LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

AM reception LOUSY!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-09, 05:14 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Angry AM reception LOUSY!

I just drove my LS every day to work..1 hour TO work..and 1 hour home, for the past 2 weeks. It was actually for my 2 week training for the Reserves. I have a work truck for my civilian job, so I normally don't drive the LS every day........

Does everyone have horrible reception on the AM band of their radios? Not only do I get MARGINAL AM reception, but additionally, when I apply the brakes, I usually can hear slight STATIC over the speakers!!!

I have driven regularly, and owned many cars from a 1984 Chevy Cavalier to 2002 Acura RL and 3 others in between. All of them could pull in my AM stations fine.

I understand that when the weather is inclement (thunderstorms), electrical interference will occur, affecting reception, etc.....but in the 430, the AM reception is MARGINAL every day, all the time, and even has slight static when I apply the brakes!

I'm actually describing 2 separate gripes.....marginal AM reception (not frequency specific), and slight static when brakes are applied.

I DON'T think this has anything to do with the Mark Levinson upgraded system..but rather the lousy selectivity and sensitivity of whomever (Denso?) manufactures the headunit!!!!

My girlfriend thinks I'm crazy, but this, along with the not-so-comfortable seat (I have to take wallet out) is almost making me sell this car. I am not kidding....this is really annoying for a car that cost $68k new...

I'm happier LOOKING at my car than I am driving it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS...I HAVE THE OEM RUBBER DUCKY ANTENNA. I HAVE NOT INSTALLED ANYTHING AFTERMARKET ELECTRICAL PRODUCTS, EXCEPT FOR REPLACING THE CENTER BRAKE LIGHT BULB WITH AN LED.

Last edited by LS430inDE.; 09-13-09 at 05:46 PM.
Old 09-14-09, 04:06 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My reception is fine. Maybe you have a short, or perhaps did you recently get tint? The antenna for radio is along the rear glass (with defogger) not the little rubber antenna on top of car. That little antenna is for the Lexus Link (OnStar equivalent) service.

I ask tint because some tints with heavy metal particles inside can interfere with reception. Also... AM is a crappy band, always gets some sort of static.

I would say if it's really that bad and your girlfriend is not right that you're crazy... then go get it looked at. Maybe the antenna got disconnected somehow.
Old 09-14-09, 06:12 AM
alanchad
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the best AM reception on my 01 ls430 UL of any car I have owned.
Check w/Lexus for a TSB on the radio.
There were 2 on my 92 SC400 on this problem.

Alan
Old 09-14-09, 06:18 AM
danxp
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my am is fine... i was afraid that my radio reception would worsen after i got tint, but i was relieved to discover that that was not the case...

weird that you'd get static when applying the brakes... did you ever get any am reception? how bout fm?
Old 09-14-09, 10:18 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

I actually get the static issue on my AM with my RX. It's very strange, I'll be driving, the signal is bad, and when I step on the brakes to stop, it gets more staticy. Probably just electric gemlins...
Old 09-14-09, 05:39 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
My reception is fine. Maybe you have a short, or perhaps did you recently get tint? The antenna for radio is along the rear glass (with defogger) not the little rubber antenna on top of car. That little antenna is for the Lexus Link (OnStar equivalent) service.

I ask tint because some tints with heavy metal particles inside can interfere with reception.
Hey fellas...thanks for the replies.

I have not done any tinting to the car, yet, so we can eliminate that.

For what it's worth, all of the windows, including the rear, have the Lexus logo on them and Temperlite and UVS written on them. I was thinking maybe the rear glass was replaced sometime, and something electrical didn't get reconnected correctly, etc..but all the glass etchings/markings look identical and match.

It really is so annoying, that I may take it to the dealer and tell them to give it a once-over. If you think I'm crazy, then compare it to folks who pay for HDTV...and the picture flip flops randomly, from SDTV to HDTV? Sticking to music, if your IPOD would sometimes play the correct order, or randomly play your music on shuffle, or Blackberry freaks out there who may have an intermittent sticky key, etc. Bottom line----I listen a LOT to AM radio, so it's bothering me a lot.

I think I will take it to the dealer and have them check it out. While there, should I also tell/ask them to ensure all pertinent TSB's have been perfromed on the car? I think I will. I'll let you guys know how I make out with that daunting task.

I wasn't sure if the LS's rubber ducky antenna was for AM or FM reception, but just thought I'd mention it. In the rear window, there is the defogger circuit (lines) and another circuit (lines) within the defroster. Is that the AM or FM or is it some trick/COMBINED antenna?

Are we 110% sure the rubber ducky is ONLY for Lexus Link?

On my Acura RL, an antenna (circuit) was in the rear window, nearly identical to the LS's layout w/the defroster grid. It's ALSO HAD a rubber ducky on the top of the roof, identical to the LS's!?...but I know the RL doesn't have Lexus Link!? My thoughts are that the rubber ducky is either the FM or AM antenna..and my guess is it's the FM antenna, with the AM in the back window.

Pretty pathetic I write 5 paragraphs *****ing about my AM reception huh?

As always...thanks for everyones thoughts, inputs, and opinions.

BTW...does the dealership give their customers a free FIRST service----as good gesture?

I'm also including a pic of the RL...with antenna on top...
Attached Thumbnails AM reception LOUSY!-2002-acura-rl.jpg  
Old 09-14-09, 05:51 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Please don't trade in your car because of the AM reception!!
Old 09-15-09, 03:48 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Yes, that little rubber antenna does nothing, unless you have LexusLink which I think probably less than 1% did. Lexus still installed that dopey antenna on every vehicle... talk about NOT cost saving.

You mentioned your other vehicles get AM fine, because I was going to suggest that maybe AM is just bad in your area, but if other cars are fine, then it's your LS. Get it looked at and make sure first that reception is bad near the dealership also. Don't want to go in, have then turn the radio on and it's crystal clear.
Old 09-15-09, 11:43 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

AM reception is just fine in my car.