LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Would you CERTIFY this LS430?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-09, 05:58 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Would you CERTIFY this LS430?

It really is amazing what Lexus sells on their lots. I found a car for sale that obviously needs alot of TLC, bondo and paint. Do you think this car will end up being a certified Lexus vehicle? After the reconditioning... of course.
Old 08-13-09, 05:59 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Default Added image

image attached
Attached Thumbnails Would you CERTIFY this LS430?-img_2124_edit.jpg  
Old 08-13-09, 07:41 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

As long as it has a clean carfax, Im sure it will be once they fix the trunk.

And I'm also sure that they didn't buy this car. Someone probably traded in for another car because they obviously damaged this one.
Old 08-13-09, 07:46 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Once repaired, it could be certified, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase it, after all a dented trunk lid is no big deal!
Old 08-13-09, 07:52 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Originally Posted by tromly
Once repaired, it could be certified, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase it, after all a dented trunk lid is no big deal!
I like the way you think... I'm considering buying this car and the dealer has disclosed that some repairs and reconditions will be taking place. I've heard from both Lexus and non-Lexus dealers that over 50% of used cars have had paint and/or body work. Guess that is why we pay so much for insurance these days.
Old 08-13-09, 08:27 AM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Typically Lexus dealers would keep the good cars and sell others to auctions. Now, If they get a buyer before auction people buy it, they will sell it.
Old 08-13-09, 08:37 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

As long as it's repaired, why not? It works to your advantage since you can haggle down the price knowing it had a bender before. As long as the paint matches, the gaps are even, and trunk lid closes perfectly, I dont see why this car wouldn't be certified. If the car has frame damage..then that's another story.
Old 08-13-09, 10:12 AM
Tee

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

Like the others said why not?

Long as the Lexus dealer dose what is required by CPO standards, the LS430 you posted should be good to go! I know i would buy it once it is up to par without question.
Old 08-13-09, 03:29 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

In this particular case, they will replace it with a new trunk cover paint and sell. I doubt they would CPO it, but then again, seeing what some dealers try to pass off as a CPO now a days, i wouldn't put it past them.

Problem usually lies with mismatched painting, and most importantly frame damage. Frame damage being the biggest and most dangerous since the car will no longer absorb impacts in the likelihood of a collision as it once did. Not only that, but drivablity suffers quite a bit with the slightest of frame misalignment.

So as long as you can make sure it was just a trunk cover (for example), and the paint matched well, then you shouldn't have any problems to worry about.

Personally, i dislike cars that have been repaired because i've seen how the repair process can become a problem of its own like forgetting to connect wires, which can cause electrical nightmares that are almost impossible to trace.

Last edited by GRAND_LS 4; 08-13-09 at 03:32 PM.
Old 08-13-09, 05:27 PM
airtime
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I work next to a BMW dealer. Every day a mobile paint truck comes rolling in fixing dings, nicks and scratches on the cars in their lot. Also, very ofter, a mobile wheel repair truck also shows up to recondition the curbed wheels from trade ins and loaners. I'm pretty sure they would certified those cars after the works been done on them. As long as no frame damage, it would be OK.

And for those of you who will say they would never buy a car that's been painted or in an accident, you probably already have but don't know it

Last edited by airtime; 08-14-09 at 07:22 PM.
Old 08-14-09, 05:11 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DDLexus
...I've heard from both Lexus and non-Lexus dealers that over 50% of used cars have had paint and/or body work. Guess that is why we pay so much for insurance these days.
Try more like 100% have had paint work on bumpers before being resold. The bumpers are always repainted to cover up any rash, chips, etc. Nothing leave a reputable dealership without being touched up or something.
Old 08-14-09, 03:32 PM
CG lover
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my 05 is as clean as they come had to have some paint work,, was following an 18 wheeler and it blew a recap tire that came flying across the hood,, the repair center is where the BMW & Benz & Lexus all go for paint work,, they matched the flint mica and you cannot see or tell it was ever painted,, I'm very picky and was really impressed,, they even wiped everything under the hood just to be sure there was no dust remaining,,

if & when I sell the car the next buyer would never know but I will inform them,,

Derry
Old 08-14-09, 07:39 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

looks like crystal white... a color VERY hard to match...
(good opportunity to change the Gold package back to Chrome)
Old 08-14-09, 08:41 PM
bigcory
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't do it unless you can REALLY use it to your advantage to get a good price.

You'll always know that work was done to the trunk and you'll always think about it. Or at least I know I would.

If your spending the money, spend the money. (says he with the really to perfect to be price on a LS that seems to clean to be...)
Old 08-15-09, 08:58 PM
AYEmike
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol buy that ls, looks good to go and you can chrome the trunk bar on that wrecked trunk lid and sell it lolololololol. gl.

Quick Reply: Would you CERTIFY this LS430?