expansion tank-t519-0032-1-.jpg   location of coolant expansion tank-t519-0033-1-.jpg  
Old 07-07-09, 12:46 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Pretty easy task, although it would be even easier if it were visible without removing ANYTHING !!!! But I guess there's just so much stuff and not enough space, you gotta hide things.
Old 02-03-22, 03:22 PM
dgardner55
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
Pretty easy task, although it would be even easier if it were visible without removing ANYTHING !!!! But I guess there's just so much stuff and not enough space, you gotta hide things.
It would be even easier if the damn screws would 'unscrew'. They just turn and turn and turn.....and never get full loose.

I can always drill them out, but are new fasteners available?

Thanks!

Dave G.
Old 02-03-22, 03:38 PM
bradland

Received 685 Likes on 561 Posts

Originally Posted by dgardner55
It would be even easier if the damn screws would 'unscrew'. They just turn and turn and turn.....and never get full loose.

I can always drill them out, but are new fasteners available?

Thanks!

Dave G.
It's not really a SCREW in the conventional sense. Toyota actually calls it a Clip. Use a very small screwdriver or pick to get between the screw head and large flange then pry up while unscrewing it'll come right out.

The following users liked this post:
LatinLS430 (02-03-22)
Old 02-03-22, 05:00 PM
dgardner55
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bradland
It's not really a SCREW in the conventional sense. Toyota actually calls it a Clip. Use a very small screwdriver or pick to get between the screw head and large flange then pry up while unscrewing it'll come right out.
I understand that type of fastener.....but.....I'm guessing that over the years, someone 'servicing' the car decided that the screw had to be torqued in place....and now it won't unscrew enough to be pried out. The screw backs out about 3 turns or so, but won't release or pop out. ( it DOES wiggle a lot, but won't lift out, nor will it lift out with a pliers grip on the screw head. I'd guess that the fastener is somewhat of a standard Toyota part, so drilling out may still be a viable option.

I saw the 'unfastening' shown in a video on coolant servicing. A small prybar was used in lieu of a screwdriver, but the intent was the same. In that illustration, the fastener came out just as you described. I've been 'dinking' on cars for over 60 years, and have a full toolbox, but this one is frustrating!

I'm having a shop take a look at it in the morning.....

Thanks for your input.
Old 02-03-22, 05:15 PM
bradland

Received 685 Likes on 561 Posts

Originally Posted by dgardner55
I understand that type of fastener.....but.....I'm guessing that over the years, someone 'servicing' the car decided that the screw had to be torqued in place....and now it won't unscrew enough to be pried out. The screw backs out about 3 turns or so, but won't release or pop out. ( it DOES wiggle a lot, but won't lift out, nor will it lift out with a pliers grip on the screw head. I'd guess that the fastener is somewhat of a standard Toyota part, so drilling out may still be a viable option.

I saw the 'unfastening' shown in a video on coolant servicing. A small prybar was used in lieu of a screwdriver, but the intent was the same. In that illustration, the fastener came out just as you described. I've been 'dinking' on cars for over 60 years, and have a full toolbox, but this one is frustrating!

I'm having a shop take a look at it in the morning.....

Thanks for your input.
It's made entirely of plastic so the idea of someone torquing it doesn't really hold water.
The screw itself does not come out, the entire assembly lifts out together. That's how it is designed to work, the lower section flares out when the screw is all the way down. Pry under the screw while unscrewing to lift it up, not out, then pry under the large flange to lift out.
If you have to destroy or drill it don't worry replacements are readily available for a couple buck ea.- 909467-08155

Last edited by bradland; 02-03-22 at 05:36 PM.
Old 02-03-22, 06:56 PM
LS430Lexus
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 57 Posts

You can see the tank and check the fill level without removing the air intake. Just look, right of center, between the air intake and the silver engine cover in front of the "4.3". A flashlight helps but the light on my older iPhone works perfectly. You can see the "Y" shaped window, the fill mark and the level of the coolant with a little practice.

Also, the flare pegs on my "clips" don't function properly. It's a good thing as my air intake can just be easily "lifted off" and fitted back on without tools. It is convenient and doesn't seem to affect the function.

Last edited by LS430Lexus; 02-03-22 at 07:00 PM.
Old 02-03-22, 07:33 PM
Aus430
Pole Position

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

You don't need to bother with the clips. The intake sits in place on its own just fine.
Old 02-04-22, 04:16 PM
dgardner55
Driver School Candidate

Well, I went to the local 'Japanese Auto' service today....and....they resolved the problem! ....and, yes, the screws had been 'overtightened' and broken off in the clip! Consequently, the 'expansion' would not relieve and allow the removal of the clip. Nothing damaged, and they gave me some updated clips, not using a screw. This is what the 'new' ones look like.

...and...I agree that the cover will probably stay in place without the clips, because of its shape and attachment to the air intake and general fit. I also agree that the level can be seen with a sneaky peek over the engine cover toward the radiator......but that doesn't allow level adjustment, only knowledge of the level.

One has to get 'under the covers' to get the job done!

...and...thanks to all for some constructive input for this issue. I am indeed more educated and comfortable with that new knowledge!

Dave G.

The following users liked this post:
LatinLS430 (02-05-22)