LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Throttle problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-09, 10:10 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Throttle problem

Over the last couple of days I had noticed something weird with my car under low acceleration. If I pull off from a light slowly and make my way up to 55- 60mph the car drops RPM and hesitates very briefly (like a millisecond -enough to feel it) then catches itself and the power comes back. This happens maybe once or twice on my way to the speed limit. I didn't notice it until I filled up at a Local Gas station.

It has also done this if I set the cruise control anywhere from 55-65mph and are going up a steep grade. If I give the car a little more gas then I do not have a problem. It only seems to be under very low acceleration.

Could my TPS be going out, or could it be something else? Maybe some bad fuel?
Old 08-03-09, 11:55 PM
xsbc63x
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are you sure your not feeling the converter locking and unlocking?
Old 08-04-09, 02:45 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by xsbc63x
are you sure your not feeling the converter locking and unlocking?
I'm pretty sure that is not what I'm feeling. Sometimes it'll happen 3-4 times within a couple seconds (which can be felt throughout the cabin). Very noticeable if I have a load. I had 5 adults in the car over the weekend and following a friend, I would realize going up hills, and occasionally gradually speeding up to keep pace would result in this strange issue. It's almost like the throttle cuts in and out - but only at low/normal acceleration.
Old 08-04-09, 06:18 AM
otcviper
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder if this is the same issue I've felt. To me, it almost feels like there is a sticky throttle linkage or something. I'm not sure if the LS430 has a throttle cable or if it's drive by wire, but either way it feels odd. If you lean into the pedal a little more, does it feel like it suddenly clears up and proceeds without hesitation?
Old 08-04-09, 06:20 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I first thought it could be the torque converter locking until you said something about that. Maybe you should clean the maf and drain and refill tranny fluid if it hasn't been done recently.

I've had a similar jolt feeling before, but that was due to my negative battery terminal coming off the battery while i was driving (lack of grounding).
Old 08-04-09, 07:33 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by otcviper
I wonder if this is the same issue I've felt. To me, it almost feels like there is a sticky throttle linkage or something. I'm not sure if the LS430 has a throttle cable or if it's drive by wire, but either way it feels odd. If you lean into the pedal a little more, does it feel like it suddenly clears up and proceeds without hesitation?
Yes, if I give it more fuel, it proceeds without hesitation. Most of the time if it jolts, I just put it down enough to put it down a gear and it doesn't do it for awhile. This just happened recently so Im just confused as to why it just appeared.

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 08-04-09, 08:01 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Gas with moisture in it or gas with a lot of sediment that clogs your fuel filter can cause these symptoms. Did you fill up at a station that is not your usual stop or one that was having their underground tank filled while you were there?
Old 09-08-09, 04:08 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

This problem is getting worse. I was sitting at a light and pushed the gas to make a left turn and the whole throttle cut out, and it started skipping across the road until I got to 15mph. I then floored it to get it moving and out of the way of oncoming traffic, and no go. so I let off of the gas and pushed it down once more and luckily it took off. Came close to an accident because my car wouldn't move. Sad to say this ride has been pissing me off lately.

I'm not even sure where to begin.
Old 09-08-09, 04:46 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

It sounds like the way traction control worked on my SRX on slippery or unpaved roads. I always turned it off on unpaved roads.
Old 09-08-09, 06:39 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by caddyowner
It sounds like the way traction control worked on my SRX on slippery or unpaved roads. I always turned it off on unpaved roads.
I actually had VCS off at that point in time.
Old 09-28-09, 07:42 PM
capture1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had this same issue of what feels like a hesitation under low acceleration. Happens ususally early in the morning when pulling out of my complex. It comes and goes but hasn't happened in a while. I did also notice recently a decrease in gas milage and put some Techron to the gas to clean out the lines. Had to put two bottles through and so far I haven't noticed the hesiation but it could just be a coincidence.
Old 09-29-09, 06:35 AM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

I'd go for the obvious---the fuel filter.

Not sure how many miles you have on the fuel filter, but maybe it needs changing?

Not sure time/mileage interval on replacement on the LS, but in my 02 RL, it wasn't even recommended changing AT ALL unless there was a known problem with the filter.