LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

04 ls430 ac Smelling kinda funky after using it for a while

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-09, 10:21 PM
toantran99
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
Default 04 ls430 ac Smelling kinda funky after using it for a while

My AC is working fine, blowing really cold air. I would use it for about 30 minutes, then off the engine then go to lunch. After getting back, the ac would start up but it would funky for like 2 minutes before going back to normal. Any ideas?

Thanks
Vehilce has 104k
Old 07-28-09, 10:28 PM
Red Square
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

maybe try changing the cabin filter located in the lower glove box
Old 07-29-09, 05:29 AM
Tee

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Square
maybe try changing the cabin filter located in the lower glove box
Ditto!!!!!!!!
Old 07-29-09, 05:49 AM
playa3uhh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Definitely the cabin filter, need to change mine too!
Old 07-29-09, 03:39 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

I would change the cabin filter also.

Additionally, I would get some Lysol (spray), (LYSOL--not Febreeze nor Renuzit, etc!) and with the AC on and the FAN on HIGH, spray several good shots of Lysol from the OUTSIDE, into the air vents near the bottom of the windshield cowling (both sides), down by the wipers in their resting position.

The Lysol will disinfect and kill any mold, etc potentially growing in the air ducts and vents.

Also, another tidbit I swear by, and works, is NEVER to shut the fan OFF, ever! Basically, you always want to keep a small amount of air circulating throughout your vents. You don't need to run the A/C...just don't push the OFF button on the climate control.

When you click OFF, it obviously, totally shuts the fan off. Couple the fan not pushing ANY air thoughout the ducts, and any humidity or moisture whatsoever in your vents = the potential to grow funky!

Once you go funky, it takes a while to get straight..lol

disclaimer--i do not have any stock nor financial interest in Lysol nor Reckitt Benckiser, Inc.

Last edited by LS430inDE.; 07-31-09 at 01:52 PM.
Old 07-29-09, 11:19 PM
toantran99
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Thanks for the advice, I was thinking about changing the cabin airfilter but it's only been 15k miles.
Old 07-30-09, 07:31 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

The Lexus maintenance schedule suggests changing the cabin air filter every 10,000 miles. I have found that be about right.
Old 07-30-09, 10:34 AM
bigcory
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you do a search you'll find more on this.

Common issue with water in the system. When reading other posts, it was suggested to change the cabin filter (i'd take a look at it and see if it looks moldy or smelled back before doing it) and then to turn the car on and run the heater at it's highest setting for 15 minutes or so to help the system dry out.

As with the post above, leaving the system on auto was also suggested to help. Keeping air moving through the system helps keep it dry. One member received this suggestion from a Lexus Tech.

Best of luck!
Old 07-30-09, 12:16 PM
Tee

Def leave it on the recycle (Cabin & Outside air) button in "Auto" mode it keeps makes the filter last longer and keeps the smell away. Lexus tech told me the same too.
Old 07-30-09, 12:30 PM
beangrower
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i suggest better under arm deodorant. i keed. i keed.

like everyone mentioned above:
-check filter
-run heat for about 15min
-always keep fan on
-if using a/c...turn it off (not the fan) before reaching your destination to dry any condensation.

i tried the lysol trick. my whole car ended up smelling like lysol. took awhile to get that smell out. i've heard people using 1 part clorox to 10 part water...or even hydrogen peroxide instead of clorox...and spray into the vents under the windshield.
Old 07-30-09, 03:22 PM
xuserx04
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the same problem and for a while now. Its like a god dam "car cancer". If you dont do nothing it will just get worst. A lot worst. I never used clorox but did try Isopropyl alcohol mixed with water but it didnt do nothing. Changed filters every month. Nothing. Went to autozone and got some spray to clean A/C system, nothing. Only after spraying some lysol in the vents did the smell go away a lil bit.

Can someone explain this [QUOTE=beangrower;4723608]-if using a/c...turn it off (not the fan) before reaching your destination to dry any condensation.
QUOTE]
cuz maybe im stupid but every time i turn off a/c the whole system shuts off (no air inside the car at all) unless i press the button to have the air come in from the outside.
Old 07-30-09, 04:26 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

There's another posting on this subject. I remember that the best suggestion was never to shut the car down with the vents in recirculation mode. They suggested by leaving the vents in Outside it would allow the system to dry out.

The heat exchanger is constantely bathed in water from ambient air with moistue condensing on the exchanger. You can see this from the water that drips from the bottom of the car when stopping with the A/C running.

I tried the Lysol caper and it seemed to help me. I did it again a few weeks later. I used a whole can of Lysol and could see the fluid dripping from underneath the car while doing it. I haven't been able to train myself to set the air to Outside when I shut down the car.

I suggest you try the Lysol every week for a few weeks and see if that helps.
Old 07-30-09, 04:40 PM
Tee

Also try spraying Lysol in the return vent on the passenger side near the floor, I found that it works! I never tried the Lysol on the outside vents like LS430inDE and the others, I keep a can in the rear seat arm rest. (Perfect fit)
Old 07-31-09, 04:32 PM
hoonunya
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jayclapp
There's another posting on this subject. I remember that the best suggestion was never to shut the car down with the vents in recirculation mode. They suggested by leaving the vents in Outside it would allow the system to dry out.
A long time ago someone told me to not start and stop the car with the A/C on. I start the car and let it run, maybe 20 seconds before I turn on the A/C. I turn off the A/C before I shut down the car.
It it is in recirc, it switches to outside when I turn the A/C off.
You guys can tell me I shoudn't do that but I've convinced myself I'm saving compressors and/or belts.
Old 07-31-09, 05:44 PM
Tee

The Lexus Tech told me the A/C only kicks on after the car has been started not as the car is being started so their is no worry about the compressor.

Quick Reply: 04 ls430 ac Smelling kinda funky after using it for a while