LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Rattle '04 ls430 nav screen bottom ledge

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-09, 04:40 PM
gpb
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rattle '04 ls430 nav screen bottom ledge

My Mercury Metallic beauty has a rattle that I hear occasionally. I am almost sure that it is coming from the ledge at the bottom of the NAV screen. It looks like there is a seam there where 2 plastic pieces come together. If I press down on the seam, the noise stops.
Anyone with a similar noise?
Old 08-20-09, 05:58 PM
shpatel
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gpb
My Mercury Metallic beauty has a rattle that I hear occasionally. I am almost sure that it is coming from the ledge at the bottom of the NAV screen. It looks like there is a seam there where 2 plastic pieces come together. If I press down on the seam, the noise stops.
Anyone with a similar noise?
I don't have a rattle per se, but if I place my hand on it to input something on the nav screen, the plastic piece squeaks under my hand with pressure. Otherwise it doesn't rattle on its own. It's definitely a weak point in the plastic in the screen area.
Old 08-20-09, 06:52 PM
general98
Rookie

GPB, I have this exact issue and I actually have my car at the dealer right now to have them look at it. Same deal - if I press on the plastic I can generally stop it. I have a 2001 LS430 UL. I will let you know what they say.
Old 08-20-09, 08:24 PM
Griff48
Rookie

I have a rattle on the RIGHT side of my nav. Drives me nutsier than I am already. The lightest touch anywhere one the right side of the screen stops it. The instant I take my hand off it starts up again. I am pulling the unit to see what is there. I got a reply to my post on the subject saying there are felt-lined clips in there. The felt wears off then the clips rattle. We'll see soon.

Gene
Old 08-21-09, 12:34 PM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Another rattle source is the center air vent assembly. I noticed it rattle a lot when it was cold. I took it out and lubricated all the attachment points where it is attached and it seemed to help a lot. If you do this and tae care of the nav panel clips then you should be rattle free.
Old 08-21-09, 08:01 PM
Griff48
Rookie

Originally Posted by Griff48
I have a rattle on the RIGHT side of my nav. Drives me nutsier than I am already. The lightest touch anywhere one the right side of the screen stops it. The instant I take my hand off it starts up again. I am pulling the unit to see what is there. I got a reply to my post on the subject saying there are felt-lined clips in there. The felt wears off then the clips rattle. We'll see soon.

Gene
Took my center stack apart today, pulled the nav and couldn't pinpoint the source of the rattle. I found a roll of tape, sticky on one side and felt-like on the other, so I put that on every seam and clip and put it back together. No more rattle. I also did a more technical repair on the plastic filler piece between the buttons and the screen by cramming some wooden toothpicks in behind it. Don't know if that was the fix, but it doesn't wiggle around any more and the toothpicks don't show. Less than an an hour's work.

Now I need to find the source of an air leak around the front passenger window. That might be harder to fix.

Gene