LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

best air filter?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-15, 06:27 PM
lsdude
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This is an old thread, but how often does everyone change their engine filter? Manual recommends every 30k. I looked at mine tonight after 25k miles and it's filthy! I shook off the loose dust, but I plan to replace it.
Old 09-30-15, 07:11 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Depends upon your driving conditions. I change the air filter after no more than 20K miles.
Old 09-30-15, 07:38 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Haha. An old filter thread. It's actually good to revive these because people always want to know. I'm a 2GS430 owner who just finished an experiment with a K&N filter that lasted one year.

The good:

Nice response. The 2GS is infamous for throttle lag due to its electronic gas pedal. Nice sound and nice mid range response.

The bad:

The car runs "dirty" after a while. Idle gets a little "wonky". I use the old test of looking at my tail pipes. They started out clean and progressively got dirtier.

The bottom line:

I'm now on a Wix filter for about $25. Great response. Not as good as the K&N but basically splitting hairs. I cleaned my MAF sensor and throttle body just to make sure. The K&N did not leak any oil as is alleged on most forums, but it does pass too much dirt. Not good for your car. YMMV.

Use K&N for high flow turbo, headers modified vehicles etc. Not for a stock street app.
Old 10-01-15, 12:27 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts

OEM for around $22. Filthy after 20,000 miles
Old 10-03-15, 08:14 PM
semar
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default airfilter

check out and research MANN filters.
It is a paperfilter with more pleads than any other. The filtration area is larger. Had it on the bimmer without any problems. When checking the MAF it was always clean
Replacement depends on driving conditions obviously
Old 10-04-15, 05:39 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

Denso OEM via Amazon.
Old 10-05-15, 02:01 PM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 205 Likes on 154 Posts

The best air filter is OEM, which is made by Denso. Denso part # 143-2085, Lexus part # 17801-50030. It should be changed every 48000km, per the official 2002 Canadian Lexus maintenance document.

Below are some notes that you should know about engine air filters. These notes are not funded by or affiliated with aftermarket filter manufacturers, as some aftermarket manufacturers bias their claims/studies by omitting unfavourable information, or draw incorrect conclusions by not using appropriate study controls.

Regarding air filter servicing:
An air filter should be serviced when the restriction indicator shows that the maximum allowable restriction, which has been established by the engine manufacturer, has been reached.

The filter should not be serviced on the basis of visual observation. A filter that looks dirty may actually be operating at peak efficiency. In other words, don’t be fooled by a dirty-looking filter, as this can lead to over-servicing.

The efficiency of an air filter increases as it is used. As soon as the air filter is put into operation, it begins to remove harmful dust particles. As these particles accumulate throughout the filter media, many of the microscopic openings in the media become obstructed. This on-going reduction in the size of the openings helps the filter stop smaller dust particles, thus resulting in a more efficient filter. As the filter continues to load with contamination, the filter will develop a dust cake that further increases filter efficiency. The restriction to air flow will increase with this dust loading until it reaches the engine manufacturer’s specified restriction level. This defines the dust capacity of the filter element.

It’s never a good idea to clean and reuse an air filter. Cleaning an air filter can lead to the same increased service costs and dust contamination issues as over-servicing, while also decreasing the overall efficiency of the filter and potentially damaging it. Cleaning an air filter decreases the dust holding capacity of the filter by 20% to 40% with each cleaning. Attempting to clean a filter with compressed air or a water hose is also a risky business, as the filter media can become damaged. It only takes one small hole or compromised seal to put expensive engines and equipment in jeopardy.
Source: http://www.fleetequipmentmag.com/clearing-engine-air/

Regarding air filter efficiency:
Engine air filters are designed to actually increase their efficiency by using this initial layer of dust as an added filter layer. Initial filter efficiency is usually approximately 98% but increases to more than 99% by the end of the service life of the filter. Therefore, changing an air filter before the useful service life is achieved can result in premature engine wear.
Source: Patil, A., Halbe, V., and Vora, K., "A System Approach to Automotive Air Intake System Development," SAE Technical Paper 2005-26-011, 2005, doi:10.4271/2005-26-011

Regarding fuel economy:
Results show that clogging the air filter has no significant effect on the fuel economy of the newer vehicles (all fuel injected with closed-loop control and one equipped with MDS). The engine control systems were able to maintain the desired AFR regardless of intake restrictions, and therefore fuel consumption was not increased.

The level of restriction required to cause a substantial (10–15%) decrease in fuel economy was so severe that the vehicle was almost undrivable.

Closed-loop control in modern fuel injected vehicle applications is sophisticated enough to keep a clogged air filter from affecting the vehicle fuel economy.
Source: West, Brian, Kevin Norman, and Shean Huff. "Effects of Air Filter Condition on Vehicle Fuel Economy." (2009)