LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

smart key not functioning properly... help please...

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-09, 04:56 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default smart key not functioning properly... help please...

as of yesterday afternoon my door unlock pressure handle smart key things wont unlock unless i hit the unlock on the key less entry key fob thing, and also the little square lock buttons on each handle don't lock the car either.

the car will still start without the key and it does in fact detect the key in my pocket so i figured it can't be completely not functioning. and the trunk will still open when i hit the little hidden trunk button but the doors wont unlock and lock via the smart key stuff. also the side mirror puddle lights wont light up when i walk up to the car and don't even turn on until i hit the unlock on the key fob.

has this happened to anyone??

i also turned off the smart key thing via the little button by my knee, then the keyless start wouldn't work, then i pressed the button again and the keyless start works again but still no door lock or unlock via the smartkey.

any thoughts??
Old 08-17-09, 09:26 AM
shpatel
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sojah
as of yesterday afternoon my door unlock pressure handle smart key things wont unlock unless i hit the unlock on the key less entry key fob thing, and also the little square lock buttons on each handle don't lock the car either.

the car will still start without the key and it does in fact detect the key in my pocket so i figured it can't be completely not functioning. and the trunk will still open when i hit the little hidden trunk button but the doors wont unlock and lock via the smart key stuff. also the side mirror puddle lights wont light up when i walk up to the car and don't even turn on until i hit the unlock on the key fob.

has this happened to anyone??

i also turned off the smart key thing via the little button by my knee, then the keyless start wouldn't work, then i pressed the button again and the keyless start works again but still no door lock or unlock via the smartkey.

any thoughts??
I had this same problem when I first got my car and what I did was change out the battery in the key fob. That solved the problem, see if that works.
Old 08-17-09, 10:00 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Battery

Originally Posted by shpatel
I had this same problem when I first got my car and what I did was change out the battery in the key fob. That solved the problem, see if that works.
I was just thinking that. Change the easiest and cheapest first, then move on up if necessary. Since the car seems to detect you once you're inside the car, the batter is probably low and so not putting out a strong enough signal when you're outside.

Give that a try and see how it goes.
Old 08-17-09, 10:13 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

word, thanks guys. but also the lock and unlock on the key fob still work fine even from a few yards away, and the trunk release button. but this is definitely the cheapest fix like you guys mentioned. any idea what size battery anyone?
Old 08-17-09, 10:18 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I posted a thread a while back about my dissatisfaction with the "smart" key and some (but not all) of the screwy things it was doing. I eventually disabled the entire system because it was so annoying. And BTW, I tried a new battery in the key and that didn't change mine. THEN, I had the dealer re-program it, and and it worked fine after that -- to the point that I might actually call it "semi-smart" now. Hopefully the new battery will fix yours though.
Old 08-17-09, 11:22 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

how much was the dealer reprogramming it route?? also, did this fix it completely since, and was it a quick in and out visit??
Old 08-17-09, 11:36 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

It's a short process once they get on it, but I guess it depends on whether they can get right on it. I think it's normally $50 at that dealership, but they didn't even charge me, which I thought was an excellent value.
Old 08-17-09, 12:10 PM
shpatel
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sojah
word, thanks guys. but also the lock and unlock on the key fob still work fine even from a few yards away, and the trunk release button. but this is definitely the cheapest fix like you guys mentioned. any idea what size battery anyone?
Its the lithium 2032 size. You can pick it up in the jewellery department at wal-mart.
Old 08-17-09, 12:46 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by shpatel
Its the lithium 2032 size. You can pick it up in the jewellery department at wal-mart.
or target, cuz somehow there is a lack of wallmarts in the DMV (DC, MD, VA) area.

do you have to take out that little screw to open it up, or just pry it apart as is??

Last edited by sojah; 08-17-09 at 03:37 PM.
Old 08-17-09, 03:35 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

so when i got home today i once again tried to open the doors via the smart key handle approach and no dice, then tried to lock the doors via the little square buttons on the door handles and kept hearing the long beep that tells you that a door is open or something. i thought this was obviously incorrect so walked around the car opening up all the doors and slamming them shut with a little force (not to much though ) and sure enough i guess one of the back doors wasn't registering that it had closed all the way somehow, although the doors were technically all closed. well my super duper smart key is working again. yeah guess it fooled me huh??

thanks for the inputs, but you can consider this myster solved, and thankfully for cheaper than the silly dealership would have charged.

i can hear it now:

"Well Mr Robinson we checked all the cars electrical components and really couldn't figure out why it was acting the way it did, but don't worry it is working properly now, after we reflashed the smart key's internal computer sensors. We are going to have to charge you for the 90 mins you sat in our nice chairs though but not to worry because we will have her washed up and cleaned up and ready for you to get out of hear in about 10 minutes. How does that sound??"

yeah seriously...