Who's right , the dealer or me?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-09, 08:25 AM
ultasax
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks Tee,

Originally Posted by Tee
When i bought my CPO car it only had a SmartKey & a valet key, I bought a valet off of ebay and another Smartkey from Sewell. My salesman programed both keys for a great price for me, I felt i did not need a wallet key since the Smartkey would always be in my pocket.

Great suggestion! If the dealer doesn't come through, I'll try E-bay and or Sewell. I'm sure the cost will be more reasonable then dealer prices.Much appreciated.
Old 08-03-09, 02:59 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Key from Sewill will be about $190, cut and done. You just need to bring it to Lexus to get it programmed. Sewill will not be able to program for you.

If Lexus CPO does not assure that you're getting all three keys, then CPO is junk. As I said, I got from non-Lexus and told them I was missing a master key and they went and got me one, no charge.
Old 08-03-09, 06:09 PM
ultasax
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks AlexusAnja

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
Key from Sewill will be about $190, cut and done. You just need to bring it to Lexus to get it programmed. Sewill will not be able to program for you.

If Lexus CPO does not assure that you're getting all three keys, then CPO is junk. As I said, I got from non-Lexus and told them I was missing a master key and they went and got me one, no charge.

Your non-Lexus dealer obviously has a responsible and helpful approach to these kind of issues. In the long run they are smart and will develope a good client list with loyalty. It was a holiday in Canada today and everything was closed , but I'm hoping to get to the Lexus dealer tommorow. I'm going to find out what their position is on this little problem and I'll report how it went to the forum.. Thanks again
Old 08-03-09, 08:33 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja

i wouldn't go that far... plus most other car manufactures don't have 3 plus keys anyways. they are just keys after all (plus master key for Ford for example is 5 bucks?)
Old 08-04-09, 07:50 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Look at the LEXUS CERTIFIED MECHANICAL CERTIFICATION INSPECTION Form for your car and see what they indicated. It says how many keys the car should have. The Lexus requirement according to the form is "Vehicle has 1 master key with remote entry (if applicable), and one valet key, flat key." Then there are boxes to check off to indicate if the condition is met, repair or replacement is needed, and a place for comments.
Old 08-04-09, 08:14 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 105 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by jayclapp
My 04 LS430 UL was a CPO. I just checked my keys. I have two master keys and one valet key. I didn't get the credit card key, but really don't care. Just discovered that I have carried they type key for my 02 SC400 since new and have never used. Gave it to my daughter who is now driving that car.
Just discovered I gave you bad info on my CPO 04 UL. Found that I also have a "credit Card" type key. It includes a mechanical key for doors and a chip key for ignition and start. I don't carry this thing as it's too fat for my wallet and had just stored it away.
Old 08-04-09, 01:31 PM
ultasax
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks 16TURBO

Originally Posted by I6turbo
Look at the LEXUS CERTIFIED MECHANICAL CERTIFICATION INSPECTION Form for your car and see what they indicated. It says how many keys the car should have. The Lexus requirement according to the form is "Vehicle has 1 master key with remote entry (if applicable), and one valet key, flat key." Then there are boxes to check off to indicate if the condition is met, repair or replacement is needed, and a place for comments.

Man, You should have been a lawyer, (hey! maybe you are) I checked the 131 point Lexus pre-owned quality assurance inspection worksheet. This was given to me on closing, but I never really looked at it. Listed under Item # 120 (catagory) windows and door locks operate as designed..... is the comment...All keys present,functioning..... Now this is an interesting wording. Does it mean (all keys, as in,' "that where original to this year and model", are present and functioning.... OR , All keys present, "as in ( whatever was turned in by previous owner, and are now present , are functioning???? I Don't know, I think I'm screwed on this one.... Like I said , It's a matter of principle at this point, and I'm just following through....I would hate to think that Lexus, (this is my 4th) is becoming as arrogant AS HANS.
Old 08-04-09, 02:29 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by debian
when I bought my LS it came with two regular keys and a valet key. The salesman only had one key in hand the one we used to test drive the car. Another salesman brought the other keys out to me. My salesman remarked ,"wow, you're lucky to get all the keys for your car."
So, it sounds like many people must not get all of the keys all the time.
I know it may feel funny but I don't think it is that big a deal. It is a used car.
Cheers,
Ian
There are "used cars" , then there are pre owned Lexus automobiles, quite a difference, I would expect the proper valet key when purchasing a Lexus!! CL members know the difference and expect a higher level of service and satisfaction
Old 08-04-09, 07:38 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tromly
There are "used cars" , then there are pre owned Lexus automobiles, quite a difference, I would expect the proper valet key when purchasing a Lexus!! CL members know the difference and expect a higher level of service and satisfaction
not going to happen... dealership are independently owned.

"All keys present, "as in ( whatever was turned in by previous owner, and are now present , are functioning????"
that is the one! not the first one. but basically you get 2 keys and CC key. End of story.
Old 08-05-09, 05:37 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Not saying that I would or would not push it if I were in the same circumstance, but I'd bet $500 that if I walked into either of the 3 Lexus dealers that I've dealt with and told them that I strongly felt that the car should have all the keys and I'd like them to provide the missing one, they'd put one in my hand in 30 minutes (or have it on order if it wasn't a simple matter of cutting a blank) and thank me for my business. (And of course it's not me -- they'd do the same for anyone else.)
Old 08-05-09, 10:01 AM
ultasax
Driver School Candidate

Default If I had bought this vehicle in Florida

Originally Posted by I6turbo
Not saying that I would or would not push it if I were in the same circumstance, but I'd bet $500 that if I walked into either of the 3 Lexus dealers that I've dealt with and told them that I strongly felt that the car should have all the keys and I'd like them to provide the missing one, they'd put one in my hand in 30 minutes (or have it on order if it wasn't a simple matter of cutting a blank) and thank me for my business. (And of course it's not me -- they'd do the same for anyone else.)

I deal exclusivley with J.M lexus in Margate FL for all my maint and service needs when I'm down south. They would not behave in such a 'petty' manner in this type of situation. I'm sure they would ,as you said (16turbo) put the key in my hand and thank me for my business. This whole thing has been kind of surprising to me, because as (TROMLY) offered in his post " This is a Lexus pre-owned vehicle, not a used car" I too feel that way. It will be up to the dealers to maintain a set of values and principals that continue to set Lexus apart and at an expected higher level. This is the way to keep the Lexus special image alive. My missing key thing is no big deal, I'm just, as I said a bit surprised at the dealers position. Again (everybody) thanks for all the great input....
Old 08-05-09, 10:35 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Again, not saying I'd necessarily do it (I'm sure it'd depend upon their attitude more than the mere fact of the missing key) but if you want to play hard-ball with them, you can hold their Lexus Satisfaction Survey review hostage. It's VERY important that dealers get good scores on those reviews (you should be receiving one in a couple of weeks based upon when you picked up your car), and if they know that they'll have to answer for a bad review, they'll much prefer to make you happy. Do you know if they are an Elite of Lexus dealer? If so, the Survey rating is even more important to them.
Old 08-06-09, 11:49 AM
ultasax
Driver School Candidate

WELL, WELL, WELL... "All's well that ends well". Got a call from my salesman at my Lexus dealer today. He has been able to get his boss to reverse his position on (THE VALET KEY).. They have ordered the key, and will call me when it arrives so I can come in and get it programed. The service fee for the programing will be at my expense, the daler will cover the cost of the "smart type valet key" $206.00 Canadian. The saleman apparantly went to bat for me, because he felt that my long standing relationship and repeat business waranted some consideration. So as far as I'm concerned, the dealer has redeemed itself. I guess you have to fight a little harder these days (for everything).This recession has gotten every industry super bottom line sensitive.Thanks to all on this great forum who helped me form and express a solid position, it is very much appreciated...... (not a lot of money, but a principle victory is very worthwhile as well.
Old 08-06-09, 11:53 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Well CONGRATS on getting some passed due CS!
Old 08-06-09, 11:59 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ultasax
WELL, WELL, WELL... "All's well that ends well". Got a call from my salesman at my Lexus dealer today. He has been able to get his boss to reverse his position on (THE VALET KEY).. They have ordered the key, and will call me when it arrives so I can come in and get it programed. The service fee for the programing will be at my expense, the daler will cover the cost of the "smart type valet key" $206.00 Canadian. The saleman apparantly went to bat for me, because he felt that my long standing relationship and repeat business waranted some consideration. So as far as I'm concerned, the dealer has redeemed itself. I guess you have to fight a little harder these days (for everything).This recession has gotten every industry super bottom line sensitive.Thanks to all on this great forum who helped me form and express a solid position, it is very much appreciated...... (not a lot of money, but a principle victory is very worthwhile as well.
[Hogwallop] Sorry Pete! I know we're kin, but they got this depression on. I got to do for me and mine. [/Hogwallop]

Congratulations on getting the key after all!