mewtoo
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 11-19-19, 02:37 PM
Charles10
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mewtoo
So, the triangle with the exclamation mark in the center when lit, with Service Req'd above the odometer, only indicates oil changes, general servicing issues, etc., not that there's actually anything wrong/faulty with the vehicle or particular components?
(Thanks again for such speedy replies!)
Old 11-19-19, 06:00 PM
mewtoo
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The red triangle should be accompanied by a message such as Maintenance Required, Check Engine, or Low Tire Pressure, etc. In the screenshot below, it is for the Parking Brake still engaged in Drive mode.

Service Required generally means it has been 5k miles since your maintenance reminder has been reset.

Last edited by mewtoo; 11-19-19 at 06:07 PM.
Old 11-19-19, 06:03 PM
Charles10
Driver School Candidate

Yes, the message I'm getting is Maintenance Required. What I was searching for was the particular type of maintenance that was required...
Thanks.
Old 11-19-19, 07:18 PM
430SLOwner
Instructor

Received 206 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles10
Yes, the message I'm getting is Maintenance Required. What I was searching for was the particular type of maintenance that was required...
Thanks.
The engine oil maintenance information triggers after miles have elapsed since reset, as another poster said. The message "Maintenance Required" is engine oil maintenance information. The type of maintenance required is to change your oil. (See end of this post for other warning messages.)

If you wish to know what other maintenance may be required, the owners manual has the suggested maintenance schedule.

How does the car know it is time to change the oil? It doesn't. It only knows when the engine oil maintenance information data was reset. Which is to be done each time one changes the oil, so one is reminded to change it again when the message reappears.

Resetting the engine oil maintenance information data (U.S.A. only)
After replacing the engine oil, be sure to reset the maintenance data. Otherwise, the engine oil maintenance information may not function correctly. (P.334 of your owners manual)
  1. Push the "TRIP" button to change the trip meter display to blank.
  2. Turn the ignition switch off.
  3. Turn the ignition switch to "ON" while pushing the trip meter "RESET" button.
  4. Keep pushing the trip meter "RESET" button for longer than 5 seconds.
  5. "Mileage Reset" appears on the display, the master warning light comes on, and a warning tone sounds.
If a warning message appears on the multi-information display, check to see what the problem is and take appropriate measures referring to the table starting on page 334 of your owner's manual.
https://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrive...nuals-warranty

Last edited by 430SLOwner; 11-19-19 at 09:47 PM.
Old 11-20-19, 04:08 AM
Charles10
Driver School Candidate

Appreciate the helpful input from everyone. A little clearer now. I'll give the recommendations a go...
Thanks again!
The following users liked this post:
RushNatU (12-15-19)
Old 12-02-19, 11:36 AM
430SLOwner
Instructor

Originally Posted by clemgreg
I don't have an owners manual. I have a 2004 LS 430. A red triangle with exclamation mark in the middle just lit up on my dash. What does that mean?
I'm having the same problem, and have also found that it says maintenance required, but doesn't specify what that maintenance is...?!?
There doesn't seem to be a way to get the message centre to relay the specific information to you, or is there?
(If not, it would seem like a clossal waste of time to have to take it to the dealer just to find out that it's windshield wiper fluid, battery or tire pressure.)
Originally Posted by 430SLOwner
Engine oil maintenance message
The two warning messages are based on the projected driving range after engine oil maintenance massage is reset.
The system does not monitor the purity of the engine oil.

Resetting the engine oil maintenance information data (U.S.A. only)
After replacing the engine oil, be sure to reset the maintenance data. Otherwise, the engine oil maintenance information may not function correctly.
  1. Turn the ignition switch on.
  2. Push the "TRIP" button (6) to change the trip meter display (7) to blank.
  3. Turn the ignition switch off.
  4. Turn the ignition switch to "ON" while pushing the trip meter (5) "RESET" button.
  5. Keep pushing the trip meter (5) "RESET" button for longer than 5 seconds.
"Mileage Reset" appears on the display, the master warning light comes on, and a warning tone sounds.
Appreciate the helpful input from everyone. A little clearer now. I'll give the recommendations a go...
Thanks again!
Did this work?
Old 12-02-19, 02:09 PM
Charles10
Driver School Candidate

It did indeed work. Thanks to everyone for the helpful suggestions!
Old 12-02-19, 02:17 PM
430SLOwner
Instructor

Default owner's manual free

It did indeed work. Thanks to everyone for the helpful suggestions!
Ok, good. If you want one, you may get a PDF copy of your owner's manual free here: https://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrive...nuals-warranty You may also get a hard copy, but the pdf is free and you can print it or pages from it whenever you wish.

Last edited by 430SLOwner; 12-02-19 at 02:20 PM.
Old 12-02-19, 03:15 PM
Charles10
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, I actually have the manual, but couldn't specifically locate the information related to the oil change alert.
On a slightly different note, I must say this is the first Lexus I've ever owned (which I bought for my mother), as I've always been a Porsche guy, going back to the 60's, and culminating with a first-gen Cayenne, that I also bought for my mother, that turned out to be complete junk, as far as reliability was concerned, and which led me to this old Lexus as a replacement. I've only owned it for about 10 months (it had only 53,000 original miles), but so far this vehicle has been outstanding. Nary a squeak, let alone a rattle, and the V8 is impressively smooth. The build quality/fit & finish is superb, and for a car that's almost fifteen years old, it's hard to believe it can run this well with no sounds of age from the suspension or anything else for that matter. I've always been aware of the kudos these vehicles have received in the past, but seeing it first-hand at this age, certainly tends to make one more of a believer than a sceptic!
Thanks again to the kind folks on the forum for helping me get sorted...
Old 12-02-19, 04:46 PM
430SLOwner
Instructor

Thanks, I actually have the manual, but couldn't specifically locate the information related to the oil change alert.
On a slightly different note, I must say this is the first Lexus I've ever owned (which I bought for my mother), as I've always been a Porsche guy, going back to the 60's, and culminating with a first-gen Cayenne, that I also bought for my mother, that turned out to be complete junk, as far as reliability was concerned, and which led me to this old Lexus as a replacement. I've only owned it for about 10 months (it had only 53,000 original miles), but so far this vehicle has been outstanding. Nary a squeak, let alone a rattle, and the V8 is impressively smooth. The build quality/fit & finish is superb, and for a car that's almost fifteen years old, it's hard to believe it can run this well with no sounds of age from the suspension or anything else for that matter. I've always been aware of the kudos these vehicles have received in the past, but seeing it first-hand at this age, certainly tends to make one more of a believer than a sceptic!
A nice feature of downloading and saving PDF files of the manuals in Adobe, is the search feature in Adobe which will highlight a search term in your manual and allow you to go to "next" or "previous" place the term is found in the manual at lightening pace compared to searching in the hard copies.... The LS 430 is a great car. A 53,000 mile LS 430 is glorious.

Some of the maintenance recommended may be overkill. A good indy who may specialize in Japanese cars may be someone to consult as Lexus dealerships tend hit hard for little benefit and may recommend doing work "because it is time" "according to the book" when an LS 430 may need nothing whatsoever if not abused or constantly driven hard.

(Bought one with 80,000 almost 2 years ago. Have changed oil, filters, trunk lifts, and replaced a couple of 5 cent fasteners. No other issues. TB was never changed so will maybe think about it after 130,000 to 150,000 miles but will watch for any water pump seepage meanwhile which would prompt quicker action....)
Old 12-15-19, 06:15 AM
430SLOwner
Instructor

I don't have an owners manual. I have a 2004 LS 430. A red triangle with exclamation mark in the middle just lit up on my dash. What does that mean?
I'm having the same problem, and have also found that it says maintenance required, but doesn't specify what that maintenance is...?!?
There doesn't seem to be a way to get the message centre to relay the specific information to you, or is there?
(If not, it would seem like a clossal waste of time to have to take it to the dealer just to find out that it's windshield wiper fluid, battery or tire pressure.)
As you know, it is a reminder to change your oil. And after the oil is changed it should be reset so you may be reminded next time...

But, If you have nav, you may also set reminders for other items so the icon color may change to orange to remind; see below (You may have to go to the maintenance screen for status and not wait for the red triangle which may not appear for items set in nav.)

1. Push the “OPTION” button to display
the “Option” screen and touch the
“Information” switch.

2. Touch the “Maintenance” switch
to display the “Maintenance” screen.

3. Touch the desired icon and input the
conditions.

Notice of “Date”: You can input the next
maintenance date.
Notice of “Distance”: You can input the
driving distance until the next maintenance
check.