LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Widest Wheel Width on a stock LS430

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-09, 08:20 PM
earldjjone
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Sojah. You mention putting a "tighter" set of springs on the ls. By tighter I tal\ke it you mean stiffer. I have a 01 ls430 that I have put a set of BlackIce 20's with a offset of 45 and 245/35/20 tires on and I am experiencing some rubbing on dips in the road (it seems to be only in the back). What springs are available to change out to for my car? The shocks seem to be alright (the car rides very smooth on level pavement) but those dips drive me crazy when I hear that rub. Can you give some specifics as to replacement springs to stiffen it up a little? It rubs without anyone being in the back seat by the way. thanks for any help you or anyone else can provide!
Old 07-18-09, 09:05 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i almost purchased a set of tein cs (comfort sport) coilovers for my last lex (gs400) and i know tein makes good quality stuff, not sure if they made a set for the ls430 or not. search for "L tuned casron" on google and when u get to the L tuned site select ls430 and suspension and it should give u a couple brands to choose from. i know there are a few companies that make springs for this car but a set of coilovers from a name brand would prob be the best choice.
Old 07-19-09, 07:52 PM
JDMUSCLE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I will try out my CCW 11.5 soon and post up the results soon guys....
Old 07-20-09, 12:29 PM
debian
Driver

Anyone have 19x10 on the rear of their LS430?
Thanks,
Ian
Old 07-20-09, 01:07 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

that is a common size ^ ^, for 19's in my opinion the most common sizes are a set of 19x8.5 or 19x9 f and 19x9.5 rear or 19x10 rear
Old 07-21-09, 01:59 PM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by sojah
i almost purchased a set of tein cs (comfort sport) coilovers for my last lex (gs400) and i know tein makes good quality stuff, not sure if they made a set for the ls430 or not. search for "L tuned casron" on google and when u get to the L tuned site select ls430 and suspension and it should give u a couple brands to choose from. i know there are a few companies that make springs for this car but a set of coilovers from a name brand would prob be the best choice.
Tein still makes the CS for the LS430. They switched from aluminum body to steel body for the CS a couple of years ago, but I'm pretty sure they still make them. I have a perfect set of the aluminum body CS that I will probably offer up for sale in a few weeks, but not certain yet if I want to get rid of them.

BTW, the aluminum body CS weighs several pounds EACH less than the factory shocks -- I wrote down the actual weights at home, but don't recall the exact numbers at the moment.
Old 07-21-09, 02:17 PM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by debian
hey I6turbo so if i found 19x 10. (if they exist) would it stick out more on the street side of the car or towards the inside. i ask because sojah said 10 can fit on these cars. from your pic I6turbo the wheels looks like it is almost flush to the fender. so i am thinking 19x10 would either stick out on the extra 1" is in the inner side.
Sojah. feel free to further explain.
i am trying to read up on the benefits or drawbacks of wide rear tires.
thanks
ian
Sorry for the slow response -- been traveling.

In addition to what Sojah wrote, you may be able to find some good calculators on-line to figure out what the relative dimensions would be for various widths and offsets. Starting with the assumption that my 9.5" 45-mm offsets are about right if you aren't planning to lower the car dramatically, you could figure out what other widths and offsets would position the wheel/tire face at a similar position. A quick calculation that I just did indicates that a 10" wheel would need a 51-mm offset to position the wheel/tire face at the same point as my 9.5" 45-mm offset wheels. Of course that'd put the additional .5" of wheel on the "inside", but I'm sure there's plenty of room on the LS.

Here's some additional explaination of offset, and there may be even more on the site but I didn't look much:
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/...urrentpage=103

I've seen a much better one somewhere on line, but I didn't find it in a quick search -- I'm pretty sure I've seen one where you could enter your wheel dimensions and it'd show you a diagram relative to other wheels....

Last edited by I6turbo; 07-21-09 at 02:22 PM.
Old 07-21-09, 02:25 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

cool info, i will have to book mark this now for further viewings... thanks
Old 07-22-09, 07:12 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

BTW, I checked my notes on the weights of the Tein CS vs. stock setup. I forgot to weigh the stock rears so I don't have a comparison, but the Fronts were:

Factory shock/spring assembly = 16 pounds
Tein CS (Aluminum body version) = 10.2 pounds

That's quite a bit of difference...
Old 07-29-09, 02:03 PM
debian
Driver

Okay so hopefully this will be my last set of questions on this matter.

Will 18x9.5 +34 fit on the front of a non lowered LS430?
Does anyone know the size of the stock rotors on the LS430?

I6turbo you seem to know how to calculate this stuff. I am trying to get the widest width I can on the front of the car. It is possible that I will lower the car in the future, but not a "sick" drop. All depends on the prices I hear from the importer I am in talks with.

Thanks,
Ian
PS hey Sojah I just got back from Jamaica PM your address and I will send you a new dancehall cd.
Old 07-29-09, 02:14 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

bless up ian,

for those wheel sizes you are asking about i would personally do like a 18x8.5 front and if the offset isn't rudeboy enough for you then add some spacers which when you go to lower the car can always be taken off if the width is cutting it close where as a rim width can't be changed if you find out when you lower it that it may be an issue which is something i foresee as a definite possibility here (if you lower it).

the stock rotor size is usually compared to the bbk (big brake kit) size. so when you hear dem say it will clear bbk then your good. i've never heard the specific details on physical measurements of the rotor or caliper size just the comparison to bbk size. be careful about this though because i've been looking a lot at wheels lately myself and noticed a couple people mentioning that they got burned on this. also make sure they are 114.3 bolt spacing and x5 lug pattern just in case you weren't already apprised of this knowledge
Old 07-30-09, 10:00 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by debian
Will 18x9.5 +34 fit on the front of a non lowered LS430?
I would think that's too wide and too little offset to work well. If my quick calculations are correct, those would stick out almost 7/8" further than my fronts. Also, I'd be pretty concerned about how it made the car drive -- it might be pretty "darty" on anything except perfectly flat surfaces. The LS has a great on-center feel, IMO (knows where 'straight ahead' is), and if you want to preserve that good steering feel, I'd stick with something not so wide and a higher offset number. FWIW, my setup feels very good from a steering feel standpoint.

Does anyone know the size of the stock rotors on the LS430?
Don't recall off-hand, but with 18's there should be no issue with the rotor diameter, what you have to watch is the clearance between the caliper and the wheel spokes. The LS has a big thick caliper that sticks out unusually far compared to most cars. In addition to what Sojah said, if your wheel manufacturer isn't familiar with the LS or BBK fitment, ask them if the wheel will clear the caliper on a '93+ Supra TURBO -- those are about the same in the clearance regard.

Last edited by I6turbo; 07-30-09 at 10:06 AM.
Old 08-03-09, 07:11 AM
awtrott
Rookie

Question Wheel offset advice

Folks, I hope you don't mind but I thought I would piggy back on your dicussion and ask for your input on a set of wheels I planning to purchase.

The fittment is as follows:
size = 18x8, offset = 40mm
with bolt patter 5x114.3

Given that the OEM offset for the 18x7.5 wheel is 45mm, will my selection push out too far or will it set flush with the fender?
Attached Thumbnails Widest Wheel Width on a stock LS430-brazen-550-si.jpg  
Old 08-03-09, 07:13 AM
awtrott
Rookie

Originally Posted by sojah
bless up ian,

for those wheel sizes you are asking about i would personally do like a 18x8.5 front and if the offset isn't rudeboy enough for you then add some spacers which when you go to lower the car can always be taken off if the width is cutting it close where as a rim width can't be changed if you find out when you lower it that it may be an issue which is something i foresee as a definite possibility here (if you lower it).

the stock rotor size is usually compared to the bbk (big brake kit) size. so when you hear dem say it will clear bbk then your good. i've never heard the specific details on physical measurements of the rotor or caliper size just the comparison to bbk size. be careful about this though because i've been looking a lot at wheels lately myself and noticed a couple people mentioning that they got burned on this. also make sure they are 114.3 bolt spacing and x5 lug pattern just in case you weren't already apprised of this knowledge
Obviously this mus bi a yaaad man.
Old 08-03-09, 07:27 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

^ ^ ^ actually i'm just a white guy who lived on some islands before, but i share a deep love for reggae music/ culture and the rastafari movement. i'm no greasy hippie though

i don't know about those wheels though, the fitment should be correct but the look might look better on a cadi but i guess i'd have to see em on the ls first, just going off of what i picture in the head.

Quick Reply: Widest Wheel Width on a stock LS430