LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

I am thinking to get Infiniti instead of my totaled baby.. what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-09, 03:47 PM
Lanson
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Actually I can truthfully state that Acura has a tough time with reliability.

Honda has gone through a nightmare of transmission troubles, evap troubles, and SRS restraint system troubles. Some of these have been epic.

They have had some nightmare situations that have even caused specialized warranty bumps to 100k to be needed to avoid class-action suits. So...let's not go that path.

BTW, Q45's indicate service on the 3,750 mile interval for severe service (where 3k oil changes come from on other cars), and 7500 mile intervals for federal standard service. 10k service is not found as recommended by any factory manual interval. Dealers are idiots, in general.
Old 09-16-09, 04:06 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Thumbert
My experience with Nissan products has been very negative. My last foray into Nissan ownership was a then brand new 2006 G35 Coupe with 6 speed. Clutch and tranny were very poorly made. Entire clutch assembly replaced and still the car would still stutter in first gear. Searching the G35 forums showed that this was a common problem. Also, I had lots of little problems with it such as defective seat heaters and other little things that added up to a real headache. Then, my car started burning obscene amounts of oil. I am talking about 1 qt per 1000 miles. This is also a common problem. Ultimately, Nissan bought the car back from my under NJ lemon law.

My advice to you is to stay away from any product manufactured by Nissan.
My daughter bought a 1999 new Altima. A pretty basic version. She now has 125,000 miles and I have really been impressed with the reliability. Almost no failures. Just service and drive. I've spent thousands more getting my 1992 SC400 to that mileage. Don't know that her Altima is typical, but really caused me to have respect for Nissan. It could also be that if it were loaded up with all the extras that come with an Infiniti that they would cause excessive failures.
Old 09-16-09, 04:06 PM
intermec
Intermediate

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

10,000 mile oil change is nothing new to me.
I once own a 05 Honda Element and it doesn't require oil change until it hit 10K miles.
Old 09-16-09, 04:26 PM
Lanson
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jayclapp
My daughter bought a 1999 new Altima. A pretty basic version. She now has 125,000 miles and I have really been impressed with the reliability. Almost no failures. Just service and drive. I've spent thousands more getting my 1992 SC400 to that mileage. Don't know that her Altima is typical, but really caused me to have respect for Nissan. It could also be that if it were loaded up with all the extras that come with an Infiniti that they would cause excessive failures.
At 140 or so, look for intake manifold gaskets to fail. I took 12 hrs doing my own with my 00 altima. It will run lean on cyl 4 if the gasket dies, which it WILL since it is in an awkward spot in the engine area and subject to excessive heat due to poor coolant passage location.

Also watch out for the very common coolant temp sensor at the front of the engine area. It corrodes on the terminal for some reason, and shorts out. Replacing the terminal with a basic gold spade connector actually solves the problem permanently. It will throw about 8 codes and suck gas if this part fails.

Lastly the engine valve cover seals die and leak, causing engine oil to seep into the spark plug galleys. If this happens, the engine will not run right until you replace the seals, and get new plugs and wires in there, to correct the contamination.

But otherwise, OK car.

I've owned a 1991 Nissan 240sx, a 95 Nissan 240sx, a 1990 Nissan Stanza, a 1990 Nissan pickup, and a 2000 Nissan Altima. Yes, they all have the same engine, the dang KA24. Some with DOHC, some with SOHC...but let's just say I know how this engine works.
Old 09-16-09, 04:58 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gpb
If you want a less reliable car that rides rougher, is noiser, and depreciates faster, go ahead!
+1 gpb, what worries me most about automobiles is depreciation, the Q45 just sinks more rapidly than the LS
Old 09-16-09, 08:23 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Thumbert
My experience with Nissan products has been very negative. My last foray into Nissan ownership was a then brand new 2006 G35 Coupe with 6 speed. Clutch and tranny were very poorly made. Entire clutch assembly replaced and still the car would still stutter in first gear. Searching the G35 forums showed that this was a common problem. Also, I had lots of little problems with it such as defective seat heaters and other little things that added up to a real headache. Then, my car started burning obscene amounts of oil. I am talking about 1 qt per 1000 miles. This is also a common problem. Ultimately, Nissan bought the car back from my under NJ lemon law.

My advice to you is to stay away from any product manufactured by Nissan.

Funny you mention that about the clutch. A coworker's roomate had a 350z, tranny failed after a year. It was replaced under the factory warranty, but he later sold the car. If you look at Edmunds, the reliability of the Nissans is below average. Their reputation in Japan is high performance & style, but not high reliability.

I, too, was interested an infinity (G37), but no longer after researching it. Edmunds shows the depreciation over time. Infinity has far more depreciation and less reliability than lexus. Ever notice what old luxury cars you see on the road? Here in AZ (where rust is not a factor), I mainly see lexus/toyota with some acura/hondas. No Infinity other than newer ones (mostly G coupes). I didn't even know the Q45 was even remotely recently. I don't think I've seen one since 2000-2001. The reason why used lexus/toyota cars cost more is they hold together much longer. The bottom line is, you get what you pay for.
Old 09-16-09, 08:31 PM
BC Rider
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I looked at these too before I got my LS and did some research on them.

Apparently the early ones (93 or so) had a problem with camchain followers made out of plastic. These were known as a "when they go" rather than an "if they go" problem.

Other than that people who had them loved them.

They have a reputation for being considerably quicker than the LS.

The only other criticism concerned the instrumentation - but you'll see if it appeals to you once you drive one.
Old 09-16-09, 08:53 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Thumbs up i STILL love my RL

Originally Posted by LSin75075
back to the RL, I LOVED my RL...

Now here's a list of things that went bad on my 02 Acura RL after 163,000 miles:
1) one headlight bulb
2) one or two tail light bulbs

... all that said, I still prefer my LS over the RL, mainly because of the additional luxury features, power and RWD. but I KNOW that my RL was WAY WAY WAY more dependable than the LS. ALSO... the RL (back in 02 anyway) was the ONLY Acura (asides from NSX) that was still made in Japan
We have a lot in common...minus the one RL headlight bulb.
Old 09-16-09, 08:55 PM
bassil2022
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LSin75075
back to the RL, I LOVED my RL. here's a list of failures on my 01 LS430 w/ 122k that my RL never had:

1) amplifier failed (known issue) ...$1600 part
2) power mirror failed (known issue)
3) factory installed window tinting bubbling bad
4) windows are noisy and slow going up and down (failing regulators)
5) nav reader went bad (known issue)... $1200 part
6) HID ballast going bad
7) had my Nav display once that the AC was disconnected... WTF? (fixed itself though)

Now here's a list of things that went bad on my 02 Acura RL after 163,000 miles:
1) one headlight bulb
2) one or two tail light bulbs

... all that said, I still prefer my LS over the RL, mainly because of the additional luxury features, power and RWD. but I KNOW that my RL was WAY WAY WAY more dependable than the LS. ALSO... the RL (back in 02 anyway) was the ONLY Acura (asides from NSX) that was still made in Japan

beside the luxury things, how are the ride and the drive comparing between the two cars?
Old 09-16-09, 09:03 PM
Swagga82
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bassil2022
hi guys do you remember my poor totaled baby when it has accident and it has been totaled?
if you don't from here
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-accident.html

Well, since the insurance company and I reach to a settlement and they are going to pay me the check, I already started looking for cars.

It is the biggest headache I've ever seen to look for "the right and good car"

one of my friends recommended for me to have a look on the 2002 Infiniti Q45 till 05

I looked at it, and it looks so good, and it has a great features and options + its price is so good for me since I decided not spend all the check.

what do you think guys to have this car instead of LS especially when it has almost the features of LS430 UL with the good price??

I need your opinions..
Sorry I would not leave the 430 for a q45 have u ever sat. In the inside feels like ur driving a infiniti I35 the outside maybe big but my nah no good IMO
Old 09-16-09, 10:37 PM
Lanson
Intermediate

Funny you should mention Edmunds. If you look closely at the reliability reports, you'll notice the campany where they come from. I work for that company as a support trainer.

Originally Posted by Jim_Chow
Funny you mention that about the clutch. A coworker's roomate had a 350z, tranny failed after a year. It was replaced under the factory warranty, but he later sold the car. If you look at Edmunds, the reliability of the Nissans is below average. Their reputation in Japan is high performance & style, but not high reliability.

I, too, was interested an infinity (G37), but no longer after researching it. Edmunds shows the depreciation over time. Infinity has far more depreciation and less reliability than lexus. Ever notice what old luxury cars you see on the road? Here in AZ (where rust is not a factor), I mainly see lexus/toyota with some acura/hondas. No Infinity other than newer ones (mostly G coupes). I didn't even know the Q45 was even remotely recently. I don't think I've seen one since 2000-2001. The reason why used lexus/toyota cars cost more is they hold together much longer. The bottom line is, you get what you pay for.
Old 09-17-09, 03:43 AM
Thumbert
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have had two Nissan products. A 280ZX many years ago and the G35 coupe. The zx was a 1979 (I owned it many years ago) and the G35 was a 2006. Both had terrible reliability.

My post is just an opinion. Maybe I just had bad luck with those two cars. However, one was used, one was brand new and I owned them 20 years apart. Each had big problems. That was enough for me.

As for Nissan being more muscle and less luxury, I completely agree with that. When my G35 worked, it was a blast to drive. Pretty comfortable, powerful and handled well for a fat car. The backseat was also pretty usable.
Old 09-17-09, 04:22 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Infiniti Q

LS or Q... just look who is still around and who is not. Not all cars that go away are bad cars, they just don't sell well, but there are reasons they don't sell well right?

I think the only really good Q was the first Q and then somehow Nissan just fell off the cliff with the Q. From lack luster features, style, reliability, etc. It seemed where Lexus excelled, Infiniti faltered.

Anyway, here are some comparison photos for your viewing pleasure. As for comparison, do you want to look like a Mercedes (LS) or a Lincoln Continental (Q) ?
Attached Thumbnails I am thinking to get Infiniti instead of my totaled baby.. what do you think?-430_q45_dash.jpg   I am thinking to get Infiniti instead of my totaled baby.. what do you think?-430_q45_front.jpg   I am thinking to get Infiniti instead of my totaled baby.. what do you think?-430_q45_pass_dash.jpg   I am thinking to get Infiniti instead of my totaled baby.. what do you think?-430_q45_rear.jpg   I am thinking to get Infiniti instead of my totaled baby.. what do you think?-430_q45_window.jpg  

Old 09-17-09, 07:56 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nice comparo.

can i ask the original poster of this thread if they plan to mod at all???
Old 09-17-09, 07:56 AM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Q upper centre dash area has always reminded me of the Hyundai Sonata after it got it's major redesign a few years ago. Sorry - it just looks awful. It screams economy to me not flagship luxury.

Quick Reply: I am thinking to get Infiniti instead of my totaled baby.. what do you think?