LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Is "over maintenance" a waste of $

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-09, 05:56 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by I6turbo
What chu talking about, Willis!? I cold-brew my own expresso, make my own dark chocolate syrup, keep it all in the fridge, and make my own Venti Iced Mochas at home every AM for about $.45 cents each.
thats funny, so you make them 20 oz's every time do you???
Old 08-20-09, 06:56 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by sojah
thats funny, so you make them 20 oz's every time do you???
I hate to admit it, but I'm up to a 32-oz. cup now, but at least I don't fill it all the way up, and of course there's the ice. But I also hit it with about 4 or 5 ounces of the cold brew many days, so there's enough caffine to cross your eyes.
Old 08-20-09, 07:44 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

yeah thats a lot of caffeine right there. i don't feel so bad about my 2 (large-ish) cups of coffee every morning now. i was just joking about the venti and its supposed definition of 20oz in i-talian.
Old 08-20-09, 08:05 AM
CG lover
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the Oil Companies love those die hards sticking to the 3,000 mile oil change,,

30 years ago when oil was not much more than oil out of the ground it made sense for the 3k change, even Arnol Palmer recommended it for his tractor back then but not with todays oil,, the Mobil 1 in my 430 at 3K still looks as clean as it did the day it went in,, even at 6K when I change it there is very little darkness to it and far cleaner than my wifes turbo bug is at 3K on hers,,

guess the Beemers and Benz that are running around till the middle teens for oil changes are in doom city and will never see 30K on the odometer as their engines will be sludge to death even though that is what the mfgs recommend,,

I believe in keeping my cars in top condition but I like spending my extra cash on other goodies in lieu of more oil changes,,

Derry
Old 08-20-09, 08:19 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

If you really want to see how long your oil will be good for, get a used oil analysis. Some members are able to get around 10k miles before their next oil change. Filter change is a different story.

3000 miles interval is overkill unless you do major stop and go throughout the day.
Old 08-20-09, 09:45 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

i get my regular oil changed out every 5k cuz i drive about 500 miles a week so this is pretty much every 10 weeks like clock work. this even seems like a lot of oil changes to me but i don't think i would let it go much farther than this 5k before changing. i also drive like 85% highway without stopping & going (thankfully).
Old 08-20-09, 10:15 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Some asked how many people own a car past 150K. I've owned every car that could last that long, past 200K. I still have a '92 Integra that has 215K. My RX is now 125K and I don't foresee changing that any time soon. LS I'm keeping until the engine and transmission falls off.

Just FYI, I change my own oil. Someone quoted me saying the dealers near me don't charge any less than $150, that was just reference for the thread. I'm not doing a synthetic oil change for $150 when I can do myself for $27 and 30 minutes of my time. Takes me 35 min. just to drive to the nearest dealership...

Talk about wasteful, having a car for just 100K nowadays is wasteful, of both the car, money, and financial savings. There was some article in I think Readers Digest, or something like that, that went into how much you could save by driving a car past 150K and it came out to a few thousand dollars.

Anyway, X-CELSIOR !!!!
Old 08-20-09, 10:28 AM
honeygee2
Pole Position

A lot of cars now have oil maintainence lights giving you the percentage of oil life left. In most cases you will not get a reminder until at least 10000 miles in normal driving conditions.

Having said that , one more point. I have a honda ST1300 motorcycle which redlines at 8400 rpms...recommended oill change from honda is 8000 miles. My other bike is a kawasaki vulcan 500...recommended oil service 6000 miles and that revs to about 10000 rpms. I follow the lexus service advice and do mine on the 5000 mile mark. I'm not sure about the rest of the navi cars but recently I was in a remote corner of Pa and needed an oil change. Pulled up dealer list on the navi and got the local toyota dealer's (30 miles away) name and address. Went there and for 24.95 the did the oil change and washed the car. Great job..Shultes Toyota in Bradsford Pa.
Old 08-20-09, 03:07 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

PA from Florida, that's a long drive for a $25 oil change.

Was it a special they were having? I get e-mails for service calls and oil change I've seen cheapest was $34.95 from dealership, which ain't bad.
Old 08-20-09, 08:00 PM
honeygee2
Pole Position

The 24.95 was the going price for the oil service from toyota. Don't forget this is a little town in northwest Pa and I'm sure their overhead is low compared to other big city dealers. And just clarify I was up there on vacation fo a month. As a matter of fact I put a trailer hitch on the 430 and towed a 5X8 utility trailer up there with my motorcycle on it. Car went 4250 miles and the bike 2000 miles in 4 weeks. Great trip. The car is so comfortable I drove it straight through coming home..22 hours.
Old 08-20-09, 08:08 PM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

FYI, speaking of FL Toyota dealers, I heard from a reliable source that a number of the dealers (not sure if it's all dealers or not, but probably not) in the Southeast Toyota region (FL, GA, SC, NC, I forget which other states SET covers) will be running a "service clinic" again this Fall with $14.95 oil changes and $.99 tire rotations. Anyone interested keep their eyes open for dealership signs or coupons in the mail.
Lexus owners clipping those coupons!
Old 08-20-09, 09:47 PM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would NEVER drive a car past 5,000 miles between oil changes, and that's using Mobil One. If you read how different cars determain the oil life it's not very impressive. I have one friend who drove her BMW 15,000 and still the car was reporting the oil was fine. An oil changed with analyzation proved differently. Personally I want the oil out of my car before it starts to break down. I figure if I cannot afford the oil changes I should be driving a cheaper car. This is only my opinion. I am sure others believe differently.
Old 08-21-09, 04:39 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

so if you guys drove 500 miles a week every week, 85-90% highway, at what mileage would you change the oil at??
Old 08-21-09, 04:44 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sojah
so if you guys drove 500 miles a week every week, 85-90% highway, at what mileage would you change the oil at??
Even with Mobil 1, every 7000 miles, I just like fresh oil
Old 08-21-09, 04:49 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by I6turbo
FYI, speaking of FL Toyota dealers, I heard from a reliable source that a number of the dealers (not sure if it's all dealers or not, but probably not) in the Southeast Toyota region (FL, GA, SC, NC, I forget which other states SET covers) will be running a "service clinic" again this Fall with $14.95 oil changes and $.99 tire rotations. Anyone interested keep their eyes open for dealership signs or coupons in the mail.
Lexus owners clipping those coupons!
Hey, that's great info, by the way, the Lexus dealer in Savannah GA had a coupon for an oil change for 24.95 to include a full car clean up, I took advantage, it was great !

Quick Reply: Is "over maintenance" a waste of $