LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

How quiet can 20" rims be on a ls430?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-09 | 08:30 AM
jdmacken
Driver School Candidate

Question How quiet can 20" rims be on a ls430?

First of all this site is the best on honest opinions/tips tricks for the fine automobiles! I have a delimma. I found a 2004 LS430 with 20" rims and tires. They are Kuhmo tires. The rears are 275/30 x 20. The fronts are 245/35 x 20. However, the tires are extremely loud in the cabin when you drive it. I currently own a 1990 Ls400 and I love how quiet it is. My wife wondered if other people could hear them when we were driving. She also stated that she thought we were driving a diesel. They are even loud at 5-15 mph. The problem is the set up is pretty sweet and I am out of my leaque when it comes to this. I am mechanically inclined and have done a lot of work (timing belt, ac etc...) my self on my current LS400 but not tire set ups. What would be the best bang for the buck tires for a set up like this? I understand that I will lose some of the softness of the ride but will I also give up on the quiteness? I am trying to negotiate a price so I was asking for help from the club!

Thank you in advance for your opinions!
Jeff
Old 09-25-09 | 09:01 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

there is a lot of talk from about a month ago on this thread about which tires are better and quieter, so search this forum and your sure to find some info. if you get really used to driving this car stock (the quietness) then you'll think it is really loud when you put 20's on it or rather low pro tires for 20 inch wheels. if you are not coming from such a super quiet car and just step right in to this ls w/ 20's you may not really even realize the noise. its not super loud and the only people that will hear you are ones that are on a sidewalk that you drive by and it will only be a little louder than a quiet luxo sedan anyways. it may sound like a bmw driving by instead of a super quiet stock ls.

have you test driven this car to make sure that there are no vibrations when driving at highway speed of say 75 mph yet??? make sure you check this square before deciding to buy it
Old 09-25-09 | 04:28 PM
bonnsha
Driver School Candidate

Check out the Tire Rack......they have lots of information on tires.......www.tirerack.com
Old 09-25-09 | 07:04 PM
Tee

I had the same issue when I put 20's on my car, I started this thread...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-too-much.html

I know that it is a subjective topic and you get what you pay for, I decided to let the tires run their course until it was time to buy new ones. I asked the guys at SELOC meets what brand tire they prefer and Falken FK-452 sereis came up a lot, so I decided to try them and I love them!