No clear... went sport !!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-09, 05:01 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Back on...

Originally Posted by LS430inDE.
Call me Studly, but I can unhook almost ALL bras in the dark...with one hand...without looking...and laying down on a bed or couch!
Yeah, but can you put it back on with one hand, without looking, and laying down on a couch? ha ha. Then again, once it's off, why would you want to put it back on...
Old 07-13-09, 08:59 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 105 Likes on 85 Posts
Default Sports Bra

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
Yaozer !!! did you get a bra that you had to stitch up yourself first? Maybe you got the full bra with the bumper too, I only got the hood/sport bra and it took 5 min. tops from out of box, reading, to installing. Just like a real bra, slips right over, and you latch the straps.

I got the Cogan bra, which is custom fit so fits perfect. Two straps that go right into these "preset" holes on the hood, and then then three plastic latches that go on the underside of the grille.

Anyway, I know the old-school "leather" bra is a hit-or-miss thing, but for me, it was more the dust line would drive me crazy (unless I wash my car every two days) than like. I'm okay with it, but I would have preferred the clear bra had it not been for the dust line I saw at the last minute.

Taking the bra off at every wash, cleaning, and waxing the hood, although only about 30 min. total, is still a PITB to do every time.
I just installed my Colgan bra again on my 04 SL430 UL for a summer trip. I think I might have misled some about the time required to install/remove. Here's what I just went thru:

1. Wash and wax the front of the car and mirrors (dust and sand under the bra is like sandpaper & we're trying to protect the car)
2. Install both the upper and lower bra. I notice from your photos that you did not install the lower. When installing it you have to pull and tug to make sure the holes for the parking sensors are not covered and are still functional. Sorry, but the headlamp washers are covered and will not function with the bra.
3. Clean the bra and condition with Eagle One Protectant or equivalent. You've just covered a nice looking car and you don't want the cover to look like a piece of crap.
4. Repeat this procedure for the mirror bras. Again, sorry about the puddle lamps being covered and not functional with the bra.

Finally, when taking the bra off sort of reverse the procedure, cleaning and applying protectant before removing and then cleaning and waxing the front of the car and mirrors.

So, the time it takes to install and remove is up to each individual and how particular they choose to be. No offense intended.
Old 07-13-09, 11:21 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Default Check...

Originally Posted by jayclapp
... So, the time it takes to install and remove is up to each individual and how particular they choose to be. No offense intended.
Check, you went full professional there, thus the reason it takes you close to an hour to get the whole thing done.

Yes, I only have the hood portion, as I'm more interested in keeping metal parts protected, than plastic that I can touch up more easily without too noticeable of blotches.

As for as "armor-all"ing the bra, that would be a good touch, but I usually just want it down as I wash the car (with bra removed or course) and then let it dry. Thus far, over five years on RX, haven't seen a crack but the bra has stretched from wind.

Anyway, it seems like you're doing the right things with your bra and car, keeping them in tip top shape. If you've got the time, then do it right I guess...
Old 07-13-09, 11:58 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Im retired so I can make the time. It's surprising how busy a retired person can be though.
Old 07-13-09, 06:01 PM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

LOL I admire the intent of keeping a car pristine, but guess I've never seen the logic in a bra because I don't see it working out that way. IME, the bra WILL damage the vehicle over time -- at least the vehicles that I've seen and wrenched on over the years with a few bra miles on them were damaged at some points... As far as looks, I also fail to see how a giant ugly quilt of a thing on the front of the car looks better than a tiny "dust line" that someone can see if they look closely while the car is dirty. To each his own, though.
Old 07-13-09, 06:21 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Default Not what others can see...

Originally Posted by I6turbo
... I also fail to see how a giant ugly quilt of a thing on the front of the car looks better than a tiny "dust line" that someone can see if they look closely while the car is dirty. To each his own, though.
Yes, when you put a black bra on a white car... then it stands out too much, especially if it's a full face bra. On black, a bra doesn't stand out so much.

As for the "dust line" that's more bothersome to me, rather than someone else. Honestly, if I could live with having a grey line across the hood, then who cars what others thought. If there were, I would have 3M'd the whole hood, rather than just the front edge.

I got rid of my Accord basically because I had purchased it with a small ding on the door, right at the "edge" and that thing just BOTHERED me every single time I saw it. I would walk over and BOOM, my eyes just gravitated towards that darn ding.
Old 07-13-09, 07:37 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by I6turbo
LOL I admire the intent of keeping a car pristine, but guess I've never seen the logic in a bra because I don't see it working out that way. IME, the bra WILL damage the vehicle over time -- at least the vehicles that I've seen and wrenched on over the years with a few bra miles on them were damaged at some points... As far as looks, I also fail to see how a giant ugly quilt of a thing on the front of the car looks better than a tiny "dust line" that someone can see if they look closely while the car is dirty. To each his own, though.
I could care less what other people think of my car when I am traveling on a vacation. What I really care about is what the car looks like when I get back home. If you've even found yourself traveling and on a road that is recently covered with loose gravel and every idiot on the road wanting to drive 70 mph you'll know what I'm talking about.

Personally, I never want to travel on unknown roads without the protection of a bra. I have never had damage due to a bra, but have had a lot of protection against damage.
Old 07-14-09, 04:40 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Default No bra...

... Personally, I never want to travel on unknown roads without the protection of a bra. I have never had damage due to a bra, but have had a lot of protection against damage.
straight up right. Any bra, vinyl or clear. When I first got my RX, that front edge was ding-dong hell. After getting the bra and taking care of it... zero additional anything and keeps the bugs off the grille too.

darn you stinkin' bugs.
Old 07-15-09, 08:57 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I could care less what other people think of my car when I am traveling on a vacation. What I really care about is what the car looks like when I get back home. If you've even found yourself traveling and on a road that is recently covered with loose gravel and every idiot on the road wanting to drive 70 mph you'll know what I'm talking about.

Personally, I never want to travel on unknown roads without the protection of a bra. I have never had damage due to a bra, but have had a lot of protection against damage.
True about there being some circumstances where it makes good sense, but the OP didn't seem to be talking about back-roading or special trip use -- he seemed to be talking about daily use, so that's what I was responding to. If for some reason I were going to drive my LS on crappy, rock-strewn roads, I would have no hesitation to do something dramatic like a bra, but here in civilization we don't really have that issue. My LS has essentially no nicks on the front at 50K miles, my '95 Supra has only a couple of tiny ones that can be found on close inspection but these came from racing bikes or other fast cars up to 180+ MPH, the A3 I just sold at 25K miles had essentially none... Of course driving on two-lane roads with gravel on them will inevitably result in rock pecks, but rock pecks from the more major roads in most parts of the country are most often the driver's fault for following too closely, or being unfortunate enough to have to spend a lot of time in heavy, higher-speed traffic, neither of which I do.

Last edited by I6turbo; 07-15-09 at 09:08 AM.
Old 07-20-09, 07:14 AM
spender
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi - I've got the clear bra, and I've never had this "dust line" problem. With one of my previous cars, I had a bra setup, but found it a big pain. Always had to take it off to let it dry if it rained, and needed to keep it super clear underneath, as otherwise it would buff (like sandpaper) the finish beneath. I think the clear bra technology improves every year, now I've even got it on the family minivan and it looks great.
Old 07-20-09, 09:16 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Default Color

Originally Posted by spender
Hi - I've got the clear bra, and I've never had this "dust line" problem. ...
What color is your vehicle? Light color, no issues because blends in. Dark color (black, blue) you'll see it, unless you wash your car every day.