LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

What do you think of this price for 2004 LS430?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-09, 02:52 PM
shpatel
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you think of this price for 2004 LS430?

2004 LS430 with Navigation and ML and smart key access with 13,500 miles on it. Almost perfect condition except for a small rash on the front bumper. Carfax report is clean.

Price is $25,750. What do you guys think?
Old 08-10-09, 02:59 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Price is good, but not great. As reference, I got my 2004 last year in Oct. with 30K and it's Custom Luxury for $28K. I think $23K for your car is about right.
Old 08-10-09, 03:18 PM
shpatel
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
Price is good, but not great. As reference, I got my 2004 last year in Oct. with 30K and it's Custom Luxury for $28K. I think $23K for your car is about right.
The guy that wants to sell it showed me that carmax is offering him $25,000 for it. In fact we actually bumped into each other at carmax and he overheard me talking about the LS430. At the time, carmax was out test driving his car. I'm still confused as to what to do.
Old 08-10-09, 04:06 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

with only 13K, its defiantly priced well.
Old 08-10-09, 04:49 PM
shpatel
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
with only 13K, its defiantly priced well.
I just called up the guy and told him that I would buy it at this price.
Now my next question is do I need to have it inspected? Also anything I should watch out for when going for a test drive before I give him the money?
Old 08-10-09, 07:10 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by shpatel
2004 LS430 with Navigation and ML and smart key access with 13,500 miles on it. Almost perfect condition except for a small rash on the front bumper. Carfax report is clean.

Price is $25,750. What do you guys think?
It is a good price. Finding such low mileage cars is a miracle by itself and deserves some premium. I would have bought it at this price. Get it checked out regardless. Another $120-150 at the dealer won't kill you.
Old 08-10-09, 07:31 PM
shpatel
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BMW7_LS430
It is a good price. Finding such low mileage cars is a miracle by itself and deserves some premium. I would have bought it at this price. Get it checked out regardless. Another $120-150 at the dealer won't kill you.
So can I just take it to the nearest Lexus dealership and tell them to inspect the vehicle? What should I tell them to inspect.
Old 08-11-09, 05:48 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Once over

So can I just take it to the nearest Lexus dealership and tell them to inspect the vehicle? What should I tell them to inspect.
Just tell them you're getting this vehicle inspected for a pre-purchase and to do just a "once over" and check for any issues. I would say the charge will be more towards $200.

As for your own driving, check the usual that all windows work (one press up and down), brakes don't squeek (they shouldn't with only 13K), tires don't wobble. I would worry that actually with such low miles, that the car may have sat around awhile doing nothing and the tires may have gone out of round.

Low miles is good, if it was driven frequently, albeit few miles at a time. Just hope it wasn't driven like 13K the first year and just sat for the next four years in the sun.

Anyway, trust your gut feeling when you drive it, and if you feel odd about anything, bring it up. You'll enjoy the car for many many years if it's a good car.
Old 08-11-09, 07:32 AM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Call your local dealers and tell them you want to do a complete pre-purchase inspection. Get quotes. Many times dealers have large difference in the price. I never understood why.

Just for the records, I took inspection quotes when I bought mine but did not do the inspection. I just relied on the Carmax inspection report. I just did not have time otherwise I would have.
Old 08-11-09, 10:09 AM
shpatel
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BMW7_LS430
Call your local dealers and tell them you want to do a complete pre-purchase inspection. Get quotes. Many times dealers have large difference in the price. I never understood why.

Just for the records, I took inspection quotes when I bought mine but did not do the inspection. I just relied on the Carmax inspection report. I just did not have time otherwise I would have.
So I just called the owner and told him I wanted to get it inspected at the lexus dealership and he said he did not want the vehicle to leave his property. He said that I should just go by the carmax report. Should I be worried or is the carmax report reliable? I've bought new cars all my life so I'm a newbie when it comes to used vehicles. Any input would be appreciated since I'm picking up the vehicle tomorrow morning.
Old 08-11-09, 10:53 AM
Tee

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

I don't understand what the big deal is, if a potential buyer is serious about buying the car and want another opinion then why not?! Sounds fishy to me, carfax will not show everything only what has been reported.

i.e.: Car was in an accident, owner has it fixed on his own vs. reporting it to the insurance the accident will not show on the carfax report.

This guy may have something to hide, that a real inspection my out him on.
Old 08-11-09, 11:00 AM
debian
Driver

I think the car should have been a little cheaper. I think that the mileage is great however on these cars once you are under 70,000 they are all pretty much the same as they are so reliable.
My Custom Luxury in immaculate condition with only 35,000miles, Lexus CPO, was $26,500. That was in the beginning of the summer. I think the price on these cars seems to have gone up a little bit. When I bought the dealer was calling me and running after me for the sale. Now from what I seem to read and hear it has changed. The word is out and people want the LS430 now.
Carmax does that no haggle thing. I guess they have to make money too. Not a bad price but regardless you are gettin a great car with hardly any miles.
cheers,
Ian
PS befriend a lexus service person and take him over to carmax with you...slip him $40 for the trouble.

Last edited by debian; 08-11-09 at 11:04 AM.
Old 08-11-09, 12:21 PM
shpatel
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Tee
I don't understand what the big deal is, if a potential buyer is serious about buying the car and want another opinion then why not?! Sounds fishy to me, carfax will not show everything only what has been reported.

i.e.: Car was in an accident, owner has it fixed on his own vs. reporting it to the insurance the accident will not show on the carfax report.

This guy may have something to hide, that a real inspection my out him on.
So you don't think I should rely on the carmax report that said everything was in working condition? God I hate buying cars
Old 08-11-09, 12:32 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my carfax was clean but the cars definitely shows signs of being re-painted in 2 spots for sure and i didn't find this out until after i purchased it. i even had the car inspected by a nearby lexus dealership (told them i was thinking of purchasing it from some non lex dealer down the road) and they didn't even tell me about this re-paint stuff.
Old 08-11-09, 12:33 PM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Sounds like a very reasonable price to me if the car is in the condition one would expect with 13K miles. Do you know anyone you could take with you to check out the car? Can you pay one of the Lexus techs to go check it out after work?

Quick Reply: What do you think of this price for 2004 LS430?