LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Is "over maintenance" a waste of $

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-09, 04:48 AM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Question Is "over maintenance" a waste of $

I am fastidious about my cars. Keep them waxed (with best waxes & often), washed every Sunday, never let dealership or anyone else wash them, and maintain them properly.

Recently needed a new battery.Dealer told me $130 but $70 to install! A well recommended independent Lexus/Toyota shop sold it to me - same battery, same price, but included install.

He wants my business (although he did tell me battery deal is the deal - no special for me to get my business), and he does more maintenance than the dealer. On the 60K he adds items not on schedule, and it is higher price than the dealer (he said it runs $900), but his 90K is less expensive as a result (1700 vs 2800 at dealer). Example - he changes plugs at the 60.

He also recommends oil changes at 3,000 rather than 5,000. I am not a fan of oil changes below 5,000 in my car's environment plus synthetic oil.

Local dealer is getting to be more difficult, more expensive, etc. I am out of warranty, this shop is much more convenient, and they have been around for a long time. I have always been a dealer type customer.

1. Is over maintaining a waste of $?
2. Are you comfortable with an independant shop (he has all diagnostic tools etc.)?
Old 08-19-09, 05:05 AM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mafpolo
I am fastidious about my cars. Keep them waxed (with best waxes & often), washed every Sunday, never let dealership or anyone else wash them, and maintain them properly.

Recently needed a new battery.Dealer told me $130 but $70 to install! A well recommended independent Lexus/Toyota shop sold it to me - same battery, same price, but included install.

He wants my business (although he did tell me battery deal is the deal - no special for me to get my business), and he does more maintenance than the dealer. On the 60K he adds items not on schedule, and it is higher price than the dealer (he said it runs $900), but his 90K is less expensive as a result (1700 vs 2800 at dealer). Example - he changes plugs at the 60.

He also recommends oil changes at 3,000 rather than 5,000. I am not a fan of oil changes below 5,000 in my car's environment plus synthetic oil.

Local dealer is getting to be more difficult, more expensive, etc. I am out of warranty, this shop is much more convenient, and they have been around for a long time. I have always been a dealer type customer.

2. Are you comfortable with an independant shop (he has all diagnostic tools etc.)?

Changing the spark plugs is a SMART precaution. A seized plug is expensive to repair, and the 3k oil change I suspect is due to Toyota's known oil sludging problem, which is GREATLY reduced by more frequent oil changes. Hope this helps...
Old 08-19-09, 05:31 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

... A well recommended independent Lexus/Toyota shop...

I am out of warranty, this shop is much more convenient, and they have been around for a long time. I have always been a dealer type customer.

A good independent garage, especially one that specializes in the car brand you own, is a gem worth keeping. For non-warranty repairs, there is no reason not to use them. I have an independent GM mechanic who is an engine builder and used to have a Chevrolet NASCAR team. We have had long discussions on oil additives for my older cars. (Modern oils, even (and maybe especially) synthetics, offer far less wear protection for older cars due to environmental concerns causing the removal or replacement of the most effective oil additives.) I trust John's advice on service frequency.

Another benefit of knowing these garage owners comes when you want to buy a local used car. Many of these mechanics personally know the cars and owners and will freely tell you whether you should buy or pass on a particular car.

At one time, I was looking for an 83-85 MB 300D. I got to know Frank who has run his one-man MB shop in Lansing for over 40 years. I stopped by his shop and asked Frank if he knew, for example, a beige 85 300D owned by so-and-so in Mason. He asked a couple questions about the car, and told me it was formerly owned by such-and-such and you used to be able to eat off the engine. He described the work he had done on the car, but added that he hadn't seen it in a few years, so he couldn't vouch for it's current condition. (I passed on that car due to water leaks.)

On another occasion, I asked him about another 300D. Once he confirmed what car I was talking about, he asked the price, $4200, and suggested that I pass on the car unless I could get it for about $2000. He said it would soon need transmission work. The only hazard in working with Frank is that every visit to talk usually lasts an hour.
Old 08-19-09, 08:15 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

On the 60K he adds items not on schedule, and it is higher price than the dealer (he said it runs $900), but his 90K is less expensive as a result (1700 vs 2800 at dealer). Example - he changes plugs at the 60.
Those sound pretty rough -- especially the 90K. What is he doing for that kind of money?
IMO, changing oil at 3K is overkill unless your driving conditions are unusually extreme. Modern Toyota engines (and many others) will routinely run 250K miles and more on conventional oil changed at OEM-recommended intervals, so for most people there really isn't a tangible benefit to overly frequent oil changes. Or for that matter, overly expensive oils.

I would have no concern whatsoever with an independent shop doing the maintenance and repairs if they know what they are doing and are honest. The LS is a relatively easy, straight-forward vehicle to maintain and repair.
Old 08-19-09, 10:40 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by I6turbo
... The LS is a relatively easy, straight-forward vehicle to maintain and repair.

LOL Then there's my Allante and it's convertible top from hell...
Old 08-19-09, 03:04 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Spark plugs at 60K is overkill and wasteful. You're throwing away a plug that still has easily 50% more life left. Plus, changing oil at 3K is also wasteful in that there has been no known sludge issue with any of the LS engines.

I change my plugs 100K, never seized on any car. Oil (synthetic) at 4500.

Babying your car is using platinum (or better) plugs, synthetic oil, best wax, cleaning the leather frequently. Doing the maintenance at the intervals you noted is just being wasteful, IMHO.
Old 08-19-09, 04:10 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
Spark plugs at 60K is overkill and wasteful. You're throwing away a plug that still has easily 50% more life left. Plus, changing oil at 3K is also wasteful in that there has been no known sludge issue with any of the LS engines.

Babying your car is using platinum (or better) plugs, synthetic oil, best wax, cleaning the leather frequently. Doing the maintenance at the intervals you noted is just being wasteful, IMHO.
Bro....I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one, based on real #'s and calculations...

Plugs---I will change the plugs MYSELF ~75k miles. I believe manual recommends 100k miles. You can only benefit from doing it earlier than recommended. After all, I know I will NOT keep this car (regardless how well it's treated me) past 150k miles!

If I change the plugs at 100k then sell my car at 150k, I get 50k miles usage from my new plugs...where if I change at 75k, I will potentially gain from doing it sooner..and it would be literally at the 1/2 point in the life of the car as ME being the owner. How many people on here actually WILL keep their cars for 150k+? I know we all TALK about keeping them, for even longer..but c'mon..let's get real. Probably at 100k miles I will be buying a 460!!

Whether you change your plugs at 50k, 60k, 75k, or 100k and keep your car until it hits 150k or even 200k....you're making out THE SAME. (You will only change plugs 1x!)

Unless you're a nice guy and change them at 200k right before you get rid of your LS?! Actually, if you change them EARLIER, you will GAIN the potential benefits of new plugs EARLIER! Doesn't that make sense?

Oil---again--I change my own on the 3k mile schedule. A 5qt jug of Valvoline costs ~$12. Considering we all bought our vehicles brand new---0 mileage see the following calculations based on if we PERSONALLY change the oil! (These calculations would fare even WORSE if you PAY SOMEONE to change your synthetic oil)-----

CONVENTIONAL OIL AT 3K MILE INTERVALS $
150k miles divided by 3k oil changes = 50 changes
50 changes @ $12 per change = $600 for oil over life of car

SYNTHETIC OIL AT 4.5K MILE INTERVALS $$$
150k miles divided by 4.5k oil changes = 33 changes
33 changes @ $30 per change = $1,000 for oil over life of car ($400 more than my wastefullness? lol)

For that extra $400 that you're paying, I can change my plugs 2x, detail it, and still go to Starbucks and look up the definition of wasteful on their wireless internet..lol
Old 08-19-09, 06:13 PM
gpb
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default maintenance schedule

All you have to do is follow the owner's manual maintenance guide. Most dealers try to have you over-maintain your car because it is money in their pocket (and out of yours).
Years ago, a Nissan dealer tried to get me to have the transmission serviced at 11,500 miles on my Maxima!!!!!!!!!
There are exceptions that I would make. For example, if I lived in Phoenix and sat in heavy traffic a lot, I'd change my transmission fluid more frequently.
Old 08-19-09, 06:15 PM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LS430inDE.
Bro....I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one, based on real #'s and calculations...

Plugs---I will change the plugs MYSELF ~75k miles. I believe manual recommends 100k miles. You can only benefit from doing it earlier than recommended. After all, I know I will NOT keep this car (regardless how well it's treated me) past 150k miles!

If I change the plugs at 100k then sell my car at 150k, I get 50k miles usage from my new plugs...where if I change at 75k, I will potentially gain from doing it sooner..and it would be literally at the 1/2 point in the life of the car as ME being the owner. How many people on here actually WILL keep their cars for 150k+? I know we all TALK about keeping them, for even longer..but c'mon..let's get real. Probably at 100k miles I will be buying a 460!!

Whether you change your plugs at 50k, 60k, 75k, or 100k and keep your car until it hits 150k or even 200k....you're making out THE SAME. (You will only change plugs 1x!)

Unless you're a nice guy and change them at 200k right before you get rid of your LS?! Actually, if you change them EARLIER, you will GAIN the potential benefits of new plugs EARLIER! Doesn't that make sense?

Oil---again--I change my own on the 3k mile schedule. A 5qt jug of Valvoline costs ~$12. Considering we all bought our vehicles brand new---0 mileage see the following calculations based on if we PERSONALLY change the oil! (These calculations would fare even WORSE if you PAY SOMEONE to change your synthetic oil)-----

CONVENTIONAL OIL AT 3K MILE INTERVALS $
150k miles divided by 3k oil changes = 50 changes
50 changes @ $12 per change = $600 for oil over life of car

SYNTHETIC OIL AT 4.5K MILE INTERVALS $$$
150k miles divided by 4.5k oil changes = 33 changes
33 changes @ $30 per change = $1,000 for oil over life of car ($400 more than my wastefullness? lol)

For that extra $400 that you're paying, I can change my plugs 2x, detail it, and still go to Starbucks and look up the definition of wasteful on their wireless internet..lol
Well.... some other considerations....

If you're really about not wasting money, and you're not going to keep the car more than 200K miles, according to your own logic, why change at 3K miles? These cars have proven time and again that they'll go 200K on regular oil change intervals.

If you add those extra 17 oil filters for the additional changes, say, at $4 each, that reduces the savings in your example.

Other scenarios:
Shell Full Synthetic at $21/6 quarts (that's my local price here, don't know what it costs elsewhere) and $4 filter x 33 oil changes (if you ONLY go 4500 miles per change) = $825

Valvoline at $12/6 quarts and $4 filter x 50 oil changes = $800

That works out to a savings of $.50 per oil change (can't even get that Starbucks ) for your Valvoline route, IF you don't count your time, the trip/trouble to pick up those extra 17 oil change materials, disposing of the oil, etc... All total, you'd no doubt be losing money on the conventional/50 oil change scenario.

Old 08-19-09, 07:53 PM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Spark plugs at 60K is overkill and wasteful. You're throwing away a plug that still has easily 50% more life left.
I changed the plugs in my 06 LS at 50,000 miles and the fuel mileage increased, and I only use BP/Amoco Premium gas.
Old 08-19-09, 08:48 PM
campisi
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Agree 100%
Old 08-19-09, 09:34 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Well.... some other considerations....

If you're really about not wasting money, and you're not going to keep the car more than 200K miles, according to your own logic, why change at 3K miles? These cars have proven time and again that they'll go 200K on regular oil change intervals.

If you add those extra 17 oil filters for the additional changes, say, at $4 each, that reduces the savings in your example.
LOL! Excellent catch! ..although adding those 17 additional filters would make a whopping difference of $68, and reduce my overall difference (savings) from $400 to $332.

Shell Full Synthetic at $21/6 quarts (that's my local price here, don't know what it costs elsewhere) and $4 filter x 33 oil changes (if you ONLY go 4500 miles per change) = $825

Valvoline at $12/6 quarts and $4 filter x 50 oil changes = $800
Very valid point, with YOUR specific scenario (using Shell Full Synthetic) a mere difference in those 2 scenarios of conventional vs synthetic making me come out AHEAD and spending $25 LESS!...however----the discussion was revolving around "wasteful."....and also based on the previous specific post by AlexusAnja, in the HOW MUCH DO YOU PAY FOR OIL CHANGES thread, where it appears he was paying $150/per oil change?!
If you want to play, you gotta pay. Unfortunately, living in the NorthEast/Mid-Atlantic states, you gotta pay more to play. No dealers I know of from south Conn. down to Maryland probably charges anything less than $150 for synthetic. You might get by with occasional specials of $125 or something. This before taxes...

I need to move to Arizone and get my $55 synthetic changes...
In HIS scenario it would be $150 x 33 = $4,950 FOR OIL CHANGES! C'mon!! Don't talk to ME about wasteful!?!?

In my example, AND yours I6turbo, I think we both proved that our scenarios are not "wasteful"...yes?

Great catches none the less with the situation! (as it would relate to YOU I6turbo) (AlexusAnja--i'd like 1,438 venti Sumatra's w/room for cream please)

Last edited by LS430inDE.; 08-19-09 at 09:39 PM.
Old 08-20-09, 04:39 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the fact that you guys know the prices and names of drinks at 5 bucks i mean starbucks is not cool in my book, but this topic will never be solved. this topic here is as bad as the should i get the additional warranty or not, is it worth it?

some will do it some wont. i am somewhere in the middle on this one and i think you are both a little crazy
Old 08-20-09, 05:42 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

the fact that you guys know the prices and names of drinks at 5 bucks i mean starbucks is not cool in my book
What chu talking about, Willis!? I cold-brew my own expresso, make my own dark chocolate syrup, keep it all in the fridge, and make my own Venti Iced Mochas at home every AM for about $.45 cents each.
Heck, I could almost pay for one of those $150 oil changes from the coffee savings in a month.
Old 08-20-09, 05:46 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Oh, and if you're putting plugs in aluminum heads, they should have anti-seize on the threads.

Quick Reply: Is "over maintenance" a waste of $