LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

what do you think is better, fix it or sell it??

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-09, 09:52 PM
bassil2022
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what do you think is better, fix it or sell it??

guys remember my wrecked car 2001 LS43 UL on this thread...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-accident.html

the insurance gave me the max on the uninsured motorist which is $15k + they gave me my car back since they wont pay me the full ACV.

So, what do you think is better to do now, to fix the car and keep it and save some money or to sell it as is, wrecked car, and buy another one (also I am planning to save)?
do you think if I fix it, it will be as smooth and quite as before or not?
I will spend $5k to $6k max to fix it. I don't want to spend more on that because I think is not worth it to spend more on fixing it and sell it after 4 years or so. Its not going to get me enough money when I sell it after that, don't you think?

I have two choices, either sell it as is OR fixing and use it...
Old 09-23-09, 10:12 PM
Red Square
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

from the pics it doesnt look that bad, but its hard to say if it has major suspension and frame damage. but if the repairs are under, 5k i would fix it and save the money. will it ride the same?.....most likely, unless there is heavy frame damage, then that depends on how good your repair shop is.
Old 09-23-09, 10:30 PM
bassil2022
Driver

I don't think the repair shop will guaranteed that the car will ride the same !!
they will say we will try....

tomorrow the repair guy will come and see the car and give an estimate.
Old 09-23-09, 10:55 PM
ejthomp
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Remember the part about the "Have you got an attorney yet?"

You've been taken for a ride, and you don't know it. Score another one for the insurance company.

Remember how you were going to get $20k? Now we are down to $15k.....

You are listening to every word they say and believing it....

I suppose at this point, you've signed their waiver and settled...thinking you got a "fair" deal.

Explain to me how you taking it in the shorts is a fair deal? YOU DID NOTHING WRONG! Insurance is supposed to make you whole, not make you try and figure out how you can make this work!

To everyone else..... It still rings true.... the insurance companies have lots of lawyers.... all trying to make sure you don't get too much.... Shouldn't you have at least one lawyer, making sure you get what you are entitled to?
Old 09-23-09, 11:50 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

The car looks like it sustained serious frame damage. It might not appear this way from the pictures but it is so.

I got into an accident in my previous LS one ONE corner and was less severe racking up a healthy $ 10K bill in repairs and two months in the shop.

It will not be cheap or easy to fix the car the right way, especially when it involves substantial frame damage. You may not be able to see it, but the frame most defiantly moved which will adversely affect future crash safety and drivablity. I see take it back, sell it for parts or as a salvaged title and buy yourself a newer car.

Originally Posted by ejthomp
Remember the part about the "Have you got an attorney yet?"

You've been taken for a ride, and you don't know it. Score another one for the insurance company.

Remember how you were going to get $20k? Now we are down to $15k.....

You are listening to every word they say and believing it....

I suppose at this point, you've signed their waiver and settled...thinking you got a "fair" deal.

Explain to me how you taking it in the shorts is a fair deal? YOU DID NOTHING WRONG! Insurance is supposed to make you whole, not make you try and figure out how you can make this work!

To everyone else..... It still rings true.... the insurance companies have lots of lawyers.... all trying to make sure you don't get too much.... Shouldn't you have at least one lawyer, making sure you get what you are entitled to?
Sometimes its a bigger of a hassle to hire an attorney to take on the insurance company for an extra *supposedly* $5K. Not to mention, the car was not worth $20K to begin with.
Old 09-24-09, 12:23 AM
AznRacer
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

by the look of the damage its going to be hard to fix and still get the same ride quality. Your best bet is to list it on ebay AS IS maybe someone will buy it for replacement parts.
Old 09-24-09, 01:50 AM
pacinitaly
Driver

Originally Posted by bassil2022
I don't think the repair shop will guaranteed that the car will ride the same !!
they will say we will try....

tomorrow the repair guy will come and see the car and give an estimate.
I don't think the car will ever ride the same way again.

how much do you want for:

front driver door (whole door)
hood
front fenders
nose ( actually, all the black part of the front of the car )

just wondering
Old 09-24-09, 06:29 AM
bassil2022
Driver

I don't think I am going to sell parts. I will sell it AS IS. If I can't get at least $5k with AS IS, then I will think of selling parts.

How much do you think I can sell the car AS IS??
Old 09-24-09, 06:49 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

by re looking at your wrecked ls thread it looks like they are giving you 19k + for the totaled out value of the car, is this correct? if so then that is the best deal you got at this point. why are you still messing with this car and not taking the 19k$ check??
Old 09-24-09, 07:11 AM
bassil2022
Driver

Originally Posted by sojah
by re looking at your wrecked ls thread it looks like they are giving you 19k + for the totaled out value of the car, is this correct? if so then that is the best deal you got at this point. why are you still messing with this car and not taking the 19k$ check??
NO. They gave a check with $15k AND gave me the car back. If I sell it with $5k AS IS, then I will be having $20k
Old 09-24-09, 07:34 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

So pretty much the only 2 options that i see that would keep you in the green would be to take some of the 15k and fix the ls and keep it for the long haul, say try to fix it for like 8k or less but keep in mind that when you go to sell it the title will most likely say salvage or they will know it has some frame damage which will mean you won't be able to sell it for anything close to its actual value at the time. or just sell the car as is for say 5k if possible. another option is to try and get a budget fix going to see if you can get the car looking anything close to decent for say 3k and then try to sell it for like $10,000-$8,000.

i think you'd be lucky to sell it as is for 5k, maybe like 3k cuz most people prolly don't wanna mess with a car like this to fix it cuz it will be $$$ to fix.

good luck. you prolly couldn't have gotten much more than 15k for it even if you had sold it outright so consider it as you sold it and maybe try to do some leg work if you want to part it out for some bonus $$.

Last edited by sojah; 09-24-09 at 07:37 AM.
Old 09-24-09, 01:21 PM
bonnsha
Driver School Candidate

sell it for the parts or part it out yourself. on here you should be able to make more than 5k...
Old 09-25-09, 07:46 AM
CG lover
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

S e l l......f o r......p a r t s..=..$ $ $ $ $
Old 09-25-09, 08:18 AM
bassil2022
Driver

when you say "sell for parts", you mean I part the car by my self?
because if that what you mean, I can't do it by my self + its going to take long time!!
Old 09-25-09, 09:05 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

well i don't think you will be able to sell the car as is for any amount of $$$. try it out, list it on autotrader for the run till it sells ad and leave it up there for say $4500 and lower it occasionally every couple weeks a couple hundred until interest starts to pick up and you get an offer. call a junk yard or two and tell them your situation and see what they recommend or say to do or even offer you...

Quick Reply: what do you think is better, fix it or sell it??