Is "over maintenance" a waste of $

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-09, 05:06 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default On and on...

Originally Posted by honeygee2
...Car went 4250 miles and the bike 2000 miles in 4 weeks. Great trip. The car is so comfortable I drove it straight through coming home..22 hours.
we went to Orlando with ours this past November and went from NJ to FL (Disney) in 18 hours with two stops. Sooooooooo comfortable.
Old 08-21-09, 06:50 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by DNC
I would NEVER drive a car past 5,000 miles between oil changes, and that's using Mobil One. If you read how different cars determain the oil life it's not very impressive. I have one friend who drove her BMW 15,000 and still the car was reporting the oil was fine. An oil changed with analyzation proved differently. Personally I want the oil out of my car before it starts to break down. I figure if I cannot afford the oil changes I should be driving a cheaper car. This is only my opinion. I am sure others believe differently.
How many miles do your vehicles generally have on them when you sell and replace with another vehicle?
Old 08-21-09, 07:05 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
If you really want to see how long your oil will be good for, get a used oil analysis. Some members are able to get around 10k miles before their next oil change. Filter change is a different story.

3000 miles interval is overkill unless you do major stop and go throughout the day.
I've sent samples to Blackstone Labs (one of the most widely used) and it's pretty interesting to review the results. It's pretty clear that the type and severity of use is in fact a HUGE factor in how long an oil holds up. My Supra, for example, which I always keep at a boost setting that will produce ~900 HP and always on leaded race fuel, often needs its synthetic oil changed at <500 miles according to analysis. And I have no reason to doubt it -- the oil certainly looks and smells like it needs changing compared to what you'd see in a "normal" engine.

It's also interesting that Blackstone, people who make their living analyzing oils, say this in their FAQ:
What's the best oil to use?
Ah, the million dollar question. We are an independent lab, so we don't make recommendations. It has been our experience that oil is oil, and either petroleum or synthetic-based oil will work well for just about any engine.

Come on, you're holding out on me. I should use synthetic, right?
Buddy, you should use whatever you want. Synthetic oil won't guarantee a longer engine life any more than my eating organic food will guarantee I'll live until I'm 90. We here at Blackstone generally use regular petroleum-based oil because honestly, it works just as well for us.
Old 08-21-09, 02:09 PM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by I6turbo
How many miles do your vehicles generally have on them when you sell and replace with another vehicle?
My work vehicles will have between 200K and 300K. My personal use vehicles will have anywhere from 50K to 200K.
Old 08-22-09, 10:12 AM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Default 3 MONTHS or 3k miles

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
Just FYI, I change my own oil. Someone quoted me saying the dealers near me don't charge any less than $150, that was just reference for the thread.
If that's the case then it's my misunderstanding, but how I read your previous quote, that it was what you were paying the dealer.

Also..fwiw...it's the 3month/3k mile change cycle that I'm on. As I have a company provided vehicle that I drive M-F, there are many instances where I don't drive or start the LS for several days.

Then...whenever I DO drive it, it is almost always less than a 15 minute drive to wherever my destination is...so the LS probably doesn't fully warm up to the point of vaporizing any potential moisture/condensation out of the oil, etc!

Mileage isn't the only determining factor in determining if you oil is still "fresh" or not. We all should know NOT driving, or driving the vehicle for so short of a time (less than 15mins) the engine doesn't fully warm up, juices flowing, etc. can be just as detrimental to the degradation to the lubrication/protection characteristics of the oil.

There will definitely be instances where I end up changing the oil at the 3 MONTH interval, and not 3k miles...especially now, since I still have my 3.5RL (that you guys love), and won't rack up miles as quickly on the LS (or RL for that matter). I don't drive the LS every day..sometimes it's not even started for 3 days!

Last, but not least....my GOAL is set for 3mo/3k miles...but it usually ends up over it because I'm busy that weekend, it's raining, etc.

So...that all being said, I guess you synthetic freaks are now going to say that synthetic only "breaks down" when it's used (mileage), otherwise, it can sit in an engine for years without breaking down or losing its protective properties?
Old 08-22-09, 01:55 PM
DNC
Advanced

Originally Posted by LS430inDE.
So...that all being said, I guess you synthetic freaks are now going to say that synthetic only "breaks down" when it's used (mileage), otherwise, it can sit in an engine for years without breaking down or losing its protective properties?
I'm a synethetic freak but I agree with the frequent changes. Years ago a Mobil engineer told me to change the oil every 6 months in my vehicles that I don't drive often. I am of the impression oil sitting in a car that isn't being driven often still absorbs moisture just like brake fluid; depending on conditions in your area.
Old 08-22-09, 07:41 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

They don't put expiration dates on the oil that you buy do they? Oil is millions of year old and doesn't necessarily "break down" with time. Synthetic oil is even better. Gas turbines are know for their long life in comparison to recip engines and they always use synthetic oil (they develop their oil life by taking oil samples to determine contaminates and metal particles during the development stage of the gas turbine). I wouldn't even think of using anything other than a synthetic oil. Just my opinion and experience as a retired gas turbine engineer.

Last edited by jayclapp; 08-22-09 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 08-23-09, 02:06 PM
DNC
Advanced

Originally Posted by jayclapp
They don't put expiration dates on the oil that you buy do they? Oil is millions of year old and doesn't necessarily "break down" with time. Synthetic oil is even better. Gas turbines are know for their long life in comparison to recip engines and they always use synthetic oil (they develop their oil life by taking oil samples to determine contaminates and metal particles during the development stage of the gas turbine). I wouldn't even think of using anything other than a synthetic oil. Just my opinion and experience as a retired gas turbine engineer.
Oil is in air tight containers before being used. After that it's in an engine where it is exposed to contaminates. I guess it depends on your definition of "break down", but yes oil does break down or become contaminated.
I really like synthetic oils too.