LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

What do you think of this price for 2004 LS430?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-09, 12:35 PM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by sojah
my carfax was clean but the cars definitely shows signs of being re-painted in 2 spots for sure and i didn't find this out until after i purchased it. i even had the car inspected by a nearby lexus dealership (told them i was thinking of purchasing it from some non lex dealer down the road) and they didn't even tell me about this re-paint stuff.
Yep, carfax and the like are only reliable in "one direction" -- if they say something is wrong, it probably is. If they say the vehicle is "clear of issues," it doesn't necessarily mean anything.
Old 08-11-09, 02:42 PM
jslionheart1
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw you are from IL. If you are near Chicago, McGrath (downtown) performed a pre-purchase inspection on a 1999 LS 400 for $150 + tax.

It is a bit worrisome that the buyer won't let you do the pre-purchase inspection. It probably means nothing with the car having 13K miles, but I'd definitely kick the tires a bit. Maybe offer him $25,300 or something since he won't let you do the inspection?

Check the VIN numbers on each door, hood, etc., ask Lexus to run the service history (though it probably won't show much), and let err rip!

Good luck.
Old 08-11-09, 03:26 PM
shpatel
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jslionheart1
I saw you are from IL. If you are near Chicago, McGrath (downtown) performed a pre-purchase inspection on a 1999 LS 400 for $150 + tax.

It is a bit worrisome that the buyer won't let you do the pre-purchase inspection. It probably means nothing with the car having 13K miles, but I'd definitely kick the tires a bit. Maybe offer him $25,300 or something since he won't let you do the inspection?

Check the VIN numbers on each door, hood, etc., ask Lexus to run the service history (though it probably won't show much), and let err rip!

Good luck.
I'm actually out in the NW suburbs in Hoffman Estates. I called Woodfield Lexus and they told me the price would be $130. The guy whos selling it to me is damn near 75 years old and says that he's always in Florida now and he barely drives the thing. I kind of believe the guy seeing as how the car is in near perfect condition and the interior is flawless and doesn't even look like its been used. I'm going to bite the bullet and buy it but I don't know of any Lexus techs or even any mechanics I could bring along for the inspection. If anybody knows of any mechanics, I'd be willing to pay. I'm going to see the car tomorrow AM so if anybody knows any techs please let me know.

Oh and before I forget, this forum is amazing and I'm glad to have joined. Thanks again for all the help you guys have given.
Old 08-11-09, 08:33 PM
adorjr
Driver School Candidate

Default Ask help from the Chicago Lexus Forum

I used to live in the West Burbs but now in KC. For assistance, try asking the members of the Chicago Lexus Forum; they are Lexus enthusiasts and will know a lot about the Lexus. Of course, the best scenario is to take the car to the Lexus dealer; the next best will be a Lexus tech after work as another member suggested.
Old 08-12-09, 10:52 AM
shpatel
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone for your help. I am now the proud owner of an 04 LS430 and I can see what all the hype is about. This car is silky smooth and oh so powerful. I'm heading to the dealership right now to get my oil changed.
Old 08-12-09, 01:13 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by shpatel
Thanks everyone for your help. I am now the proud owner of an 04 LS430 and I can see what all the hype is about. This car is silky smooth and oh so powerful. I'm heading to the dealership right now to get my oil changed.
Congratulations!
Post some pics asap.
Old 08-12-09, 04:42 PM
jslionheart1
Rookie

Congratulations!

I second the pics request.

If you ever want to get the bumper touched up, I'd recommend calling Peter at Finish Line. He's located near Naperville, I think. I've used him before, and he does great work at a great price. Feel free to PM me for his contact info.
Old 08-12-09, 07:53 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

CarFax only tells you if your insurance company reported it to the state. In many places, that only occurs if there is bodily injury. My '01 honda was t-boned at low speed, entire rear inner & outer quarter panels were replaced (spliced-in, so no Bondo job and the magnet trick won't find anything). The guy who hit me's insurance company paid for it (my insurance company first paid for it on my policy and was reimbursed by the other company), yet the CarFax is clean.
Old 08-12-09, 09:33 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Congrats!!

CONGRATS ON THE PURCHASE!!!!!! i 3rd the request for pics!
Old 08-13-09, 10:21 AM
shpatel
Driver School Candidate

Pictures will be up soon. I'm detailing it as we speak. So far only one issue has crept up with the car. When I turn it on in the morning, there is a loud squealing sound coming from the engine that goes away after the car starts to warm up. After that, the sound is completely gone even if you restart it.

I called the Lexus dealership and the service guy told me that it sounded like "the fan belt is flipping and needs to be replaced". I have no clue what that means and he also told me that it wasn't covered under my powertrain warranty. Total charge would be $150.00. What do you guys think? Anyone have this problem before?
Old 08-13-09, 11:40 AM
danxp
Driver

sounds like it has more than 13k miles...

the dealer should replace that free of charge regardless...
Old 08-13-09, 01:00 PM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

pre-mature belt wear? hmmmm. I'd hang out with the Lex tech and see what else shows up under the hood.
Old 08-13-09, 03:06 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by shpatel
Pictures will be up soon. I'm detailing it as we speak. So far only one issue has crept up with the car. When I turn it on in the morning, there is a loud squealing sound coming from the engine that goes away after the car starts to warm up. After that, the sound is completely gone even if you restart it.

I called the Lexus dealership and the service guy told me that it sounded like "the fan belt is flipping and needs to be replaced". I have no clue what that means and he also told me that it wasn't covered under my powertrain warranty. Total charge would be $150.00. What do you guys think? Anyone have this problem before?
Rubber parts like belts and hoses dry up overtime when sitting idle. So its normal to have small issues like that with a low mileage car that was sitting unused for an extended amount of time.

However, I recently changed the belt on mine. I got the Goodyear Gatorback belt for $30 (extremely smooth) and less then 10minues of my time. I've always used the gatorback on my cars and it has always impressed me for its smooth operation and noticeable reduction in vibration.

Old 08-13-09, 03:38 PM
shpatel
Driver School Candidate

So do you guys think it is the fan belt based on what I've described?
Old 08-13-09, 03:39 PM
shpatel
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
Rubber parts like belts and hoses dry up overtime when sitting idle. So its normal to have small issues like that with a low mileage car that was sitting unused for an extended amount of time.

However, I recently changed the belt on mine. I got the Goodyear Gatorback belt for $30 (extremely smooth) and less then 10minues of my time. I've always used the gatorback on my cars and it has always impressed me for its smooth operation and noticeable reduction in vibration.

Do I need any special tools? I can do basic work on car but have never changed out the belt.

Quick Reply: What do you think of this price for 2004 LS430?