LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

No clear... went sport !!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-09, 05:28 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default No clear... went sport !!!

Had these a while now, but forgot to post it. I had inquired on the clear bra a while back and it seemed like the right move for me. That was until I got to the shop and saw a sample on a black car. This was the new 3M, top of the line, thin film, everything... but it left a dust line along the car that was just too visible. I think a clear bra on a light colored (white, silver, beige) would be very good, because the color would conceal the edge line once it gathers dust, but on a dark (black) vehicle, no way. So, I went with the Cogan Sport Bra, same that I have for the RX300, and I think it actually looks better applied on my black LS than it does on my green RX. The color matches of course, and the mirror bra ain't too bad either. Here are some pics:
Attached Thumbnails No clear... went sport !!!-img_2556.jpg   No clear... went sport !!!-img_2558.jpg   No clear... went sport !!!-img_2559.jpg  
Old 07-07-09, 06:07 PM
playa3uhh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I actually kind of like it. Looks good and unique! Especially looks nice on black paint. It blends in.
Old 07-07-09, 08:18 PM
airtime
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Glad you made a choice. Not hating, but look not for me (of course I'm bias as I have the clear ).

The bra look is retro. Reminds me of days back in high school.

Note, I never had real good luck with bra that doesn't eventually scratch the car due to dust and dirt getting underneath it either from rain maxed with dust on the car that seeps into it to micro wind buffering that you don't see that lifts it ever so slightly and back down again.
Old 07-08-09, 05:02 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Default Don't hate

Originally Posted by airtime
Glad you made a choice. Not hating, but look not for me (of course I'm bias as I have the clear ).

The bra look is retro. Reminds me of days back in high school.

Note, I never had real good luck with bra that doesn't eventually scratch the car due to dust and dirt getting underneath it either from rain maxed with dust on the car that seeps into it to micro wind buffering that you don't see that lifts it ever so slightly and back down again.
Don't hate, you know you want it... ha ha. Yes, this is definitely "old school" but better than "dust line" on the car. I must live in a dust zone, because I clean my car and two days later there is a layer of dust.

What color is your car? It must be light because it it's a dark color, you'd see the edge line right across the hood. That alone would drive me crazy.

As for the sport bra scratching, yes that can be a problem, but I've always removed the bra at every wash and cleaned it also to prevent the heavy dust buildup. The wind deflector helps with keeping the bra down and snug. It just requires maintanance that's all. You can't install it and then not remove for five years and expect perfect coverage. I was also every time I remove the bra. In my over six years with the RX, have not had hazing, scratching, and most important, chips and dents.
Old 07-08-09, 05:18 AM
So Philly1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No bra for me, ima go topless
Old 07-08-09, 06:56 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 105 Likes on 85 Posts

I have the identical bra (grille & mirrors) for my 04. I only use it when I take a long trip. You never know what kind of roads you will experience, but I find that with our decaying interstate I always run into new road construction. The bra offers good protection against damage during trips. I've used sport bras for all my cars for the past 30 years. I never leave them on for normal every day driving.
Old 07-08-09, 07:10 AM
debian
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The car looks great with that cover. Well done...
Jayclapp, I like your idea about using it for long trips only...I think I am going to get one for that reason.
Cheers,
Ian
Old 07-08-09, 08:05 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Long trips is needed for sure, but haven't you heard, 85% of accidents occur within 5 miles of home (or something like that... ) so how do you know when a rock is going to shoot up and chip your hood? The LS's paint so sensitive, it doesn't take highway speed for a pebble to chip that hood. I think if a fat bubble bee landed too hard on the hood that iti would chip the paint.
Old 07-08-09, 08:29 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by So Philly1
No bra for me, ima go topless
LMAO!

Alex,

Not my style (I feel you on the paint) but long as you love it, I'm happy for you bro!
Old 07-08-09, 09:13 AM
airtime
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
It must be light because it it's a dark color, you'd see the edge line right across the hood. That alone would drive me crazy.
True that. There is "dust line" where the clear ends. Only happens when the car is dirty. I don't even notice it anymore as I just ignore it or wash the car

How much time does it take to put on or remove the bra from the hood?
Old 07-08-09, 03:36 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 105 Likes on 85 Posts

The first time you install will be a learning period and will take 30-45 minutes or however long you choose, depending on how careful and particular you are.

Thereafter, it can be done in 15 minutes or less.

Regarding chips incurred. Rocks at speed are a killer (F=M x A) and will do the most damage. Or a lot of small rocks from unexpected road construction. Also, the inverted v-shaped air dams on top of the hood will deflect objects and provide windshield protection from smaller objects.

Just make sure you get a quality bra that fits snugly and properly.
Old 07-09-09, 07:25 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Default 40 min !!!!

Originally Posted by jayclapp
The first time you install will be a learning period and will take 30-45 minutes or however long you choose, depending on how careful and particular you are.

Thereafter, it can be done in 15 minutes or less...
Yaozer !!! did you get a bra that you had to stitch up yourself first? Maybe you got the full bra with the bumper too, I only got the hood/sport bra and it took 5 min. tops from out of box, reading, to installing. Just like a real bra, slips right over, and you latch the straps.

I got the Cogan bra, which is custom fit so fits perfect. Two straps that go right into these "preset" holes on the hood, and then then three plastic latches that go on the underside of the grille.

Anyway, I know the old-school "leather" bra is a hit-or-miss thing, but for me, it was more the dust line would drive me crazy (unless I wash my car every two days) than like. I'm okay with it, but I would have preferred the clear bra had it not been for the dust line I saw at the last minute.

Taking the bra off at every wash, cleaning, and waxing the hood, although only about 30 min. total, is still a PITB to do every time.
Old 07-09-09, 08:04 AM
junjdm
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

not for me, but I would use it for long trips....
Old 07-09-09, 08:20 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Just curious, but if these things up front are "bras" then can those ugly bumper guard, swing down things, be called a car "panty" or "diaper" ????
Old 07-09-09, 09:37 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Default studly

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
Taking the bra off at every wash, cleaning, and waxing the hood, although only about 30 min. total, is still a PITB to do every time.
Call me Studly, but I can unhook almost ALL bras in the dark...with one hand...without looking...and laying down on a bed or couch!

Quick Reply: No clear... went sport !!!