LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

[quote thread] Dr. Colorchip thread writeup [/thread quote]

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-09, 05:58 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default [quote thread] Dr. Colorchip thread writeup [/thread quote]

someone (rolxusc400) in the neloc section posted up this link to a dr. colorchip thread on another lex site (i guess) and this shiz looks absolutely amazing.

this may be something for the detailing forums but i just wanted to share this info to some people (like myself) who may not ever check the detailing section and would benefit by this knowledge. i think i may get some of this stuff next week, but i already put some touch up paint in a few spots so it may be to late...?

http://my.is/forums/f171/dr-colorchi...w-pics-383566/

also same-ish thread

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/automotive-care-and-detailing/414403-dr-colorchip-diy-review-pics.html

Last edited by sojah; 07-30-09 at 08:50 AM.
Old 07-30-09, 06:09 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I got it a few weeks back and it works good. Not fantastic as what's shown on the site, but it does a much better job than touchup paint.

Basically, it's touch up paint. You apply the paint, compress it into the chip. Then once dry, you use the pink solvent supplied to rub away the excess. What you're basically doing is filling and smoothing the surface of the touchup. That way, it blend better than just a glob of touchup paint.

It's more for small to medium chips, not really that good for scratches or very large ships. Scratches, unless very deep, will just come right off in the smoothing step. Large chips, it won't fill up properly, but just colors over.

Anyway, I can vouch for it's legit formula and use. Not excellent, but very good.
Old 07-30-09, 06:32 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks ^ ^ ^, so what about a couple chips that i already globbed a little touch up paint in? is there any way to fix these with the dr colochip stuff??
Old 07-31-09, 07:27 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would say pick them off, then apply the dr. paint chip on. I saw that when I got my car detailed, the process took off several of the touched up areas, so I just Dr. Paint'd them. Now I wonder if detailing later will take the Dr. Paint off...