LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

stripped wheel lock

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-09, 05:35 PM
dlap
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stripped wheel lock

hey guys. where can i get a replacement wheel lock for my ls430? bout to change the brake pads and i stripped the wheel lock. thanks for any help. also what number will i need to order the lock?
Old 09-15-09, 06:44 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 105 Likes on 85 Posts

You can order a replacement if you have the serial no.'s supplied with the car when it was new. Even so, it will take time for a replacement.

I broke a wheel lock on my RX300 several years ago, while trying to remove a tire that blew out on the road. We were on a short trip out of town. Lexus Road Assist had us hauled to a nearby small town, where a local tire dealer fixed the problem. He merely hammered a socket on to the broken lock and wrenched it off.

As a result of that incident, I removed all the wheel locks, threw them away and installed normal nuts. I'd rather deal with a stolen wheel, which at least won't happen when I'm driving down an interstate. Being stranded on the side of an interstate near a sheer drop off while cars zoom by at 75 mph for over an hour is just not worth it.

Wrench the thing off and replace it. Just my experience and opinion.
Old 09-15-09, 07:20 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

happened to me... called the dealer to replace just the lock, they said you can't do that. you need to replace the whole set, only bout 50-60 bucks anyway. so my shop crack the lugs and replace them with regular lug nuts. I went the same route as jayclapp and put normal lugs because hate the hassle of crap wheel locks! They also dont grip as nice as normal lugs.
Old 09-16-09, 06:57 AM
dlap
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks guys. think i will go that route.
Old 09-16-09, 07:30 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jayclapp
You can order a replacement if you have the serial no.'s supplied with the car when it was new. Even so, it will take time for a replacement.

I broke a wheel lock on my RX300 several years ago, while trying to remove a tire that blew out on the road. We were on a short trip out of town. Lexus Road Assist had us hauled to a nearby small town, where a local tire dealer fixed the problem. He merely hammered a socket on to the broken lock and wrenched it off.

As a result of that incident, I removed all the wheel locks, threw them away and installed normal nuts. I'd rather deal with a stolen wheel, which at least won't happen when I'm driving down an interstate. Being stranded on the side of an interstate near a sheer drop off while cars zoom by at 75 mph for over an hour is just not worth it.

Wrench the thing off and replace it. Just my experience and opinion.
had a similar situation to me. stock wheel locks dont really stop anyone (read my next reply.)

Originally Posted by KILLERGS4
happened to me... called the dealer to replace just the lock, they said you can't do that. you need to replace the whole set, only bout 50-60 bucks anyway. so my shop crack the lugs and replace them with regular lug nuts. I went the same route as jayclapp and put normal lugs because hate the hassle of crap wheel locks! They also dont grip as nice as normal lugs.
Actually, you can either the adapter or a lock individually through Mc gaurd. If you dont have the green card that comes with your car, all you need to do is a take a pic adn email a rep with Mc Gaurd and they will ship one out to you quick. (Theres only like 5 or so different locks) which makes them more of a hassle then are worth.