LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Who's right , the dealer or me?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-09, 11:48 AM
ultasax
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who's right , the dealer or me?

Just picked up my 2006 LS 430 with nav last week. "love it" "love it" & love it.
This is a low mileage 21000 miles just (off lease) vehicle, and I bought it as a Lexus certified pre-owned unit. Only on closing was I able to examine the the package containing the owners manuals for the car and the nav system YECH! etc, as well as the keys. I asked my salesman, where is the valet key?, and he offered, that the flat mechanical key housed in a rectangular credit card sized plastic clip-in affair, was the the valet key, and to be sure to keep it in my my wallet. Well, I didn't know, untill I read my owner's manual, that that is not the case, and that the (true) valet key was not given to me. I called and complained, and was told that they had handed over every thing that the previous operator turned in at the termination of the lease, and they are not responible for missing keys. Specifically, they are only responsible to the extent of providing 2 functioning (master key) sets? The car is pristine, and I'm thrilled with it, but I really need this valet function. I bought this from Canada's premier Lexus dealer, I wanted it so bad that I didn't fight too hard on the price...... Soooo, do I have a leg to stand on, or do I succumb to dealer power and fork over, a totally unexpected expense and swallow hard???? What do you'all think

P.S not to confuse anyone in this excellent body of Lexus folks. I know my Bio says Florida, but I am a retired Canadian snowbird, Lucky enough to winter in our Fla condo for 1/2 the year (the cold half). Looking forward to any council, support, and experience you could share with me...... thanks
Old 08-02-09, 11:57 AM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

since it is preowned, you're never going to get what you want EXACTLY...keys are bound to be missing and everything. the dealer will give you basically everything that the previous owner gave them, so if you really want those keys maybe you could contact the previous owner...which his info I doubt the dealership will give
Old 08-02-09, 12:41 PM
ultasax
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks Kaydee, and I hate to be a whiney old guy, but..

Originally Posted by Kaydee
since it is preowned, you're never going to get what you want EXACTLY...keys are bound to be missing and everything. the dealer will give you basically everything that the previous owner gave them, so if you really want those keys maybe you could contact the previous owner...which his info I doubt the dealership will give
If the sales guy would not have said that this (flat key) was the valet key, I would have insisted that the dealer own up to the ommission before handing over the check.... I see your point though, and appreciate your input, but this valet key thing is such a big part of my peace of mind, and I had made a specific point of it...I feel a bit deceived, it's more the principle of the thing.............Thanks again.
Old 08-02-09, 12:49 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

haha...yeah I would be like that too actually. Sometimes these dealership folks would just rather take the easy route than simply owning up to it.
Old 08-02-09, 01:05 PM
hoonunya
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're a new customer for the dealership and the salesman misled you.
You will have future business with the dealership and they already soured you to their way of doing business.
Talk to the manager of the dealership.
If the salesman had told you that they didn't have the valet key then it would have been your choice to take the car without the key. You didn't have that choice.
Old 08-02-09, 01:13 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't know about Canada, but if it's CPO, they're suppose to bring the vehicle up to original factory specs, which is why brakes and tires are replaced if they're below a certain amount of wear. CPO does not just mean they're checking to make sure things run, they're checking and saying that it's up to spec. and they will provide or fix all that is missing. The valet key you are right, is another actual key. The flat key is just an emergency key for if you get locked out or something.

Bring it up with the manager and tell him you're very disappointed with this transaction.
Old 08-02-09, 01:28 PM
xuserx04
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is a pic of both keys. Look for the one you have.
Pic 1: Regular Key with smart access. This key opens everything in the car.

Pic 2. Valet key. Only unlocks the car and the glove compartment. No smart access. Cant even open your trunk with this key.

Last edited by xuserx04; 08-02-09 at 01:31 PM.
Old 08-02-09, 01:33 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

My son and I bought my daughter a used government-issue Dodge minivan a couple years ago from my mechanic. When she and her family moved in with us this spring, I noticed she was using the valet key. She said that was the only one that came with the van. I mentioned this to my mechanic and he said to have her stop in and he'd get her a correct key - no charge. This is from a used car dealership / mechanic shop, on a $7K used Dodge minivan, 2 years later. I think your Lexus dealer can pony up.
Old 08-02-09, 03:17 PM
debian
Driver

when I bought my LS it came with two regular keys and a valet key. The salesman only had one key in hand the one we used to test drive the car. Another salesman brought the other keys out to me. My salesman remarked ,"wow, you're lucky to get all the keys for your car."
So, it sounds like many people must not get all of the keys all the time.
I know it may feel funny but I don't think it is that big a deal. It is a used car.
Cheers,
Ian
Old 08-02-09, 04:05 PM
ultasax
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks to all!!

Thanks for all the great input, What a wonderfull forum. I'm so glad I found this site and joined up. Thanks to all. Geared with the many responses, I can now make the logical decision. I will try to get the key, but if I fail, I now realise it isn't that uncommon even in higher end pre-owned circles. I think my expectations where a little off.....
Old 08-02-09, 04:15 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I did not get my LS from Lexus, but from an "off lease" company, and when I bought my LS it didn't come with one of the main keys. I told the salesperson and she promptly put in the order for the replacement. Not a single question asked. They had thought I was given both main keys already.
Old 08-02-09, 06:45 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 105 Likes on 85 Posts

My 04 LS430 UL was a CPO. I just checked my keys. I have two master keys and one valet key. I didn't get the credit card key, but really don't care. Just discovered that I have carried they type key for my 02 SC400 since new and have never used. Gave it to my daughter who is now driving that car.
Old 08-02-09, 08:38 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

CPO doesn't mean you get all the keys, I think 2 keys is required... plus I'm sure the valet key wasn't the only thing the salesman was wrong about... salesman consistently wrong about lot of things, fact of (car) life. Manager's know salesman aren't perfect, therefore they blow off mistakes like this and you (customer) have to suffer (most times). End of story, unless the manager is really cool, they will do not thing. Be sure if you do decide to ask for extra key, that you are nice and pleasant at the same time, no attitude.
Old 08-03-09, 07:32 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

When i bought my CPO car it only had a SmartKey & a valet key, I bought a valet off of ebay and another Smartkey from Sewell. My salesman programed both keys for a great price for me, I felt i did not need a wallet key since the Smartkey would always be in my pocket.
Old 08-03-09, 08:20 AM
ultasax
Driver School Candidate

Smile I couldn't agree more with your "attitude" point.

Originally Posted by KILLERGS4
CPO doesn't mean you get all the keys, I think 2 keys is required... plus I'm sure the valet key wasn't the only thing the salesman was wrong about... salesman consistently wrong about lot of things, fact of (car) life. Manager's know salesman aren't perfect, therefore they blow off mistakes like this and you (customer) have to suffer (most times). End of story, unless the manager is really cool, they will do not thing. Be sure if you do decide to ask for extra key, that you are nice and pleasant at the same time, no attitude.
That's what the salesman said, that they are only required to turn over 2 functioning master keys. I have been at the receiving end of "attitude" more times than I care to remember (as I'm sure we all have) It hurts & gets you nothing. My intention is to ask politely, remind them of my long standing purchasing and leasing history with them, ( this is my 4th vehicle with this dealer) Plus many many thousands of dollars spent on maintenance, service and repair. I will simply & pleasantly say that I think it would be fair if they would provide this key, and it would be very much appreciated if they do this for me. Thanks for the input killergGS4.

Quick Reply: Who's right , the dealer or me?